1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Why you not like Howell? Just curious as I see him as the strongest QB in the draft. Safest to draft too.

I think his floor is Baker Mayfield and ceiling is Russell Wilson. Dude can ball. Great arm, moves his feet well, can take off if he needs to, throws an excellent deep ball, has good touch, and can take a shot while releasing it. I really like his game. Howell put much more NFL caliber tape on display during his college career than Pickett or any other QB in this draft.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Simply because He doesn't really read,and react quickly. 1st read- 2nd- 3rd read,and so on. Which is Simply the most important thing in any Qb.
    Hell most people will talk about how great a Qb is ,and half the time they are throwing 2 their 1st read, or running. That does not make a great Qb. Also accuracy throwing 2 guys that are 15 yards open doesn't either.
    92% of all Qbs coming out of college have strong enough arms. Foot speed of a Qb has never impressed Me unless He is great in the pocket first. Also every time I've seen Him have 2 step up in competition He wilted.
    Now with all that being said. I will be watching Him in everything He does from now on(Allstars games, and such... also the Combine), and It may change My mind.
    Justin Herbert is an example of somebody that changed My mind with the senior bowl, and combine. So there is that.:thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Fair enough. QB is a hard position because there aren't many college offenses that go through reads like that. They go 1st read, (maybe second read), run. And really the defenses in college are generally so bad that there are always guys 15 yards open. You basically draft these guys on their measurables, skills, and mental fortitude (as well as their attitude). That's why there are so many QB busts imo. It's just a really hard position to scout.

For what its worth he had some excellent talent around him in his first two seasons and he lit it up. They all got drafted and he had a down year this year on a bad team and that's why a lot of people have cooled off on him. Still lots of draft process to go through as you said. It will take any QB a few years before they are awesome anyways. It took Joe Burrow nearly 2 full seasons to hit his stride (even though he had shown some promise before then). Josh Allen blew up year 3. Herbert in his second season like Burrow. They all will have stuff to learn, its just whether or not the team believes that particular guy will be capable of learning and adjusting to the NFL game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The pro comparison for Sam Howell has to be Baker Mayfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Probably so. They are the same size and have similar talents, hell they even kinda look alike lmao. However if Howell can learn to process the defense and make better decisions than Baker, then he will just be a lot better than Baker. His release isn't as low as Baker so he probably won't have as much issue with passes getting swatted at the line (similar to how Russell Wilson manages to not be horrible at that despite his height). Only time will tell I guess. I definitely wouldn't let that comparison deter me from drafting Howell if we thought he could learn to process the defense at a NFL level.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Unfortunately I think they may actually want Howell or Corral because they ran an RPO offense all day. The problem is they were also gimmicky up tempo/clap your hands to snap the ball/1 or 2 read passing offenses.
    Strong and Pickett were the only guys who operated a passing offense that looked like an NFL one, even if they were spreads. They are the most NFL ready but Strong has virtually zero ability to create outside of the structure of the offense. There is no way we win SB XLIII with him at QB, not with that o line. Howell and Corral are shiftier runners than Pickett with better contact balance, but they are not much faster in a straight line.

Malik Willis needs a Tennessee style offense (play-action heavy, rhythm throwing, 2 reads and a checkdown, let him run only when all options are exhausted) to succeed. His temptation to run is too high and that passing offense was an absolute adventure against Mississippi.

Pickett is the only QB of this class I would take in the first round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What do you guys think about Uni. of Cincy QB?

Desmond Ridder?

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I haven't seen enough, but what I seen so far I didn't like, but that has only been 2 games. I do want 2 watch more.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Odd arm strength. He can throw it far down field yet his intermediate passes do not have the zip that the other QBs do. It almost feels like he is taking something off of it. Regardless those are breakups at the NFL level.
    Slight frame, 6' 4" and only 215 pounds. He and Carson need to get a bit bigger or risk getting broken in half.
    Oddly robotic at times when throwing the ball, probably a product of the offense he runs.
    He is "6 foot 4" fast. Very slow acceleration but chews up ground when he can open his stride. Someone on this board said they think he runs a 4.5 40. I can practically guarantee he runs in the high 4.7s. Not shifty but that is not a huge issue. I only want my QB's carrying the ball when they have to.

I need to see more games from him. Most of the throws he hits are with guys much more wide open than they will be in the NFL.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not much.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You may get your guy after all. All it took was a down year for his team where the talent around him was depleted.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, there is a natural comparison there. Baker came into the league and played way above the line for a rookie QB. Maybe the best rookie season for a QB in several years before Herbert came along. Baker’s biggest issues all appear to be mental and emotional to me. In my observation he completely lacks the ability to keep his emotions in check, and as a result of his emotional volatility he has high highs and low lows, and is prone to bad decision-making and breakdowns in his mechanics. I see no sign on film of Sam Howell having the emotional volatility that Mayfield has. He seems cool and composed most of the time. Even in that awful opener vs. Va Tech, he had very little help but only started to turn the ball over when he needed to take risks to try to make things happen. I’m not saying that I want Howell - yet, but the more film that I watch, the more potential I see. Physically he has a stronger arm than Mayfield, and the stoutness of a good running back. He has solid mechanics and accuracy, and when he moves to buy time or run, he has great balance to bounce off of arm tackles or impact tackle attempts. I guess you can say that I’m warming up to Howell as a pro prospect as I watch more and more of him.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i really wouldn't be against us getting an UDFA QB after the first 7 rounds either. bring another guy into the fold for the practice squad or maybe even as your 3rd QB if he works out. crumb from kent state may be that kind of guy. he didn't look bad when i watched him a couple of times this year. zappe looks like he can play as well. don't rule out these guys ranked lower at this point some have played pretty well without the national hype. i hope we are looking hard and brandon hasn't worried more about a GM job then his scouting duties up to this point. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I watched Sam Howell carve up my Pitt Panthers for 2 years when he had help(above average teammates)
    then last year without any of those type players. With Tom Brady retiring I thought Steelers may have
    a chance to move out of their pick and get him @30. Not now.

15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, you’re totally correct on Baker. He’s a classic “chest puffer” in that he’s walking around like the big man on campus when things are going great… but when things go bad he wilts and falls apart. Hence the high highs and low lows you spoke about. It’s a horrible trait to have for an NFL QB.

I know the comparison exists and it’s not “technically” incorrect, but that doesn’t mean he will turn out like Baker. He could end up what everyone thought Baker would be, and if he does, then he will be a top 10 QB in the league. I just know that the comparison will turn many people off from him since we all know what Baker turned out to be so far. It’s not entirely fair, but if you tune that out he does have a lot of tools to be an excellent NFL QB. He definitely is my favorite QB draft prospect this year.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just wanted 2 say I've watch every Qb in Bama carve My college team up every year. Doesn't mean they are NFL Qbs.

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    LOL especially Pitt's defense the last 3 years. No, he can play, but will need help which
    Steelers would have to surround him with quality OL/ players. He or any other QB in this
    draft is not capable of carrying a team. I will be happy with a pocket passer that is mobile, can read defenses
    and be accurate with his throws. Mac Jones had a wonderful season. He checks all the above.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Can someone explain the riddler love? I don't see it.

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Come on now, you’ve GOT to love the RIDDLER! 0A1556A6-06B3-4644-A6B6-2BACEC366C48.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Ugh you and my group what's app.

That sh*t autocorrects me everytime.
    Well done.

For real though, what is it that I'm missing. Could it be a ..... Riddle... I can't solve!?!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    These are some of the guys that will probably be available in next years draft. Most are seen as potential 1st rounders.

There's some serious rocket arms here.

C.J. Stroud
    Bryce Young
    Spencer Rattler
    Jake Haener
    Phil Jurkovec
    Will Levis
    Jaren Hall
    Tyler Shough

Let's roll with the great Rudolph next year. If we finish 11-6, we may have the guy. Finish 6-11, at least we know, and you have a shot to grab the next guy. A lot of guys to choose from.

If everything goes as planned, Stroud and Young will probably be gone very early. After that, who knows.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    heck i'm not opposed to brock purdy either. he's kind of the forgotten guy in this draft. he too lost a lot of players from around him in a year. :cool:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Purdy isn't an NFL starting QB, he was at Iowa State all those years and didn't seem to improve much.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Strong and Pickett also met with Tomlin,

• Like Like x 1