1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

He is NOT coming to the Steelers!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Jan 23, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now this I agree with. If they don't win a SB in this , the next year , or so it was a costly mistake.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did you miss the part where it says using 3-4 personnel with 4-3 concepts? The Steelers have been using sub package football for the last few years with the base 3-4 being used less and less. They used 2DL more this season than in times in the past due to injuries. Also could be why the run defense suffered as smaller quicker lb's were swallowed up on blocks combined with inside linebackers and tweeners jumping the wrong gap.

3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Actually it is the reality of it

If you think I need a shiny new sports car... but I think I just need new tires..... guess which choice I'm going to do.

The Steelers are tire shopping

They just made the playoffs with a historically inept offense and their worst defense in like 50 years

They feel they are closer than you do

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  4. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I was against that trade. Goff has had a bad few years now though. The Rams scored more points in both of McVay's first two seasons than they did last year with Stafford so you're probably right that it's a lateral move (and a costly one).

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He hates running, but drafted a RB in the first round :facepalm:.

6. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    They can feel however they want but nobody else feels they are close. Tomlin has kept up the charade of "competing for Super Bowls" his entire regime. That has not been the case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    To many of you think the next QB is going to be GOOD... you think a rebuild is just 3 or 4 years away.... that only works if they nail that next qb first shot. If they draft the next Mahomes.. sure... but they are more likely to get the next Sam Darnold... Jares Goff..Dan Jones..or Dwayne Haskins.. then you took 3 years just to find out you were wrong

HACK

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    That's the point.. the people who write the checks and are in charge feel differently... so that is the reality of how they will proceed

If you want pizza.. but I'm the one buying groceries... we are eating what I make.... no matter how good or bad it tastes

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    OK I get you. You're right.

10. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    And if they take Coral or Howell this year they won't want to draft another QB next year. By then it's already 3 years and Tomlin and Canada are likely gone IMO.

11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Steeler media can call what needs done whatever the hell they want. You'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind to believe that this team just needs a "reload" to become a legitimate Super Bowl contender, let alone to have enough pieces to compete with the Bengals for a division championship. I mean, let's get real.

They have too many question marks on both sides of the ball to be addressed in one, two or maybe even three off seasons. And I'm not even including QB in the equation. So, call it a "reload" of you want. This teams needs a rebuild, period. This team needs a serious infusion of talent and youth at most positions on defense and offense.

12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
  13. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I actually agree... I've never been a for Tomlin guy... but it sure feels he is hitching his wagon to a sickly horse named Canada

HACK

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I could say the same for the people who believe we need to rebuild but I’ll try not to insults half the board because they have a different evaluation of what the team needs.

They just won 9 games and a defense that kept opponents under 20 points 9 times, maybe it’s not as bad as some of you make it out to be.

The team contending will be determined by how long it takes to find the next QB.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I was listening to Bob Pompeani on The Fan here is Pittsburgh yesterday and he is really sold on bringing in Mitch Trubisky. He said that sources close to the Bills organization seem to think that a year behind Josh Allen has done wonders for him. Who knows, he could be right. Chicago has been QB hell for decades. I wouldn't be dead set against Derek Carr, but I think he might be more than what the Steelers want to spend right now with all the other needs they currently have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ding ding ding

Unlikely next season. Could be a long time.

18. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

Holy crap.

I think I just won the internet!

HACK

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Again you are so sure about your POV that you are arguing things that aren't in the discussion. No one said convert Watt to a DE in a 4-3 scheme. That's what you are railing against. Watt does have the ability to play from a 2 pt stance to upright edge rusher in using a 4 man front with a single middle linebacker and the 2 outside backers in a more traditional 4-3 run support role. The same thing was discussed about Taco Charlton because of his size, not really the perfect fit for a 3-4 outside linebacker but not big enough for a 4-3 DE. They can take the concepts with the personnel they have and make it work. It definitely would allow for stopping the run if Bush stops guessing and watches the ball carrier, it puts more bodies in middle zone while still having a four man front. It's not ideal but it is something that could work.

Tell you what make your list of needs for a rebuild then add the salaries of Heyward, Tuitt, Watt, and Fitz probably looking in the teens per million a season and then tell me how you build a contender in 2 years with those limitations.

20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Good point about DE salaries vs their age and availability.

Also TJ will play 5 technique from the 3-4 or 4-3. You're right that it doesn't matter.

Steelers play nickel as base anyways

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I get it, glass half full. Surely injuries played a role, they always do. I also understand a more competent offense could have helped their defense even more. But, when I see teams like the Lions and Vikings running for 150, 200 yards in a half? Sorry, but that's a lack of talent. Our first round RB continually getting hit as he takes a hand-off? Ditto. To me, you reload to get into the discussion of a division champion. You rebuild to become a championship contender.

22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    no. You’re eating what you make. I’ll be either ordering delivery or going out.

23. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

Only if in this analogy you are changing the team you root for

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  24. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Too many question marks to address in 3 seasons? This is the new era of the NFL with free agency you're always 1 season away from being a contender. Steelers either need to draft a QB or get a decent one through free agency. There are a TON of offensive linemen in this year's free agency pool. There are also several linebackers and DBs to choose from. Steelers have a lot of cap space and I know they don't have a history of signing big name free agents, but unless the owner really wants to go into a rebuild instead of a reload, they're going to have to take the plunge.

25. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I've been reading what's been coming out about Matt Nagy's time in Chicago in the last few weeks. The guy was an absolute disaster. He would have ruined any QB given to him.

Supposedly, Trubisky wanted to sit down with Nagy and go over what was needed to improve after the 2019 season. Nagy was a no-show.

I'd kick the tires on Trubisky.

• Agree Agree x 1