1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Flores

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Feb 19, 2022.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Now that I filtered through the some of the BS it amazes me how anyone could not like the hire of Flores?

A top notch Defensive coach, with a Solid Head coaching resume.

He will not only help players get better he will have a say in the game planning. Hope he can coax Dont'a Hightower for a year or two.

Its a Win/Win as far as i'm concerned.

He will be under Rooney's blanket until all the lawsuit stuff gets worked out. I see it as another major chip for the Rooney Rule to get better cemented. Disagree or not I don't care. Art II may not be the best football man but he does respect and hold true what his Father created for equal rights in the league. Token interviews a joke. The old boys club should take notice.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So what’s your answer to the NFL’s imbalance among the coaching and GM ranks? Do they implement a quota and require that 70% of the coaches and GMs in the league are POC because 70% of the players are? :shrug:

3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I agree that this defense can use some "attitude", especially cleaning up some of the poor tackling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Jobs should go to the best qualified candidates period. Hiring people because of race or sex is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m sorry, I can understand why ALOT of teams would have reservations about hiring him. He’s toxic and a petty backstabber by some accounts and the suit against the league shows that he doesn’t take too kindly to being dismissed from a position. He’s gone through about 5 OCs in two years and did his best to blow up Tua T’s career. He may be a good coach and I honestly was pitching him as a possible Steelers DC when I heard he was fired, but not after his lawsuit in which he made many sensationalistic accusations against those who fired or didn’t hire him. If the investigation bears those accusations out, I’ll apologize but I for one don’t think it was a good hire. I hope it works out, I really do, but Mr. Rooney better cover his butt if he ever decides to part ways with Flores.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2022/1...lopment-as-quarterback-for-the-miami-dolphins

And do you really think Minkah Fitzpatrick is excited about this hire? If he didn’t know how best to utilize Minkah’s skill set what makes us think he’ll magically turn Bush around.

https://dolphinnation.com/2020/08/1...ian-flores-miami-dolphins-tell-all-interview/

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    A lot of screeching in here from people who know only a tiny shred of what’s going on; basically just what is being reported. But hey, don’t let ignorance of the facts that have not yet come out get in the way of convicting Flores of being a back stabber and making false allegations. That will all work it’s way through the legal system. I find some of what he has alleged to be interesting, and likely tough to prove, but I’m not going to pass judgment until more facts come out. If the date of his text exchange with Bellechick is true, that’s damning for the Giants. If he has anything in writing on the “tank the season” instructions from Dolphins ownership, that’s damning for Ross. We’ll see.

My actual concern with Flores that is well documented as factual is that Minkah bristled when playing under him because of how Flores tried to use him. Fortunately Flores is working with linebackers, but I hope Tomlin gave a quick call to Minkah to ask “would you have a problem with this?” We need Minkah for the long-haul more than we need any defensive assistant.

I have a buddy in Florida who is a rabid Dolphins fan, and who follows every bit of information about them as closely as the most rabid Steelers fans on this board follow our team, and is also very critical of any missteps that they make. He liked Flores and said “great hire!” To me yesterday. He wanted Flores to remain in Miami, and thinks they went the wrong direction.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Staying farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away from the racial aspect of this.

I like this hire. I have been wanting the Steelers to add top rated assistant coaches to the staff for years. That is exactly what just happened. For once the Steelers get a guy that comes in, and is an upgrade over the guy he is replacing (Keith Butler).

From things I have read and watched over the last few seasons, I am not sure how much I like Brian Flores the person. But as a defensive football coach, no one can question his credentials. If you focus on just that, and cut through the BS, this is clearly a solid hire.

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Ignorance of what facts? The comments I’ve made have been based on information that’s been reported. Maybe it’s fake news, I don’t know, but the issues with Tua and Minkah seem to have some credibility. And I’ll tell you one thing, if Flores is accusing an owner of bribing him to throw games and accusing other owners of showing up drunk and disheveled at interviews and others of racially discriminating against him, he dang sure better have some solid evidence to back that up. Those are SERIOUS accusations and if true, heads need to roll. If those allegations are proven to be false on Flores’ part he needs to be held accountable because those kinds of accusations can destroy a person’s career. If they are true, the NFL has far deeper and darker issues than I think any of us realize.

• Like Like x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I think the Flores/Fitzpatrick thing in Pittsburgh is much ado about nothing. Flores will be working with the linebackers here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The key word is “if.” Look at your earlier posts. You’ve pretty much convicted him and said if it turns out that you’re wrong, well sorry… Good thing the legal system doesn’t work that way.

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    My earlier posts also said that I’m willing to let the investigation play out and I’ll apologize if his accusations are proven true. The NFL is denying them and his accused are denying them as well. The issues with Tua and Minkah are well documented so take them as you will. I believe in innocent until proven guilty and those accusations are sensationalistic and just sound like sour grapes to me. We’ll see what comes of it but I hope it doesn’t become a distraction to the team this upcoming season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

You think they are gonna give him a glorified title and he only works with the LB's?... im not sure abt that

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know everyone is always down on Tomlin and his coaching tree. But this is a great hire and an opportunity for Tomlin to put his stamp on things. While agree he should probably be our DC, you never know what may transpire over the new year or two.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    He’s not going to be responsible for managing the development of a QB or hiring/firing staff, so the Tua and OC thing isn’t much of a concern to me. By all accounts he was effective as an assistant in New England. The Pats always seem to get the most out of their defensive talent. They always seem to have guys who make play after play for them, and don’t pan out anywhere else. At minimum, he has been involved in leading that type of culture of “doing your job,” and I think our ILB room sorely needs that kind of tough love.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I think as per the usual people are creating mountains out of molehills. Minkah is an all pro free safety and will stay there. Flores could have sat home or coached the linebackers for the Steelers. He chose coaching linebackers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SteelersFan1234

SteelersFan1234 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020

Steelers are not getting any 3rd round picks if he stays with Steelers for 2 years, that statement is false

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

You’re close. At first the nfl denied them. Since then they’ve done a 180 and started investigating the allegations. I tend to believe the allegations against Ross. You’ve got to be pretty freaking stupid and foolish to make a claim about tanking games for cash without evidence. As per flores’ claims about the nfl’s hiring practices it certainly appears if the giants screwed up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This is a damn good hire. Hats off to Tomlin for bringing in Flores. Flores should be the Assistant Head Coach/ D-coordinator, IMO.

Enjoy watching some Steelers fans heads explode in this thread. Freakin' hilarious. Now... let's bring in Kaepernick to compete with Rudolph and Haskins. This would be pure comic gold.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And I don't believe in fans who whine about every hire :shrug:.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He also led Miami to consecutive winning seasons for the first time in 20 years, I think his problem is his lack of people skills.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Steelers fans they never make any good external coaching hires, then when they do, not that guy we want a different guy :facepalm:.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It wasn't ESPN, it was from a lot of different people who cover the NFL, their owner is terrible they chose Tua over Herbert :facepalm:.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We don't know if Flores will coach ILBs, or OLBs.

24. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Flores chose Tua. :roflmao:

Flores legally swore that the Dolphins owner was aggressively pursuing Brady but that Flores refused to break NFL rules. According to Flores the Dolphins were actively trying for other QBs than Tua! :facepalm:

Flores wanted Tua. Flores got Tua. Flores was wrong. Flores has a personality disorder. Flores blamed everyone but himself for his own failure.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He had some say in it, I'm sure he had to get Art's approval with that lawsuit going on.