1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Watching the playoffs = Steelers are NOWHERE close to relevancy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Jan 24, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Burrow had horrendous OL play. Herbert looked amazing vs. the Raiders. It's tough to sort it out right now because they have limited history.

Last night Allen had one of the best games I've seen from a QB. Especially that play where Ingram came on a blitz and Allen stole a Chiefs move and Dante Halled him!!! That was unreal! Ingram just sprawled out at his feet.

Ingram sucks. Also Ingram was bickering with Chris Jones in the 1st he's a cancer.

2. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018

I've posted it before but it bears repeating (at least in my own mind), the AFC is absolutely stacked with young QB's who are damn good. Besides the 5 mentioned you've got a former league OPoY in Lamar Jackson then you got Lawrence, Z. Wilson, and Davis Mills. One of them probably ends up being decent. Let's call that somewhere between 5-7 really good QBs in the AFC. You don't need an elite QB to beat any one of them in the playoffs or a single regular season game, but to beat two or three of them in a playoff run with a mediocre QB? That's damn hard.

The Steelers, or any other team for that matter, need to get a franchise QB ASAP or else it is going to be very hard to be a real contender in the AFC for the next 5 years at least.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He looked pretty good last night. Though You know that doesn't mean he'll be in next year SB. I don't know why You disagree the longer a Qb is in the league the more He gets paid, the more it cost His team in cap????
    Therefore making it Harder to get 2 the SB. More than likely this is the Best team J. Allen will ever have around Him. The one You saw last night.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    and i know we all hate Lamar, but he is pretty good. They will rebound with some IR players coming back and a re-tool of their OLINE.

5. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    When it comes to young talented QBs, the balance is really tilted toward the AFC right now. The best QBs in the NFC are guys like Brady, Rodgers, Russell Wilson. In the AFC it's Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Burrow. The ramifications of that for any team without a franchise QB are clear. If you're in the NFC, you might be able to get by in the 2-5 year window with an average QB cause the best ones are going to be gone soon with no clear successors, unless you think Fields, Lance, Love, Hurts et al are the answer. If you're in the AFC, you're in a world of trouble if you're one of the have nots, because the haves are going to have their haves for awhile.

• Like Like x 3
  6. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Of course QBs get paid more after 4 seasons. Typically they aren't as good in those 4 seasons as they will be later, but even a rookie who will be a franchise QB later can provide competent performances that are enough to win with help.

I understand that if a team hits it perfectly with a rookie QB on a stacked team they could have a 2-3 year window with a high chance of winning a Super Bowl like the Chiefs and Bills now.

If teams thought that was a sustainable model they would let Mahomes, Allen et al. hit free agency.

My point was that in years where a QB on his first deal wins we hear that is the way to win a Super Bowl; but then the other years when 40 year old Manning or 44 year old Brady wins on a big contact we hear nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    See Pittsburgh Dad? He said putting Mason against these teams next year is gonna look like the first 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. :sign0020:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Welcome to the 1980's. Hope the music improves to compensate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Aren't you then letting Tomlin off the hook for the last ten years since Ben's contract soaked up so much cap space?

I'll hang up then duck and run.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I could see Bengals going to the Superbowl. We might have to get used to this for the next 10-15 years.

We are the NEW old Bengals.

Instead of crying Bengals lady it is going to crying Steelers lady.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It was Romo. They rushed 3 and Romo said they should have only rushed 2

12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    " The Standard is the Standard "...What a great playoff weekend, and I agree, we ain't close!

With that being said, I do realize you need A LOT to happen to wins a Super Bowl! Obviously, talent first and foremost, health ( one or two great players can derail a season, luck ( see this years playoff games )

I'm Popcorns toughest critic ( I think he's horrible ) But, I don't give him **** because I want a certain record,a certain number of playoff wins,a certain number of AFC Championships, a certain amount of Super Bowls...

I don't like him, and I don't think he's the man for the job because...

The unpreparedness ( HE'S THE HC )
    The discipline ( His players always doing clown **** and again, HE'S THE HC )
    A " supposed " Defensive minded Coach ( who calls the D ) and has WAY to many games where they get absolutely shredded...By ****ty teams...And totally embarrassed...In playoff games!

I think a lot of people, would be satisfied if they were....Not blown out by Jax, not blown out by Cleveland, not blown out by KC...

Be COMPETITIVE! Get barely beat, get beat because of a turnover, or fluke play!

Not.....Talk all this tough ****, and get your Ass handed to you year after year after year... That's what rubs people/ tells you he's in over his head

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    First, thank you for your reply

You would rather be the Pats. fair enough...
    6-5 in 11 Super Bowls.
    20 winning 2 losing seasons
    1st in wins in the last 20 years. I know a lot of Pats fans... none were fans before Brady. But you can't argue they have been the gold standatd for 20 years.

PATS 10-7 lost by 30 in first round=good.
    STEELERS 9-7-1 lost by 21 in first round=bag

You would rather be the Rams..
    1-3 in Super Bowls
    10 winning season 12 losing
    20th in wins
    2 cities.. can you imagine the St.Louis Steelers?

You would tather be the Bills.
    0-4 SB
    9 winning 13 losing
    23rd in wins
    0-4 in Super Bowls going back 32 years to their 4 straight losses starting in 1990.

You wpuld rather be the Chiefs.
    2-1 in SB
    14 winning 8 losing
    10th in wins

You would rather be the Bengals... are you sure? Let me guess you wanted to be like the Browns last year.
    0-2 in SB
    11winning 11 losing since 2000
    24th in wins
    0-2 in Super Bowls if you go back 40 years and as we all heard . first playoff win in 31 years.

You would rather be the 49ers.
    5-2 in SB.
    9 win 13 losing
    21st in wins

You would rather be the Cowboys.
    5-3 in the Super Bowl...
    15 win 7 losing
    11th in wins

You would rather be the Bucs.
    2-0 in Super Bowls...
    10 wins 12 losses
    22nd in wins

You would rather be the Packers...
    4-1 in the SB...
    18 winning 4 losing.
    3rd in wins

You would rather be the Cardinals
    0-1 in the SB
    10 winning 12 losing
    25th in wins

You would rather be the Raiders.
    3-2 in SB
    8 win 14 loss
    28th in wins

No matter what scale you choose to rate success the Steelers are at the top of it
    Most wins since 1970
    2 most wins since 2000
    Tied 2nd most SB appearances
    Tied 1st most SB wins
    Tied 4th playoff seasons since 2000
    3rd most playoff wins since 2000
    Tied 2nd SB gamea since 2000

You want to be one of those teams you mentioned now.. but what about the last 20,30,50 year?

You really think the Packers and Bucs have a brighter future? Both might be losing their best player in Rodger and Brady

Every team you listed was in the playoffs.. but the Steelers were in them too

The Bills,Chiefs, and maybe the Bengals appear to be set up for the long haul.

Cowboys, Cardinals, Raiders,49ers. All competent but I trust none of them to sustain year in and out

the Packers and Bucs are closer to the reload

The Rams seem to be the team to watch... they sold out to win it all.. they said screw the draft. We will see over the next few years of that's a good idea or a bad one

Those who want to can go ride with the front runners... ill take my chances with the Steelers.

HACK

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    They should have rushed 1.

They rushed 3 and had 1 in spy on both passes to set up the FG.

15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Stop living in the 1970s. Yes the Steelers had some very good teams in the mid to late 2000 years as well. Since then how has the last decade looked playoff wise? How do you think the next decade looks without a franchise QB?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    "Back in my day front runners cheered for the Steelers."

17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    ClevelandMack in 1974: "The Steelers suck. They always have sucked and always will suck. The Browns have 8 Championships! I can count on one hand the number of winning seasons the Steelers have! Take it from me stick to being a Browns fan. The Steelers are going to suck forever. Always have always will. Browns will always be the best- now that's a franchise."

:roflmao:

18. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019

I'm a fan now. I watch games in 2022, not 1975. Who cares how those franchises did 50 years ago? I want to see the Steelers win playoff games in the present time, not watch old VHS games from decades ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was thinking the same.
    Seems similar to when Marino, Elway, Kelly, O’Brien, Esiason and Kosar were about while we had Malone and Brister.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Questionable on both counts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean, we are a Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen away from being those teams tbh. 3 of the 4 remaining teams have top QB's. Our defense is Tuitt back and a LB away from being darn good, and we are an OL away from having a solid offense even with middling QB play. If we can find the signal caller of the future, it really shouldn't be all that hard to build around all of the good players we have currently on our team

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    We also need an offensive coaching staff that is up to the task to run an NFL offense. "It really shouldn't be all that hard." I'm sure those words have been uttered by many an NFL team. And I would not count Tuitt back by any means. I have my doubts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Yeah, but you have to draft in the top 10 picks, or preferably top 5 picks to get a Mahomes or Allen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It is threads like these that always make me appreciate why the Rooney's never cave in to fandom and their.... unique ideas or perspectives. For reference, the Cardinals fanbase have considerably have held the likes of Michael Bidwill's feet to the fire; Kliff Kingsbury being the current and best prime example. A college coach who has a penchant for meltdowns in the second half of seasons is not an ideal place to start looking for a new leader; questionable to even call him one at that.

25. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

You guys are funny... its all about the Steeler way and 6 rings when it fits your narrative

How far back is to far? We just sticking to 2017 when Mahomes was born? Or is 5 years to far back?

Let's just focus on this year then... Bengals and Chiefs are great...Mahomes best of all time... only QB in the playoffs with a ring... wait that was 2 years ago.. my bad

I went back 20 years.. to much history for you whipper snappers?

Brady Ben Rodgers all still in playoffs Even with their walkers

HACK

• Winner Winner x 1