1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

a Big Ben trade that never came to be

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    People have different stories of what happened during a crime all the time. Ask any police officer worth a damn and they will tell you that. Throw alcohol into the mix, and it becomes more of an issue, so no, we don't know that they were lying.

There is a very clear picture of what happened until Roethlisberger was alone with her. You are right that nobody but the two of them knows what happened in that room. Of course, part of the reason for that is Roethlisberger had his crew blocking the door. That crew included teammate Willie Colon and an off-duty police officer.

I'm not saying he was definitely guilty of anything more than being a dirtbag trying to take advantage of a much-younger girl. I am saying that the fact that police didn't think they could get a conviction doesn't mean he was innocent.

2. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Again police don’t decide if there is enough for a conviction that’s the DAs job. Different stories usually happen when they are on different sides of the argument. In this case her friends story didn’t match hers that indicates a lie.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Just my opinion, but I'd be more curious about the other accusation since it is really he-said-she-said, with no one else as witness.

The Georgia one seems like he tried to hook up with a girl at a bar. They probably were both drunk. As an adult it sounds foul, but that type of stuff happens all the time in college. Who here remembers college? Granted Ben was a few years out of college at the time ... Hence why I think the Georgia Police at the press conference told Ben to "grow up."

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    one accusation was before the Super Bowl. The second was a year afterwards.

5. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Yeah, he was trash. What was I thinking? We won’t have another HOF QB in the next decade.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Who said he was trash? All I said is we didn't win with him so why are we thankful we didn't trade him for what I'm sure would have been a large return?

7. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    If this is true then this would be the 2nd biggest mistake the Rooney’s ever made, number one was passing on Dan Marino…..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, the DA presses charges criminally. It does make a difference how cooperative and compelling witnesses are but they want strong evidence rather than waste taxpayer time and money. I mean nowadays a progressive DA might have tried Roethlisberger for political motives. Who knows? I think he was lucky he wasn't accused during "me too."

There wasn't close to enough for a criminal trial. If I thought Roethlisberger committed sexual assault I sure wouldn't be a Steelers fan right now.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Police are part of the conversation, but yes, the DA ultimately decided there wasn't enough evidence. Either way, the overall point stands. Roethlisberger wasn't proven innocent. There just wasn't enough evidence of his guilt to charge him.

Different stories happen among people on the same side all the time. People perceive things differently. They remember things differently. This happens even when alcohol isn't involved.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is why so many Steelers fans force themselves to believe he was proven innocent when that simply isn't true. They can't deal with the idea that they might be cheering for a team with a rapist at quarterback.

Here's the thing. There are bad guys on that team. It is almost definitely true that there are bad guys on every team in the NFL. They just don't all get caught. Just get over this idea that teams are entirely populated by decent people and you no longer have to try to fool yourself.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. It’s pretty obvious there was no crime going by the DA’s comments. Do people really believe Ben could get away with not one but two sexual crimes, really?

I stopped watching when Vick was starting, I sure as hell wouldn’t have been watching if I thought Ben raped anyone.

Only thing he was guilty of was being an a-hole. Lot of players have been.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When considering the allegations, don’t forget that coworkers of the 1st woman said that she was bragging about sleeping with Ben the day after the alleged incident. The Georgia incident history is a bit less clear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If it had happened about 5 years later Ben would have been watching football on TV with Ray Rice.

14. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben was suspended for 4 games (down from 6) for sexual assault accusations. Brady was suspended for 4 games for deflating footballs. Shows how serious Goodell takes deflating footballs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Well, he’s gone now, so
    At least one of “we” is thankful.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't obvious at all. I think the DA did believe that Roethlisberger raped her and was pissed that he didn't have enough evidence to prove it.

I'm sorry, but it simply isn't as clear as you are trying to make it out to be. We don't know if he sexually assaulted that girl or not.

I don't believe the other accusation had any merit, even though he did settle with the accuser in Lake Tahoe. I remember reading reports that she bragged to her friends and co-workers about sleeping with him, then changed her tune when he returned to the hotel a year later and blew her off.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know, I think that is speculation on your part. I never heard anything to back that up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m talking about from the DA’s words that it is obvious not from the public reports of what happened that night which I admit left a murky picture.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The folks here concluding that he was innocent are speculating and passing it off as fact.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The people on here that are concluding He was are doing the exact same thing....No????

21. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1