1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2022 Steelers Mock Draft: Pre Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jan 17, 2022.

1. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Willis is less of an NFL starter than Desmond Ridder, who is a project at best. Stay away

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Willis, Ridder, Strong (winning me over more and more), Howell, Corral, Pickett are all first rd worthy.

This second rd talk is rubbish. The class isn’t nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Willis and Ridder probably deserve to be bottom of the first rd because of their inconsistencies but Willis won’t go that low due to raw talent and upside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Strong and Howell are the only ones possibly worth a first

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You really need to see more of Pickett if you think that. Howell has the stronger arm, but it is Pickett who was consistently reading defenses and making all of the throws this past season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    I watched Pickett all year. He’s Taylor Heineke

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He's a Conference USA quarterback who only started one season? You're funny.

Heinicke was a lesser player against lesser competition in college.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Heineke has developed since college, obviously. Pickett will be a decent QB who could float around the league as one of those not quite bad but not quite good type of QBs that end up carving out a decent career being a bridge QB. Heineke, Bridgewater, Fitzpatrick tier.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That's not entirely true. Heinicke may have played in a lesser conference (ACC blows pretty hard too though), but he had 3 pretty prolific passing years in that conference. Pickett had 3 middling years followed by a surprise breakout year where he looked awesome. If he came out after the 2020 season he likely would've gone undrafted, but now he's being talked about as the top QB in the draft.

I don't think its entirely crazy to pump the brakes on Pickett as a sure fire signal caller in the NFL. He showed a bunch of talent this season and very well could be an excellent NFL QB, but he's hardly a sure fire pick. I like the kid and would be happy if we drafted him, but I think your original statement was a bit off imo.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    My bad. I made the mistake of trusting sports-reference.com, which only has his statistics at Old Dominion for 2014. I'm not sure why because they made the switch to FBS in 2013.

That said, he was an undrafted free agent for a reason. He didn't even make an NFL roster until late in the 2017 season, three years after his final year at ODU.

There are no quarterbacks who are absolute locks in this draft, but to say Pickett is the same level of player coming out of college is comical.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The ACC still offers a hell of a lot better competition than anybody ODU faces. Pickett had shown talent in the past. He simply didn't put it all together until his final season. Joe Burrow did the same thing, albeit against superior competition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Willis is a better passer than Jackson. Jackson is a much better runner.

12. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Pickett is no where near as good as Burrow

13. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Draft Howell and his partner in crime

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Howell, strong, pickett, corral, zappe. Would be happy with any of them but wouldn't throw them right in the fire. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please show us this evidence that Willis is a better passer than Jackson. Keep in mind which one of them won a Heisman Trophy and which barely got on the field when he was at a major college program.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please show me the post in which I suggested otherwise. I'll give you a hint. It doesn't exist.

17. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    You made the comparison, dingus

18. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    A kid named Pierce Clarkson will be the next Lamar Jackson at Louisville the number one dual threat QB will probably start the 23 season.His dad is a QB coach in California and trained Big Ben when he was early in his NFL career. But his dad purchased 13 bill boards around town to announce his son coming here. I’ve never seen this before. I hear about Ohio State football players getting 2 million in NIL money. Dark times for college sports. I think the correct way to go about it would be to pay every athlete a modest weekly allowance.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sorry. I didn't realize that my point was too complex for you to follow. Would you like me to try to use smaller words next time?

I never suggested that Pickett is as good as Burrow. What I did point out is that sometimes a college quarterback doesn't put it all together until his final season. That doesn't mean the growth isn't legitimate. I used Burrow as an example of such a player. He was only average until his final season at LSU, but the ability he showed his final year in college turned out to be real. The same could be true of Pickett, though what he showed his final year at Pitt wasn't as good as what Burrow showed at LSU.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    No, I understood what you were saying. But it is worth pointing out that the level of play Pickett reached was far below Burrow.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That you feel the need to post that suggests you actually don't understand what I was saying. You think my point was that Pickett is as good as Burrow was coming out of college. He's not, and I doubt he will be as good of an NFL quarterback.

My point was that it is possible for a quarterback to be mediocre until his final year of college ball, then have a breakout season and it isn't a fluke. Burrow is a great example of that.

22. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Not surprising you're not getting this. Pickett improving =/= he's good. Burrow was good at Ohio State but was beat out by Dwayne Haskins. Pickett was pretty meh until this past season where he became decent. He's getting hyped because it's a down year for QBs and he's the first decent QB Pitt has seen in like 15 years, so the fans are going crazy about him, on top of Ben no longer being here making him a hometown option.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For what it’s worth.

• Like Like x 1
  24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    right now Howell and maybe Pickett, as projects to develop for future trade or future back ups to a real franchise QB in next years draft or a future draft. Right now, I dont see any of these guys as a long term solution at QB,

If Howell and Pickett are off the board I would not spend a pick on a QB this year. I know people like Carson Strong, I think he really is a good passer, but his mobility and longevity questions disqualify him, we could use that pick on so many other needs

as of right now, pre combine, for me its Howell or Pickett or no QB and spend on OL, DL, DB, ILB, WR