1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins vs. Rudolph. There are no winners here

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Watching Allen vs Mahomes makes me think the Steelers won’t be relevant for the rest of this decade.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, no one is giving up a first rd pick for Haskins so its just to make sure he stays put.

I’m sure Rudolph/Haskins can keep up with what we just saw in the Bills/Chiefs game. No problem!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    9277DE6E-0F45-4DBF-87DF-F489FB12D104.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If they do that are they forced to keep him for the year

6. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I hear you on that. And with the emergence on Cincy and the patriots lingering in the shadows it will probably be some dark days ahead for steeler nation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I think Haskins remains on the practice squad and Mason will have to compete with a draft pick.They have said they are drafting a QB I don’t know why everyone doesn’t believe them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Where did you see that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Yeah, they didn't say that at all.

Didn't Tomlin explicitly say draft or trade?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Source? I expect them to take a QB in the 2nd (please, God, not the 1st). Just haven't seen anything printed about it

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The only thing I have scene is in reference to Rudolph and Haskins getting a chance to compete for the starting job.

Steelers never tip their hand in the draft so I don’t think they ever said they are drafting a QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We are going to need a 3-14 kinda season to get that kind of talent.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

... and even then this does not guarantee one. All it does is increases the chances of acquiring one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    They said on SNR they had scouts looking at a number of QBs and were definitely going to draft one of them. Mel Kiper has them drafting Matt Corral in the first round. I’ve heard more that they are and heard no one say they won’t except people on here.

16. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    Draft or sign a free agent it doesn’t matter, they are seeking help in the QB department.

17. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    They had scouts at a Ole Miss game a Cincinnati game and a Liberty game all to scout their QBs but no everyone on here is dead set on Mason and terrified of drafting a QB Lol it’s pretty ridiculous.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I agree with you that a QB will be drafted. Rudolph and Haskins are big pocket QBs not gimmicky college QBs. It doesn't fit Canada's scheme. (And if you have 3 big pocket passers as QBs why would you bring in Canada? But here we are.)

Ridder sets off the alarm as the type of player Tomlin would draft for sure even before Canada was on staff. Mobile, intelligent, hard worker, and maybe the most importantly has a backstory- he's a girl dad. Ridder is super fast I bet he runs a 4.5 40. Definitely not slower than 4.6. Steelers might take him in the first depending on the combine because I could see him going in the second.

I really don't want a QB in a headband. Malik Willis isn't going to work in the pros. I'm not excited about drafting a QB but it's coming. Too much on the line not to. Tomlin and Canada both want his offense to work. Tomlin's going to look really bad when it doesn't.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I was talking about the Steelers. I would have been surprised if anyone from the organization said that.

Of course they have scouts looking at QB’s, they did last year as well. Due diligence. Draft still has to unfold in a way that a QB is there that they like. Saying they would draft a QB would likely indicate they would move up to get one.

Maybe a couple of people here want to go with Rudolph, the majority do not but they do feel that will be what happens. There are also people who feel you need to build the line and get the surrounding pieces before looking for a QB. I don’t agree.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There’s no need to put a 1st round tender on Haskins, or even a 3rd round tender. If we place no tender on him it’s probably < 50/50 that anybody signs him, let alone there being someone out there who would give up any draft pick for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    ok Ian Rappaport said the Steelers would draft a QB and have no interest in signing a free agent. I’m sure the Steelers are telling him that and he’s not just making stuff up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    He was coached in High School by former Steeler Will Wolford down the street from my house. Wolford is a St Xavier Alum and when their coach retired he coached them for about 4 years. So they have inside information on him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    At least we don't have to play them twice a year. We have Burrow for that.

24. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Throwing Rudolph or even Haskins name in the same sentence as guys like Mahomes, Allen and Burrow doesn’t even sound right. If anybody thought the Steelers were close watching that game with the Chiefs and Bills last night shows they aren’t even on the same planet with those two teams.

• Agree Agree x 4
  25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Ehh. Tomlin wants a vet. He wants to win now. He imagines the Steelers a Super Bowl contender.

That said I don't think many would be eager to play behind this OL in Canada's offense. And I think ARII will want to draft a QB in the near future. It is what has worked for other teams aa well as the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1