1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Feb 14, 2022.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I saw a possible trade with the Jets we would send either Claypool or Johnson for their 10th pick so we could get Pickett. Would you part with one of our receivers for this?

2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    If you're going to make such a trade, you better believe in the guy you're picking and that he will actually be there.

*Note: Pickett's stock is rising.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would think we would need to give up more than that for their 10th pick.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    No way the Jets would give up the #10 pick for Claypool. If the Jets would be stupid enough to make that deal, of course you take it. That one is a no brainer.

No I would not take that trade for Johnson. DJ is a top 10 receiver in this league right now IMO. Pay the man. Any new QB that comes here needs a solid #1 guy. DJ dropped a couple of passes at the end of the season and people act like he sucks.

BTW, there is no way Pickett is making it out of the top 5. So trading for the #10 pick isnt going to land the Steelers Kenny Pickett anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not even slightly interested

1) I'm not sold on Pickett being anything more than Mason or Haskins... both the Steelers had first round grades on a well... if Pickett was in last year's class I dont think he is even a first rounder

2) the cost. To trade from 20 to 10 costs the Steelers a first, second and third round pick... to get Bush Would you be happy if the Steelers traded a #1 for DJ?

I would think DJsv value to the league is a 2nd at best...Clayppol maybe a 3rd... and that 3rd is more on potential. .

3) Let's say they do it.. #20, DJ and a 3rd..... worst case he sits for a year or two.. and does nothing to help improve anything but the back up QB spot.... best case he wins it outright and starts the season..... but with no one to throw to...who ever is the QB is forced to turn around and hang off 70% of the time behind this Oline.

If that's the plan you better hit 100%on free agents on the Oline and find a WR1 while you are at it

If they get Pickett or Willis at 20....I won't like it.. but I'll understand it... but no way am I trading up for those QBs

HACK

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    And our 1st round pick.

I could see the Steelers 1st round pick plus Johnson for the Jets #10.

Claypool is not going anywhere right now and would not have much trade value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we gave up way too much draft capital to get bush, which is not a difference maker worth that kind of move. that's what happens when you go into the draft with a heavy need at a position. the must fill spot muddles clear thinking and makes teams step over other needs or positives long term. if this group did that for a LB, what do you think they would do for a QB? a WR is easier to acquire then a QB. this draft has some really good ones. i don't think claypool or johnson would be that difficult to replace. top 10 if that player is number 10 is closer to the middle of the pack then he is to the top of the heap. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    I would do that in a heartbeat, even if Pickett gets picked at 9.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I'd trade our entire WR group for another 1st round pick. Don't care what spot it's at. Fact of the matter is not many teams would take that. DJ is the only player of value and he's probably not getting you a 1st RND pick let alone top 10. Cracks me up how delusional some fans are about trade values. Too much time playing Madden on Xbox I guess.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Husker-Steeler94

Husker-Steeler94 Member

Jan 25, 2022
    Its gonna cost much, much more. The 49ers had to give up 3 firsts to move from #12 to #3.

Teams are charging a fortune of draft picks especially if they know you are moving up for a QB.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just swap firsts and add a second and third if there is someone you want that bad. That’s what it took to move up for Bush from #20. Not a lot IMO to move up to #10. No one would give up the #10 pick straight up for those guys anyway.

I’m higher on our WR’s then some here and think both Claypool and especially Johnson will make life easier on a rookie QB. Claypool a big bodied target and Johnson who gets open very easily. Don’t have to waste time for a rookie WR to get up to speed.

In an offensive scheme that would be embarrassing for college level ball plus a washed up QB, both Johnson and Claypool did pretty well all things considered. Wait until they can open the playbook and defenses have to cover all levels of the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'd swap picks with them and send Claypool in a heartbeat, though I doubt that does it for them.... I wouldn't trade Johnson though. He's quite literally the only legitimate WR threat we have right now until Claypool shows otherwise.

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Claypool OR Johnson for the no.10 pick, lol no way they'd do that!

Even if we swapped first round
    picks AND gave them one of those guys...I don't see it happening imo

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Giants or Texans will get Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I would in a heartbeat

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Based on pic value, we would likely need to trade firsts, toss in our second and toss in Claypool.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I have been stating what the OP said for about a month now though with differing semantics. While I do believe the team will have to trade up, finding the correct trading partner is still the primary objective. I still believe that the Philadelphia Eagles are more in play than the Jets if the guy the Steelers want is Malik Willis. That said, should Pickett and Corral both be off the both before pick 10... Pittsburgh will have no choice as Malik is likely to be long gone even by the time the Jets are on the clock. Let us not count out the likes of New Orleans or the Commanders here as they could swoop in and take Willis long before the Steelers do.

*** EDIT ***

Did not see the aspect of the team trading a player to get there. That said... whatever it takes the Steelers to get their guy.. they will do it. Now, Claypool is still on a Rookie Contract and it would be unwise to do so. However, should that be the case... so be it although now the team has to spend 2 picks on WR; one for being the deep threat and one for being the slot.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Saw a mock draft where the Steelers traded to get the Jet’s pick and drafted Sam Howell. :facepalm:

19. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Mason, Haskins, Dobbs. hahaha (lol).

if we pick the best player available and not for need, I dont think we pick a QB in round 1-3

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Without looking who had more rushing TDs Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, or Ben Roethlisberger?

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Has anyone stated the Jets have the 4th and 10th which I'm assuming is the reason for the trade talk. So they can get their guy at 4 and still swap with Pittsburgh and get value.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Can't believe how many people want to run Claypool out of town so early in his career. At this point he would probably welcome a trade. The guy hasn't even come close to his full potential. All of our receivers couldn't get any separation last year. Maybe we should point the fingers at coaching. Especially the Head dude. We constantly go after coaches that will not be of any challenge to his higher position.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have complained about Him, but I don't want to run Him out of town....I just want Him 2 get better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Claypool sucking last season is on him, DJ improved from 2020 to 2021, they both had to play with a limited Ben.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

The whole offense sucked last season from every single player to the coaches. Najee showed a bit of potential but even he danced in the back field way too much. I guess we should run him out of town also.