1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Watching the playoffs = Steelers are NOWHERE close to relevancy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Jan 24, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't think teams were as desperate for QBs as they are now. 5 QBs were taken in the first 15 picks last year.

Every few years a franchise QB is found after the first but it's not common. The odds are way better in the top 10. Steelers should be drafting 10-15 in 2023. They should be thinking about getting draft capital to move up.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It actually is pretty common for franchise QBs to be selected later than the top 10. Not always later than the first round, but I would say you have almost just as good of a chance at getting a franchise QB at any pick after pick 10 than you do within the first 10. Teams may be desperate, but that just means QB's get overdrafted. More guys going in the first round just because that position is a need. We have a lot of money to spend and a whole draft class to bring in. I would be shocked if the Steelers selected sooner than 15 even with Haskins or Rudolph at QB. If we feel the need to move up to get someone (this year or next), then I would assume we would need to include the following year's #1 as compensation. No need to "stockpile", as we already own the capital needed to move up... its just whether or not there is a guy available that the Steelers think is worth that type of investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Mmm. I think Pickett is going to the Lions. The Steelers can't move up to get him at 2 but I take your meaning that if he fell they could package next year's pick now to move up.

Yes, some of the best QBs have gone in the 10-15 range.

4. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    You completely lost me with Cousins. He's just not that good if one goes beyond the stat sheet.

I agree that you don't need a Top 10 pick to find a franchise QB. It just gets a lot harder. A lot harder.

As for "a few things to go our way", yeah sure. You can't argue with that. The problem is those "few things" rarely ever all go your way. Some of them will and some of them won't Let's start listing some of those things:

a) Tuitt and Aluala come back and are as good as they previously were.
    b) Claypool goes back in time to 2020.
    c) JuJu re-signs, stays healthy, plays like 2020.
    d) The Steelers CBs play at a respectable level
    e) They get much improved play at ILB
    f) The OL gets a major upgrade
    g) Mason Rudulph doesn't play like someone who tied the Lions or the guy who got benched in favor of Duck Hodges. Or we get a serviceable veteran.
    h) Our OC improves

I'll leave it up to others to put %'s on each of those actually happening or add others, but you get the point. We've got a lot of question marks and there's no way all of them are answered in the positive. We're not a "few things" away, imo, from being competitive. By "competitive", I mean being able to go toe-to-toe with the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals on a consistent basis. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we beat the Bills this year. In week 1. We'd lose to them 7or 8 out of 10 times this year. Even with that win we went 1-5 vs playoff teams this year and got our butts handed to us in those losses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    The play of the WR and ILB is mostly on coaching. What Tomlin asks the ILB to do was a stretch for Shazier who is the fastest LB I've ever seen.

WR is on the OL and coaching. Chase should be running out and ups, corner and post routes but the ball is out of the QB's hands in 2 seconds... terrible fit for him. Chase would be used like Deebo Samuel if the Steelers were smarter.

Agree with about everything else though. Alualu is 35 next year? Tuitt gets injured a lot. I thought Wormley and Montravius played well vs. KC. Hopefully the depth is a lot better next year.

6. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    171 points given up in his last 4 playoff games running Tomlins defense. Had a hand in moving up in the draft to take Bush. Hired a O line coach who was in over head and ran back to college Hired s Offensive Coordinator in over his head.Decided to start a rookie at Center with 4 games experience in College. He should be locked out of the draft room period. They need to listen to their scouts Mike has a terrible eye for talent and Edmunds and Burns being drafted in the 1st round was all him. I watch a ton of ACC football and laughed out loud when they wasted first round picks on those two.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I agree here. I think Rudolph or Haskins is good for now while we add some more pieces. But at the same time if a really good QB is available that they think can be better for the long term, don't hesitate to get them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I understand what you mean about Cousins, which is why he isn't in the Top 10 QB list and is just in the Solid Starter list. Personal opinions of his game aside, he has been a solid starter in this league since he became one and has done it one some pretty middling teams in Washington and Minnesota.

Obviously not everything will go our way, but just some of your list would have to in order for us to be a playoff contender. We don't even know how we are spending our FA money or what we are doing with our draft picks. Maybe a few FA linemen get it done up front, or a FA DL if Tuitt doesn't come back. Heck, we could go out and make a huge splash at CB or ILB. Maybe our draft pick comes in an shores up either of those positions. We have much fewer holes than most teams do in a typical rebuild, and we have many more excellent football players than most rebuilding teams have. I'm not saying its a guarantee that we rebuild in a year or two, I'm just saying that we have all the pieces available to have just a couple things go our way and we are right back in the mix.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Disagree...We have many holes...OL ( more than one ) DL, ILB, CB...Even WR,we don't have a no.1 imo

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Using Claypool like Deebo just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It makes sense in SF cause he's better than any of their RBs at playing RB. That's not the case here. Najee is a better RB. Claypool gets knocked down by a stiff breeze, and I don't ever recall him running the ball between the hashmarks like Deebo does. Using Claypool as a RB weakens the Steelers at both RB and WR. Why would you do that? That's just outsmarting yourself.

11. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Even great teams have a couple holes. Our OL is atrocious, and our DL is ok pending Tuitt coming back (but if not is definitely a hole), ILB is one and possibly CB (we have Sutton as a quality starter already). I disagree about #1 DJ is definitely a top 20ish receiver in this league whether you like it or not (and through his warts he is still an excellent player). We have like 50 million dollars to spend in Free Agency. Some of those holes will be filled in that manner. The rest will have to be filled via draft. There's 22 starting positions on offense and defense and we have like 6-7 total holes to fill with 50 million lying in waiting? I think we will be okay. I would be singing a different tune if we were dead up against the cap and had the same number of holes to fill.

This is normal guys. Just because the past 15 years we are used to filling maybe 2-3 holes but we always had to do so through the draft due to our cap situation. We have more holes because we have less dollars committed to the team right now. Lets take a look after the draft and FA and reassess the situation before we talk about our "many holes" and "how far we are from being a contender". We literally have a quarter of our total cap space available yet to be spent.

12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If they do, they probably won't change the Gatorade. And then, maybe folks on here will get their wish if after next year Tomlin goes the route of Sean Payton.

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He was his rookie year and if he continues to be dodging hogs he is not going to last long. Just a matter of time.

14. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Simply untrue. The Chiefs have finished no worse than 9-7 since 2013 when Reid got there, 4 years before they drafted Mahomes. Their entire starting offense only has 3 first round selections on it, same with the defense.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  15. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Deebo runs in outside zone or from screens overwhelmingly. There's some inside zone. The Steelers already run Claypool in jet sweeps and get him the ball on screens.

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Mahomes and Allen did a great job especially when the defenses were playing back 15 yards in prevent. I personally think Rodgers is the hands down best QB and I'm sticking with him. As far as letting our great players go to another team to win a ring, what guarantee does that happen? There is no guarantee. So letting your best players go, thinking its only fair to get on THE TEAM to win a SB, doesn't make a lot of sense unless they want to get out of Pittsburgh like a few other former Steelers have. I don't feel bad for millionaires playing a game for entertainment. JMO>

PS Bungals still suck and I hope they lose big. Sorry

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The Franchises that care how they did 50 years ago are attempting to re capture the success that they had... so long ago. That is the point @SteelHack is making. Whether you care or not is irrelevant as you are not an NFL Owner.

• Like Like x 1