1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Traitors

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    This idea of "honor" is hogwash. NFL teams cut players at the drop of a hat without regard to "honoring" contracts. Players should do what's best for them. They don't care about loyalty to a particular team nearly as much as fans. It's simply a job and their goal is to make money first and foremost.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    That was on Flores. Flores from his own mouth talked about moving Minkah around from FS to CB to LB. Also Flores is extremely hostile and several prominent Dolphins were cut/traded even at a substantial loss.

Patrick Graham seems very even as a man and doesn't get too animated. If Minkah had an issue with Graham it could have been Xs and Os but that would be coming from Flores anyways in terms of overall philosophy and Minkah's usage.

3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    To a point. The narcissists hurt teams. Players who only care about money are usually trash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Blount was bad news from the beginning. Preseason, he and Bell, blowing weed smoke out of the car window. Bell, get in trouble because he was driving.

Bell, wanted more money then the organization was willing to pay. This happen to lots of players.

Brown, just need help. That blow that he took from burflick rendered more damage then we thought.

Deebo, was still a force. I don't know what porter was doing. Why wouldn't you play the man?!

Ingram, is still a force, just like deebo was. You bring him in to play but don't play him. We could've used Experience and a nose for the ball this season.

Mike Hilton was a force to be reckoned with ... another poor judgment on not paying a player.

Conners ... is way better then our backups.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Bell was cut by the Bucs before that game.

He also shouldn’t be on the list. He wasn’t under contract. He left as a free agent.

As far as Harrison goes, that’s all hearsay. Harrison gave a side to the story, that’s it. Bottom line is he gets paid to do a job, the coach determines what that job is, not the player. Nothin was mismanaged, no room for selfishness on an NFL team.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And he lost $

7. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Benny your comment is everything that is wrong with the game today. Not enough men who play for the love of the game, but too many immature millionaires doing it JUST for the money....JMO

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    "No room for selfishness"?! It's professional athletics... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And who doesn't care about money? Don't you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    The Harrison thing sure seemed mismanaged.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    By Harrison

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did you watch Harrison's A Football Life? Several players backed Harrison's story, Porter tried to sidestep it and said he would have handled differently and Tomlin didn't address it more really

13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    In this scenario I'd be fine with the league minimum as it's still rough close to something like 720,000 more than I make a year but I wouldn't turn down more if the had it and wanted to pay me more. I'd like to think if I was a pro athlete the man my parents and grandparents raised me to be would still be at my core. Pay me a fair wage and I will work my til off for you.

14. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Id agree with you if contracts were guaranteed and we didnt see teams screwing players over all the time. Some are immature i'll give u that, but they need to maximize their skills for life changing money over 2 to 3 contracts.

15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    This is also why I don't like restructuring. Yes everyone says it's great you get the bulk of your money up front as a bonus, your cap hit for the year lowers and the team gets cap space, but then you have to do it the following year as well, now you are a soon to be 30 yr old TE who instead of making 2.5 -3.0 million a season like your deal originally is for your base salary has ballooned to 12.5 to 13 million and in the back of your mind you have to do the math and say they save 7.5 if they cut me, no way they are paying a 31 year old TE nearly 14 million a season. It's a wonder more players don't ask if there is another way to help the team that doesn't involve making themselves more attractive to being cut.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Agreed. Why should players demonstrate loyalty when owners don't?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Doubt it, he should just be thankful we saved him for an unbearable career death and out of that polluted hell hole.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ingram was playing quite a bit at the time he asked to be traded, I think his problem was sitting behind Highsmith. Harrison wasn't getting the snaps because they had two first round picks at OLB. They couldn't afford Hilton especially with the cap being reduced by 16 million in 2021.

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Harrison gets a pass by virtue of the the fact that he made the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history for the Steelers which was as much a part of winning that game as the Ben TD pass to Holmes. He and Holmes both earned their lifetime Steeler stripes irrespective of how their Steeler careers ended. The others, in spite of some great regular season performances, can go suck an egg! :threaten:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jack.

Absolutely 100% agree on both Harrison and Holmes. Unfortunately, Holmes was another that just could not keep himself out of trouble. Nonetheless, he too has earned a lifetime of free passes for criticism as you outlined. The play of each of those two in Super Bowl XLIII was undoubtedly some of the greatest to go down in Steelers' History.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey rel.

As stated in this Thread (somewhere) I realize that he was not under contract with us at the time. He was in a state of "limbo" per se. It was his week-to-week updates of him intending to sign his one-year contract and dragging us along for the ride. Unprofessional. I stated numerous times that I liked bell and was even willing to bring him back. However, that all changed for me when he played for the rats for a short time. Once you go there, no matter what you have done for us, you are on my crap list. I can tolerate the exodus to any other team but the rats, no way. All the good that he did here was wiped out by that move.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey KMM.

It is funny how the world of sports seems to be the only profession for some around here (not picking on you KMM) that gets that "it is okay" to not honor a contract. I get it about the owners, but it happens in all facets of work. Teachers, Doctors, DPW, Restaurants and on. Again, for me, it is about integrity and finishing the job up on a high note. If the boss wants to take the "low road" then so be it. I was hired to do a job and sometimes that job description changes. It may not always be to everyone's liking. However, I will stay the course (within reason) and do what is best for me and those that I was hired to work for.

An example. I was hired as a Computer Teacher but one school year, one of the math teachers got ill. Also, being a certified math teacher, my boss stated that he needed me to fill in for a "few" weeks but it ended up being almost an entire school year. Yes, initially I was "steamed". The school's computer department and all that it serviced our school was completely put on hold until that teacher returned to work.

I had enough sick days and then some to sit out the year or wait until the teacher healed and came back to work. However, the children would have suffered as well as the school overall as it was difficult to get substitute teachers in our school district. I turned a "negative" into a "positive" and committed myself to learning as much as I could about the newer math curriculum and the latest state math assessment. In the end, I proved instrumental to help elevate our school's state math test scores but more important, it helped the overall "team" (school). It all worked out after I got over the initial "p-oed" time period. Hey, that is me and how I view these things.

23. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He never actually said he was going to sign, it was "reported" by "sources". Bell actually stayed quiet throughout the process which was shocking.

As far as the Rats, I can assume you feel the same way about Rod Woodson.

24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey rel.

I am pretty sure that bell did make comments about when he was coming back to sign the contract. As far as woodson, you are 100% correct about his situation. You want to play for the purple puke that is your prerogative. We all approach fandom in our own way. I do not care what he did during his time in Pittsburgh. He is banished from my Steelers' fandom list for that move. I have nothing but pure disdain for the rats.

25. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Your opinion, or were you there?