1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What should the Steelers no. 1 priority be in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Finding a franchise QB to replace Ben through the draft

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Finding their next starting quarterback in feee agency

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Beefing up the offensive line

49 vote(s)
    62.0%
  4. Shoring up the run defense by drafting/signing DLs and LBs

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Other (please explain)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This should be a very interesting off-season for the Steelers and be one in which many changes may be forthcoming. What do you think should be the highest priority this off-season?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Both lines, and straight up the middle in the D.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I picked other. There has to be a culture change. The attitude of never having a losing season has to turn to never losing again. Better coaching and better players needs to be a priority.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I picked “A” but could be via a trade too. The point being, they need to begin that immediately as it is the hardest piece to find.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I should have said through free agency or a trade. Point being acquiring a QB who was on another NFL team this past season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i picked other because i don't think it is one position that they have to focus on except for QB as a priority. when i say priority i mean there are several ways we could go. i just want them to get it right no matter which way they go first. witherspoon and adams would top my list immediately as guys we need to re-sign. killebrew would be another. even if he doesn't start at strong safety we have a guy in place capable of doing that. he has a year in the system. sign hassenauer back. those are our free agents to start with.

we have now signed chaz green back too. heag is signed. pridgeon is signed. leglue is signed. gilliam is signed. we now scour the free agent market for a starting tackle that could play both sides.

we turn towards linebacker, safety, corner, and keep an eye on DLinemen in free agency. i don't want to have to have a certain position to have to hit on a draft pick. keep our options open. all the while watching for a QB in either the draft or free agency.

new inside linebacker coach. new outside linebacker coach. hire morgan as the head offensive line coach. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bama Steel

Bama Steel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Offensive line and team leadership needs some work. That's a hard ticket, I know.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I voted offensive line, I think the Run D should improve to at least average if the get Tuitt and Alualu back, maybe add a NT in the middle of the draft if somebody they like is there.

If a QB they like is there whe they pick in the first round I think you take them but otherwise OLine or CB. It all depends on how the board falls to them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Other. Ravens just let "Wink" Martindale go. Bring him in for an interview to be DC. The defense needs a fresh mind, and I'm not sure Austin is it.

10. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Other - Bringing in an outside GM who hires a new HC and together they begin the rebuild.

Bringing in an outside GM is the only thing that makes sense right now. Having Tomlin here another 2 years only to not be extended after 7 years without a playoff win is nonsense.

During that time the OL will not have been repaired, and the DL will be at retirement. The attempt at a franchise QB will be a mobile QB selected to run a gimmicky college offense. Horror show.

What good is an elite QB even? Tomlin had an elite QB for 5 years and a franchise QB the last 11 and came up with 3 playoff wins (2 of them over coaches who have still never won a playoff game and were fielding backup QBs).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    the defensive line will be fine with the return of alualu and tuitt. Loudermilk looks like he was a great pick and should show a big jump next year. Resigning Montravious should be a priority. Really the only need there is an upgrade to Mondeaux. ILB will probably be a big priority this year. Not a replacement for Bush, but a thumper. Someone that will drop the hammer on people. Would love to see a Kirkland-esque type paired with Bush.
    Their biggest needs on offense are rg and rt. Turner used to be a stud rg, but that’s no longer the case. He’s a mediocre backup at this point. Okarafor will probably be resigned, but hopefully just as a backup swing tackle. I had high hopes for banner, but can’t see them keeping him around for 5m. Maybe if he was capable of playing that swing tackle role. I still think Green will be given a shot at starting center. He will have to work his ass off on technique, but his issues are fixable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Get Aaron Rodgers.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Martindale's an idiot. He trashed talked Joe Burrow five days before the game against the Bengals so Joe went out and threw for 440 yards and 4 TD's against his terrible secondary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We are getting to see why they moved up for Loudermilk. I think he will be an integral part of the defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Offensive Line for me as well. For that matter, should this draft not have a QB that either the team cannot draft due to draft slotting or simply the classic case of not wanting one.... double dip on said position. Offensive Lineman in Rounds 1 and 2. Hopefully Linderbaum is available by pick 20 but I just do not see it happening thus far. Kenyon Green though, should be and would be a welcome addition even if Trai Turner is brought back as Kevin Dotson has not shown he can be counted upon. Round two should go towards an Offensive Tackle. Daniel Faalele would be my premier choice though someone like Abraham Lucas could work as well.

Now, to the point @mac daddyo made, defense is for certain an issue to come up though knowing Tomlin and the team, I seriously doubt they are giving up on Devin Bush Jr. For that matter, they had not given up on Terrell Edmunds and look how he turned out.... though Edmunds had no major injury to derail him. That said, Devin Lloyd and Nakobe Dean; more or less what this draft offers in terms of fit for the Steelers. There is also the possibility of Buddy Johnson improving in year two though I personally am less comfortable in such a leap of faith.

@Blast Furnace.... both Leighton Vander Esch and Rashaan Evans are likely headed to FA this offseason. Have a look at them perhaps?? :hmm:

• Like Like x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I want the QB even though no guarantee. Beef up the O-line, hell I'm watching Burrow getting hammered and they are in the Divisional round.

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If ARod blows it again tomorrow will you still feel that way?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What is a franchise quarterback? Top 10? Top 15? Do you really think the Roethlisberger of 2020 and 2021 qualifies?

Even if you do, your post ignores that Roethlisberger missed almost all of the 2019 season. You really should try not to be so sloppy and inaccurate in your arguments.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Plus Loudermilk shows upside, and hopefully we can retain Adams who isn’t bad.

• Like Like x 3
  20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Yes. Peyton Manning blew several playoff games in his career. Plus, the Steelers need a MVP QB to win a Super Bowl next year.

Don't ever disagree with my post again.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with this. Though the return of Alualu sounds great , but 6 games missed last year, and 14 missed this year, now add another year of age.:shrug:
    Tuitt while He played He was My favorite D lineman, but We don't even know if He comes back. So IMO. 2 huge question marks.

22. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Aaron Rodgers is the key. Don't disagree with this post, or I will get mad.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  23. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I voted for other. We need to get that gritty, mean, intimidating Steeler attitude back in this team on both sides of the ball.

24. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks for reading so carefully! :roflmao:

25. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Those days are gone and will never come back. NFL doesn't allow any of it anymore.