1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Watching the playoffs = Steelers are NOWHERE close to relevancy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Watching the playoffs and the stellar QB and offensive play generally has made me realize how far the Steelers are away from relevancy, even if Ben came back again.

Did anyone see the play of Josh Allen and Mahomes last night? It would literally take the Steelers 4 games to equal the offensive output of either of those teams last night.

How the heck we beat the Bills early in the season boggles my mind.

To use a baseball analogy the Steelers are playing AA ball while teams like the Chiefs and Bills are in the majors.

The difference between the levels is so vast that even inserting Aaron Rodgers next year would not make a big difference.

We are in for a decade of irrelevancy I fear. The Bengals and Burrow will be king of the north for a long long time. Yes, go ahead and accuse me of being a Bengals fan now (after I abandoned my Ravens fandom) but anyone with eyes and a brain can see how the Bengals are loaded with young playmakers and are not going anywhere.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    I read that article and largely agree with it. The standard is just "non-losing" (seasons) now instead of winning (playoff games).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There's been a lot of back and forth on this, lots of people taking Tomlin to the woodshed over not winning in the playoffs. I get it, we want more. The standard is winning championships. There are steps along the path to championships. No team will measure up to the standard every year. There are also lots of variables, such as injuries and rule changes. If 45 was played with the same rules as 43, IMHO Aaron Rodgers doesn't carve up the Steelers' defense the way he did. The NFL passed rules to favor the offense. It is these rules that the Steelers as an organization have been slow to adapt to. The offensive show we saw last night favored neither a running game nor quality defense. Seems the NFL got what it wants, which is arena football. But I digress.

To reach the standard, the Steelers must get better, in every facet of the game. This starts with the front office, the coaches, the schemes, the players, the trainers, and the Gatorade.

But then, I also watched the Packers-49ers game. They ripped Jimmy G the whole game. But when it mattered, he was able to get first downs and create a FG attempt. ARod could not. So, defense does matter. How you use that defense also matters. The Bills' defensive call on 1st down with 13 seconds to stay back 15 yards should be enough to get the coach fired.

The biggest change the Steelers can make in the next few weeks is to replace the retiring Keith Butler with someone from outside the organization. If they hire from within, be prepared for more post win-complaint threads. The next biggest change is rebuilding both the offensive and defensive lines and then getting a QB to compete with Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and Patrick Mahomes.

And, I'm serious about changing the Gatorade. It's that level of commitment that will make it happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You can't get to the playoffs without a winning season

It has always been the Rodney's philosophy... get in the dance and then anything can hapoen

The Steelers have been the most successful team in football for 50 years... and the 2nd most the lasr 20

I have asked in other threads but no one ever answers. Who would you rather be? What team or coach is the one that you are going.. THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT?

HACK

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Actually that is not true. There are several instances of teams with non-winning seasons making the playoffs (.500 or even under .500). Your question seems to suggest that the Steelers should be satisfied with where they are, right now. I'd rather be the Patriots, the Rams, the Bills, the Chiefs, the Bengals, the 49ers, the Cowboys, the Bucs, the Packers, the Cardinals or the Raiders because those teams have brighter futures than the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    In order to be relevant once again we have to totally stink it up for one full season and get a top 3 (preferably #1 overall) draft pick. Under no circumstances can we be a top contender by continually picking between 17-24 every year.

I wouldn't have said this 5 years ago but that's the way the draft is going. There are certain players coming out of college that are incredibly gifted and they typically are off the board in the first 5 picks. Then there's a huge drop off and you hope to find diamonds in the rough. Bengals are finally good because they sucked for so long. I'm actually surprised it took them this long.

8. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Agree with most of this except how casually you seem to approach Ben's window. Steelers had a chance to compete for Super Bowls with a franchise QB and that chance is gone until the next franchise QB.

The Steelers are allowing 45.0 points per game in the playoffs since 2017. The worst by any team that has a playoff win in that span is 30.3.

The Steelers defense is 15 points per game worse than any other team since 2017. I don't think getting Rodgers or Wilson would make a difference to this team anyways, but teams need a franchise QB to be competitive for Super Bowls.

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think we are in violent agreement here. Lots of elite franchise QBs turn the ball over. Nonetheless in those games you talked about, Ben put points up. Really the only game I questioned his abilities was this last one. Like Favre, he was going to be aggressive and throw picks.

BTW, 18 years with Ben the Steelers went to three Super bowls and won two. 30 years with Favre and Rodgers, the Packers went to three Super Bowls and won two. It’s not just a franchise QB, but the whole team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    well, it all starts and stops (largely) with super talented franchise QB's.

our D has 2 ALL PROS - 2 out of the best 11 in the NFL + Minkah. not that shabby. I would go all in - go big or go home on Russell. Heyward will rot to end his career, TJ is in his prime, so is Minkah. All in for a QB, find an ILB, draft more corners and best Olineman on the board with our first pick, even if we have to trade away to get Russell!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Are those examples the anomaly or the norm?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This game ended the way it did because of piss poor defense, piss poor defensive coaching, and the age-old BS defensive philosophy of "prevent" defense. Last night was the quintessential example of how to prevent yourself from winning by giving up big plays in order to prevent an even bigger play. You play standard defensive football and kept the other team in check but then something goes wrong in a coach's head and feels its ok to let the other team get some big plays which ended up as a loss. Rushing 3 players against Mahomes is suicide and it took 13 seconds worth of game time to prove it. Stupid decision-making IMO>

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The Bills defense lost that game in the last 13 seconds of regular time. They did drop back 15 yards which was bad along with not doubling on 87 and 10. They were the 2 guys Mahomes was going to look at with 13 seconds left and sure enough who does he go to with 13 seconds left. The Bills offense played great but how many times do the Chiefs throw to their go to guys in critical situations over and over again before someone figures it out.

It's not rocket science, they both should of never been so wide open, double them tight, stop and bump them at the line, kick them, anything but let them so wide open with 13 seconds left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I kind of laugh because earlier in the season they said the NFL was bunch of average teams. Well you can see the best are far above average.

Steelers are long ways a way, but so are a bunch of other NFL teams.

Sadly for us, there is so many good young AFC QBs and we don't have one, and you can't compete at that great playoff level without good QB play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct.

the cream has risen to the top, if you will. BUff and KC got their acts together when it counted, in December....

16. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Elite QB play OR elite run game is necessary to win playoff games. We didn't have that this year, we won't have it next year either. The question is how many years before we get elite QB play or elite run game again. We had a HOFer at the end of his career at QB. We have a elite first round RB but a horrible OL, hence the Steelers finishing 30th in rushing this season.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    my bet is we tank this year - 3-4 wins and then continue to rebuild thru the draft, but QB 2023. We will be bottom feeders for a few years. Sad that Heyward has to rot and end his career w/o a SB appearance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Get in the dance and anything can happen. So true. How many people I talked too or read about on line saying NFCCG will be TB/GB. How'd that work out?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Hate agreeing with the broadcasters, but one of them pointed out there was no reason for Buffalo to be rushing 4 men. No matter what it was going to be a quick pass and they weren’t going to get to him. Drop the extra man into protection and make him waste an extra second or two looking for an open receiver. That’s all it would have taken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Thats probably the scariest thing. AFC has Allen Mahomes Burrow Herbert possibly Mac Jones…..

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We beat the bills because it was game 1. Titans also spanked the chiefs earlier too

22. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    why highlight only the KC/Bills game? I didn't see any stellar QB in the 49ers/Packers game..... both QB's that have media speculation about free agency..... I didn't see much impressive QB play in Tennessee/Cincy either.

I know Mahomes is quite a talent.... but as good as he is, he can still put up crappy numbers.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah I do believe Jimmy G (average Qb) is in the NFC Championship while Brady, J. Allen, Murray, Dak,and A. Rodgers are watching on a couch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Did you not see Josh Allen last night? played like a top 3 QB in the league. Herbert, Stafford, and Burrows is in the top 8,

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I see Him at Home with Brady,Ben, Herbert, Dak, Murray, and Rodgers.

I have Heard for Year How awesome Rodgers is...Yet sadly 1 SB.
    No guarantees for any Qb no matter who they are.

Also the longer in the league these Young guys are the more they cost their team in cap, and the harder 2 get to the SB.

• Disagree Disagree x 1