1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Flores

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Of all the comments on this hire I think yours might be the one that is right on the money

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I am very excited for him to come aboard. Also glad he was able to get onto an NFL staff.

With his lawsuit with the NFL and against 3 teams, I don't think many were going to reach out to hire him, but I am glad we did. We are going to have some really decent NFL coaching minds on the defensive side of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don’t know, I don’t see Tomlin stepping down any time soon.

Tomlin could coach another 10-15 years IMHO.

Maybe Austin leaves and he becomes DC ... maybe.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    In a civil suit he will need to prove that it more then likely could have happened, with evidence. It's a lower burden of proof.

So, it depends on the evidence that Brian Flores legal team can gather from the organizations (emails, text messages, memos, phone records etc.)

You never really know what skeletons can/will be uncovered. Just look at what happened to Jon Gruden as a result of the Washington Football Team/Dan Snyder investigation.

EDIT: Also, isn't the allegation against Miami that they offered him money to lose games and tried to get him to violate the leagues tampering rules by meeting with a player under contract (probably Tom Brady)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Wouldn't stun me if he is the next DC in waiting.

And if things don't work out with Tomlin, I think Flores would get serious consideration for HC here.

6. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, Flores alleges that the Dolphins tried desperately to get Brady instead of Tua; even though useful idiots will tell you that Flores did not want Tua (even though he did nothing to get Brady or Herbert).

Any wrongdoing against Flores is in Flores' head. Flores asserting that the only reason the Texans hired Lovie Smith is to spite him is the most narcissistic thing I have heard in my life. Lovie got to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. Lovie Smith actually has a winning record as a HC (though barely above .500). Lovie Smith is a more proven coach than Flores.

I wonder if Lovie experienced racism growing up in the 1960s in Texas? Why hasn't he filed racial discrimination suits one after the other? Flores suffered so much racism in NYC in the 90s and as a multi-millionaire football coach?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Except this idea that Flores is would be quite flawed. Pittsburgh has never employed a HC over 36 since the merger. I seriously doubt they will start with Flores.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was just posting what I saw that Blount said during Super Bowl week.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually, I didn't read the article, I just happened to see that headline.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Houston is the biggest joke of a franchise in the NFL, Lovie is this year's version of David Culley, they hired some old guy nobody wants then they will fire him after a year or two.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    seems to be a pattern: set up black coaches to fail, Ross is crying dont look over here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I summed it up pretty much. I thought he would say he and Haley didn't get along but sounds more like Harrison's final weeks with the team. Promised one thing or another and never saw it materialize.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I disagree, it doesn't happen often but the Steelers don't go after retreads for head coach.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

I hope Flores can bring some of this to the Steelers defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Am interesting take from a radio talk show on Flores and others from the Belichek coaching tree. Those that were strictly under him before becoming HC seemed to have a more brute my way or the highway type of attitude. Following BBs type of authoritarian style, but trying to get that authority without really proving themselves. Did not say all were like thar as I really do not follow his tree. The point being of Flores gives himself an opportunity to learn from others it may really benefit him moving forward.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We have made Hell for Lamar without help.
    I'd say 4 tds ,6 ints,and 6 fumbles, and his only win is in overtime against Mason/Duck combo.
    So I'd say we are doing great against Lamar anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Assuming that the NFL does not blackball him out of a job in the future. Granted, quite a bit of this will have to play out pending the results of the lawsuit filed by Flores. However, as I see it, no matter which way the lawsuit does turn out, this is not going to be a good look for the league for a long time.

Now, the league has weathered many, many storms already. This one though??... going to be quite the tough spot to get out of.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't care either way, but How many places can You actually sue, and still get a job at???
    God Bless the NFL

20. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    The general consensus at the time was Tua over Herbert. It's revisionist history to suggest they "should have" taken Herbert. In all likelihood the Chargers would've taken Tua if they picked before Miami.

Flores did nothing to get Brady because he wasn't willing to break the league tampering rule to meet with him. I'm sure the whole event left both sides disinterested.

I guess the point you're missing is that it doesn't matter whether it happened or not. The burden of proof in a civil suit is proving that it likely could have happened. There is also the court of public opinion that will be a factor. If you honestly believe that NFL organizations have nothing to hide when it comes to internal communications then you are fooling yourself.

Lastly, whether or not Lovie Smith chose to bring to light his experiences with racism in the NFL has no barring on Brian Flores decisions. It's a matter of what people are and are not willing to accept.
    You should also remember that African Americans didnt have the right to vote until 1965, so do you think businesses or the media would have taken complaints about racism seriously? Unfortunately it was a part of everyday American life BUT times have changed.

Nobody knows anything about the case because it hasn't been tried in a court. We only know about the initial filling. The whole point of your legal system.

Anyways, enjoy your trolling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Haley juggled Thomas Jones and Jamaal
    Charles almost 50/50.

Tomlin has had one feature back his entire tenure, even when he had very good backups like D Will and Blount.

• Like Like x 1
  22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Filing lawsuits based on what could have happened is spurious.

You're the first person who acknowledged that Tua was the consensus best QB in that draft after Burrow (who Ross tried to get). I appreciate your take for that, thanks.

23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tomlin is only strong as his assistants. I wonder when Tomlin stop trusting Butler? Because, it had to be pretty bad in order for him to take over defensive calls. Now, if only we could get an OC with some fresh ideas and imagination

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have 2 say as a SEC fan ,and someone who spoke on this before. I wouldn't have drafted Tua before the 2nd round. All those injuries on a Super college team are because He hung onto the ball 2 long.....because He couldn't read the field. Does that mean He never will????
    No, but there is a big chance He won't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The League will be fine, ultimately what will come of this is some kind of revision to the Rooney Rule, which everyone agrees needs to happen. The only issue is what changes do you make? I have a hard time coming up with the best way to go about it.

Unfortunately for Flores, it will take awhile before he gets another HC shot. He is suing the league, which is all 32 owners. I can't see the teams he mentioned in his case giving him a shot. And the fact this case is all about the interview process might scare off some others. I do think he eventually gets another shot at HC though.

• Like Like x 1