1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the 20th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 25, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Colbert has been to North Carolina a few times this season to watch Howell, and Tomlin has talked about a QB mobility is important. This is his 2020 highlights, he struggled in 2021 after losing his top two RBs, and top two WRs.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I already foresee a scenario in which the Steelers trade up for him given the information already available. There are too many signs pointing to this direction. Colbert's visits combined with Tomlin's EoY Presser statements make Howell as good of a shoe in as any. That said, Colbert has also seen both Matt Corral and Malik Willis in action the same.

I severely doubt Corral will be available by then. Malik Willis?!.... by pick 15, if still available, I would pick up that phone if I were Colbert should Howell be gone as well. Willis may be from a non Power Five school but he possess the greatest upside among any QB in the class; mobility included.

Either or would work for me.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The only thing worse than spending a first-round pick on a quarterback with accuracy issues like Willis would be trading up to get him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Then He should be perfect for the NFL because Qbs of the NFL never lose their Wrs, or Rbs. LoL. Just only about every year.
    How about not taking a Qb in the worst Qb draft class since 2014, and wait till next year, or we could waste draft picks 2 move up,and put the organization back 3-5 more years, and watch 3 great Qbs be taken the next year by others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    No thanks on Howell..... I've seen him play in person against VT and I've never been impressed.... he's basically a shorter version of Mason Rudolph, in my opinion.

Not sure of the player yet, but I'm leaning offensive line or inside linebacker right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You've got the shorter part correct, but that's about it. Rudolph is much taller than Howell. Howell is tough, athletic, and he has a very strong arm. I'm just not sure Howell makes enough good decisions in the passing game. Also, he was a very physical runner when I saw him play this past season. That isn't going to fly in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I didn't say that's what I would do, I think that's what the Steelers might do :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not a fan of Willis, I watched that Ole Miss game, he's raw I don't see him contributing much as a rookie.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Howell is way more athletic than Mason, Howell is a good runner, and has a good arm.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt the Steelers would be interested in Strong with that knee brace he wears, it seems Tomlin wants a more mobile QB.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What do you see Howell having in common with Rudolph? Howell has a significantly stronger arm, is more athletic and breaks tackles like a 220 lb. RB. Really, other than height he’s far more physically talented than Rudolph. I’m not saying that I want to draft him, but I see zero similarity to Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  14. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Knee brace is temporary

15. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Using a first rounder on a G is generally ill-advised. I would only do it if BPA

16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    This guy is a stud. His athletic ability is impressive. I've been watching video. A lot of big boards have him in the top 20. He has versatility as well.

If he can be a 10 year Faneca/DeCastro type, he's easily worth a pick at #20.

I have no faith in the other green. He's physically limited. He plays with poor balance. He consistently let's guys into his chest. Back up G maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I absolutely love the upside of Howell in this draft. There's no guarantee that next year's class of QB's will be any better than this year's. Waiting and hoping isn't always the best game. If we like Howell, we should pull the trigger. He has a killer arm, solid mobility, moves well in the pocket, and is as tough as they come. I think he has excellent potential to be an excellent QB in the NFL. QB is such a hard position to evaluate since college offenses are so much different than NFL offenses, the defenses are horrible so dudes get wide open, and the QB's are rarely asked to go through reads and check downs. You almost have to go off pure skill, intelligence, and attitude/intangibles. I think Howell checks all the boxes for me. Who knows where he will end up going, but if he makes it past the top 10 selections, I would very much be entertaining the idea of moving up to get him.

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    For those that are interested in Malik Willis..... here's a recent clip from steelers depot..... not sure we need a QB with accuracy issues from a small school in the 1st. I would agree with his summary.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/2022-nfl-draft-player-profiles-liberty-qb-malik-willis/

also same guy reviewed Howell, and agrees with the Baker Mayfield comparison..... which I'm not sure is so favorable. :) Still plenty of time until draft day to change.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/2022-nfl-draft-player-profiles-north-carolina-qb-sam-howell/

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    DeCastro says hi

• Like Like x 1
  20. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    He was solid but not really worth 24th overall

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Green font or ignorant?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That was pretty high for a right guard. He grew into a good one. It didn't start out as a pro bowl level plus he took out our center. It took a couple of years but he was solid. :cool:

24. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    How many QB needy teams are before 20.

Last count I saw 4. They are all top 15 so it's more a question of reaching.

I think reaches will be had, I think top 3 will be gone.

Just saying to keep perspective of options. I think Howell is gone.

25. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Depends how FA goes. Where Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, and Carr end up will make a big difference. Will be interesting to see what the 49ers do with Jimmy G and if the Giants move on from Daniel Jones as well. Small possibilities the Colts move on from Wentz and the Phins from Tua.

Jags: No
    Lions: No
    Jets: No
    Giants: Maybe
    Texans: Maybe
    Panthers: Yes
    Bears: No
    WFT: Maybe
    Seahawks: Maybe
    Broncos: Maybe
    Falcons: Yes
    Vikings: Maybe