1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Flores

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Feb 19, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    :roflmao: The court case will proceed. It is baseless so guaranteed he settles out of court. Flores' strategy is identical to Ben's rape accusers- threaten reputation(s) and hope for a payout.

If Kaepernick cared about the black struggle he wouldn't have settled either.

What use is a court case to the black community that only enriches the plaintiff who signs a NDA?! (Don't answer that- it requires thought. Treat it as rhetorical and attack me personally).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the NFL is in a position of having to investigate the claims. Not sure how the investigation will take place but the investigating entity has to be an objective third party. I’m sure at some point we’ll all get the opportunity to listen to testimony in front of Congress and decide for ourselves. And you are correct, it would be extremely stupid and foolish to make those tanking claims without evidence. Does Flores have copies of those $100k “bonuses” for lost games? Did he even accept the offer? Was it in writing or does he have recordings? If not, I guess it’s just a he said, he said kind of deal. It just sounds too outlandish for me to believe at face value.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Fixed it for ya…;)

4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    The next head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers is now on the team , :hehehe:;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I want to live in that world, too, but people being woke isn't the reason we don't. Decades of people of color being passed over for head coaching jobs an extremely high percentage of the time created this issue. Hell, it was in our lifetime that teams didn't think African Americans could play quarterback in the NFL. Check out Warren Moon's history as the prime example.

Men like Brian Flores grew up with that, which is why I understand where he is coming from on this issue. I don't agree with how he is handling it, but seriously, you are way too quick to accept what are basically rumors about him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, I’m very familiar with Warren Moon’s story and how he was forced to play in the CFL. That was an absolute injustice as he was one of the purest passers I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. I used to hate facing him when he was with the Oilers and that dang run and shoot that used to give the Steelers defense fits. Doug Williams was another great quarterback that had to fight through stereotypical thinking to play QB in the NFL and went on to be the first black quarterback to win the Super Bowl.

I get all that and those are clear cut cases of racial discrimination and that should be absolutely unacceptable to all of us. We should find race baiting and false accusations of racism and racial discrimination equally unacceptable. It’s an affront to all of those who had to endure the real thing and Flores and others are beneficiaries of those struggles.

I’m not just basing my opinion on rumors. All of my comments have been based on what seem to be credible news stories and on the facts of the lawsuit recently filed. I’m willing to allow the lawsuit and investigation to play out before commenting further but if his salacious claims aren’t proven then he’s lost all credibility as far as I’m concerned. Those are some heavy accusations and he and his team have the burden of proof.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By all means, show us this evidence that it is baseless? Better yet, show some integrity as a change of pace and admit you are just speaking your biases.

I'm still waiting for proof of your accusation against me. I will take your ongoing silence as evidence that you made that up, too.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    My point is that Flores grew up with those stories and he looks around at a league dominated by African American players and white coaches. At the time he filed the lawsuit there was one African American head coach in the NFL. I'm even saying he is right. I have no idea what he has to back up his accusations against Ross. I am saying that it makes sense that he would see racial issues in the NFL, and he is far from the only person who sees it that way. Even Roger Goodell had to admit the league has a problem.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok, asking someone to ramp up a personal attack on you is new. We’re not doing that here. @FosterMorris don't do it.

Both of you need to chill out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    This hiring reminds me of Todd Haley who at the time had issues with the former team he was the HC of the Chiefs. Although his were a bit nuts, accusing the team of recording all his conversations and spying on him. Let's just hope Brian Flores doesn't hang out at Tequila Cowboy or trashes houses.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know what all happened in the Flores case, just more talking out of your ass :facepalm:.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I haven't seen one credible person in the media not say this isn't a good hire, it has nothing to do with being woke, it's because Flores is a good defensive mind.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt it, if Flores does a good job, he will get offers to be a DC or possibly HC elsewhere.

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Haley hosts show on the SiriusXM NFL channel.
    He seems like he's pretty smart and has really good insight and stories of his times in the NFL.

15. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    The idea that Flores is difficult to work with is nonsense. I think he is a gifted coach. I think its a great hire.

On the issue with Tua:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    LeGarrett Blount said he didn't have a problem with Tomlin, he said his problem was with Haley, I guess Haley didn't get Blount involved in the offense enough.

17. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I have followed Flores ever since he brought up his lawsuit and my conclusion is that Flores, during his media blitz, is coming out of this not only looking like a very effective communicator but like a Navy Seal, while Ross and Elway look like they failed an audition to clown college, hiding behind their overpaid PR teams, Ross especially. The NFL is investigating Ross for good reason. Elway showing up an hour late to an interview with a potential head coach for the team he is managing screams sham interview . Does he not need a head coach? We are talking about an interview for the head coach of the football team he is managing. What is more important than that? Too busy a schedule to show up on time? Maybe he shouldn't be in his position because he has poor time management skills.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Strange as it may seem there was something to Haley's paranoia. Not sure if they were bugging his private line but some of the things the GM was doing at that time were straight up spooky. Hiding candy bars in plain brown paper bags then placing them around the stadium and facilities to judge the custodial staff's attention to detail.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did you see that recent article? My take away from it was that while the writer was trying to create a Blount vs Haley narrative it was more along the lines of Haley seeming to string him along. Tell him that they would get him more work, he had a great practice session, they were planning on making him a feature in that week's game plan and never carrying through on any of it.

20. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    This is a lot of talk about a position coach that will be in Pittsburgh 2 years tops. He is, by most accounts, a good coach. Hopefully he helps right the ship and sets the table for the next guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    It's in the lawsuit.

Hold on... Flores is also suing the Texans! Claiming without evidence that they failed to hire him as "retribution." Flores is a clown. The Texans and Dolphins hired a black and biracial coach respectively! :roflmao: What a clown show. Steelers are officially a circus! If you are a head case Tomlin wants you! :roflmao:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Evidence to support your claim that it is baseless is in the lawsuit? By all means, show us what you mean.

That the Texans hired a black head coach is evidence that the lawsuit isn't one reason they passed on him? Again, you're funny, but it isn't. In this case, I think it is more a matter of you wording your point very poorly because I agree that he can't fairly cry racism by the Texans when they hired Lovie Smith.

That said, you have not come close to supporting your claims about Flores.

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Isn't Tomlin the guy who's only interested in running the wheels off the main running back and use the backup very sparingly?

24. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Looks like you found yourself a job! Congrats!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

You can be adamant in your stance against this hiring and you've stated the reasons you use to support it.
    They are valid.
    But if you ask me, I think you've manipulated the facts some.

Starting with the distractions.
    Man, it was a massive disappointment how Bell and Brown ended their careers here, downright disgraceful in fact. There is nothing you can do when an employee of ours just goes nuts. Both were huge megalomaniacs, that's not on this franchise.

Flores was a good LB coach in the Patriot Organization. That's really not debatable, and he did deserve a shot at Head Coach, he was legit.
    But in all honesty, New England Coaches don't seem to do well 'outside the hive.'
    RE: His lawsuit - Where there is smoke, there is fire. Some folks tell me that there was some oddball stuff going on in Miami, I don't know as I was not there.
    Mara's organization is troublesome, very troublesome as they have run the thin line for some time on ethics.

Minkah is a Free Safety? Why is his name brought up? He's under Austin and Brown.
    Flores is in charge of Linebackers.

Looking forward, Tomlin gets some undue criticism here, I'm sort of surprised. I've attended NFL events, meetings and such and I know scouts and representatives from a lot of teams - Tomlin is held in high regard.
    That said, Flores is a coach on his staff and Tomlin calls the shots (some even say the defense, which I cannot confirm yet. Though it should be noted, defense is his forte.)
    Flores' job is to evaluate the players, coach them to the schema, coach up his depth, and have them ready to go and execute the defensive game plan.
    He has performed this well in the past, the future is not guaranteed. He could be an epic failure but based on his record, he should do well.
    Some coaches just aren't Head Coaches.

Lastly, the lawsuit. As mentioned, I think he does have some merit as it certainly rings some of the tones, but I think he's over charged some. When filing such cases the person making the claims does that most all the time as it is commonplace to whittle the claims down. I can't begin to make a call on this one.

• Like Like x 1