1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

free agent targets you would like to see us go after

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Also, he tore his ACL in November. Be lucky to see the playing field at all in 2022. The last thing we need is a QB with a giant brace on his knee that has less mobility than Ben.

I would rather them look at a healthy vet QB that can be there for the offseason training to pickup Canada's offense.

Trubisky or Mariota are your 2 best candidates.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I also like center Ryan Jensen out of Tampa Bay, but he would cost a pretty penny.

3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    They did absolutely nothing with Buddy Johnson last year, so why spend another 3rd or 4th rounder on an ILB?

4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You can't even add Buddy to the conversation yet... he is just a likely to be cut this year as he is to make the roster

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    DJ Chark is definitely someone I would be interested in. The team has an affinity to bring in FA's they have previously scouted before. While Kevin Colbert himself did not make a debut at LSU's Pro Day in 2017, Mike Tomlin did. I would imagine that Coach T would definitely at least inquire about him.

LVE is still my personal odds on pick as far as LBs go; RaShaan Evans being the other.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would love to see Trubinsky, which would take the pressure off of reaching for a draft pick QB. Jansen at center; Chark at WR, and Evans at ILB.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This would be quite the spending spree for certain though by spending spree I mean exactly how much each would command. Among the four, I can easily see Evans commanding the most; Chark a close second. Tru and Jensen would be solid pickups though I would want James Daniels myself.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Johnson was injured most of the second half of the season.

9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I figured Trubisky for 5m, Evans 10m, Chark 7m, and Jansen 10m figuring singing bonuses to average the cap number.. I would be fine with Daniels or Jansen. Give them the same offer and sign the first one to accept. Free agency is going to be the key to setting up the draft. The Steelers have been good about keeping their own free agents, but now, most of their own aren't worth resigning. It's time to do some deep sea fishing instead of wading in the kiddie pool. Yes, I give Tomlin permission to use that line.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like the line.:thumbs_up:
    I will use it

11. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm thinking Chark gets 12ish mill as long as he shows he is healthy

HACK

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He won't get that from the Steelers, they would pay that to Diontae over a free agent WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I didn't say they would.. that's just my guess what he might get

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    How many free agents are signed on the first two days of free agency? The Steelers are usually very quiet on those days. Do you expect them to be any different this year? I'm going to wait and see how they do the first couple of days at free agency. I'd like to think they're going to sign a couple OL and maybe a DL as well. So many holes on this team it's hard to prioritize where they need to start. Maybe Mason Cole is in their reach for the interior offensive line.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Speaking of LSU talent, Donte Jackson should be at least in consideration. Not likely to happen as he may command a good penny but still... someone to consider.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they still have white, vaughn, sims and miller on the team. sims and miller have some nfl experience. white played some here as well. i wouldn't be mad if they brought ray ray back either. he made some tough catches and held the ball after big hits. i could see us mixing these guys in with johnson and claypool. give sims and miller time in a full camp and whomever is the new QB and we could bargain basement a good group together. the money could be spent elsewhere for secondary and o-line. ILB is going to have to be delt with. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t know
    Yes
    No
    Agreed
    Probably
    Yes
    Don’t know him

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ben and juju officially have voided contracts as of today. we still owe dead money for several years. the 41 million we once had is down to 31 million and only about 25 million of that is usable. https://steelersdepot.com/2022/02/c...isberger-juju-smith-schuster-officially-void/

big difference in what many were kind of expecting. schobert would get us a little over 7 million, but also create a voided position too. banner would net us about 5 million, again that's one more less tackles on the team that needs replaced. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Everything I have read is the Steelers will be in prime position to fill holes via FA this year. Nick Korte of Over the Cap says they can get to about 64 million easily enough.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Banners 5 million should be a no brainer. How do we replace Banners 5 offensive snaps last year?:) It is time to cut bait on Banner as he has never lived up to Daddy's potential.

Also, don't forget to add the extra 10 million we were under last year to this years Cap.

Without the 40 million dollar anchor that we were always carrying, the Steelers should be active in the first couple of days going after big name free agents this offseason.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not sure where all that will come from but we could get into the 40's. we still will have to replace those guys. we carry 3-4 into the season as well. :cool:

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just a thought, in getting to 64 doesn’t that create more holes? Is this a diminishing return thing?

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Love the oluokun and Lindsay idea.

I could see oluokun being a huge upgrade.
    Lindsay has always produced but undersized and that's the knock, I think. Something about him keep teams from using him. I'm not sure why.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you basing this on the last, oh say 20 years of free agency, when the Steelers typically don’t do anything on the first couple of days of free agency, let alone big names?

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Trubisky would be ideal to compete with Rudolph and Haskins, IMO. I doubt it will happen.

• Agree Agree x 2