1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need for Some Mobility at QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Jan 31, 2022.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    While I can see that a certain degree of mobility is needed at QB. We hopefully will not go too far in the wrong direction with it. Degree of mobility would be Ben in his early years, Josh Alan, and Patrick Mahomes. With the rules the way they are set up to enhance the passing game, there is still something to be said about the classic drop back passer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jackson has his issues but Shannon Sharpe doesn't really explain the real reasons why AB isn't a good fit.
    I doubt Harbaugh would want him, but even if he did, they already have Bateman, Brown and Andrews. Those are 3 very skilled receivers that eat up targets. Plus Jackson has plenty of designed runs. Sharpe only mentions Andrews and not the other 2 skilled WR's they have.

A running QB still needs guys to throw to, but Jackson has them already. So them not needing AB has nothing to do with Jackson running as much as he does. If they didn't have Brown or Bateman, there would be room for AB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    FYI. Josh Allen runs just as often as Lamar Jackson.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yet these guys that work more from the pocket are in the super bowl. :shrug::cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Don't be surprised if the Steelers draft Malik Willis from Liberty. He has mobility off the charts.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed he does. He also has an arm that can make all the throws as well.. though much of those throws happen off script, off platform and outside the pocket. Consistency... or lack thereof.. is his main problem. Truth be told, he is arguably the biggest boom or bust prospect in the class (my vote is still on Evan Neal but that is a discussion for another day). Having Malik redshirt his rookie season will definitely go a long way in his development.

Sam Howell is another mobile QB who the Steelers have an eye on. Strong arm, great arm talent and superb deep accuracy, he is also more than capable of moving around in the pocket. Like Willis though.. he needs to redshirt though his reasons have less to do with his consistency and more so to do with this transition into a more Pro Style Offense.... or whatever the hell Matt Canada will be running.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

They also have WRs with "Thermonuclear Capability" as well!! This also helps! Stretching the field is something the Steelers have not had since Mike Wallace.

Would like to get back to that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Malik is a small school product. You're right and that is what some scouts are saying.
    I've ran across Steeler Scouts at North Carolina looking at Howell and I know for a fact they are using a fine-tooth comb.
    Howell is thought about as the 3rd QB, he lost a lot of weapons, as he had an off year. As a result, he might fall in the draft.
    I personally think he is underrated but like Pittsburgh, I want to scout him in great detail.

Kenny Pickett is the guy I like, but I think he'll go early.
    Matt Coral, I'm mixed on.
    I don't like Ridder.
    Carson Strong is another one I would want to scout heavily and I've seen Pittsburgh there as well.
    Brock Purdy is an Asterix guy in my draft book. He fits Pittsburgh but is he capable? My guy kind of says no.. but again, he's one I keep an eye on.

The combine hype will change some statues, and of course, the QB panic will also drive the price up.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Welcome to the board Karl. It sounds like you have pretty good knowledge about the college game as well. Looking forward to your draft analysis as draft day gets closer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I agree with some mock drafts that are saying that the Washington FT will reach for him because that just sounds like something they would do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :puking 3::puking2:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Thanks. I don't profess to be a guru, but I do have opinions.

15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Man, you said it.
    Washington has no idea what a QB is. I've been around them for many years.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

FYI: Josh Allen runs slightly less than 7 att/game. (About the same with Kyler Murray). Lamar runs a bit more than 11att/game. So Lamar runs at least 50% more.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Mike Shanahan was fired for knowing what a QB looks like. :lolol:

The Skins drafted a QB in the 4th better than their 2nd overall pick.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Amen.... then they couldn't even say his name right.
    Bruce Allen is a scum bag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly! Mobility is nice, but guys like Lamar Jackson have a ceiling once they are figured out and generally a shorter starting career. To draft a guy that runs around in the pocket to avoid sacks does not make him a great prospect. Ben was a rarity with his ability to escape to extend the play, not pull it down and run with it. That is what made him so dangerous in the earlier part of his career. I doubt we will find another like him for some time. I would take a drop back passer over the mobile QB. Pocket awareness is a huge deal.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's why zappe intrigues me. Watch his film. That head works through progressions very well. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m still taking Allen over any QB. He can run and throw. No one is advocating for a QB that runs but can’t throw, thats dumb, stop pushing that.

The fact that there isn’t a QB like that in the SB is not the winning argument some think it is, do the math.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    In my 36 years of life. I have learned 3 things about drafting NFL QBs.

Some turn out great, some turn out average, and some flat out stink.

If we take one I just hope he turns out great!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    @S.T.D. What is your take on Allen again? :hehehe:

But seriously, I would like a "mobile QB" that is Allen's size, although, even he has been hurt running.

Which are the best mobile QB prospects of all time? Steve Young, Mike Vick, RGIII and Lamar Jackson? If the last 3 didn't work how are the Steelers supposed to find one in this draft?! I half think Tomlin wanted Jackson and got vetoed by ARII. Every time Tomlin says "mobile QB" it's to ARII saying "If you had just let me take my guy..."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    I think the Steelers are looking for a qb with mobility in the pocket, this is not to be confused with a run first qb like Lamar. A QB who get run for ten yards when the defense turns their back or buys some extra time in the pocket is so important these days.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know what some are not taking in consideration????
    That the more" mobile Qbs " come into the league the more zone defenses will be ran. The more CBs , and other defensive players that can play zone mainly concepts will be in demand.
    The more mobile the Qb the more man coverage goes out the window.
    Same reason the great Bill Belichicks defenses have such a hard time with them. Cam ,and Lamar have never lost 2 Belichicks D. Now add J. Allen is starting 2 destroy His D.
    The changing of D will happen.
    It's the main reason We usually(usually... key word) don't have problems as much with "mobile QB "