1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Watt: Ben hasn’t told us he is retiring

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 21, 2022.

1. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    In an interview a few days ago, Ben made it clear that a new chapter in his life begins with his fatherhood. That from now on his focus is on being the best father and husband he can be. And that he's excited about what his new life without football will bring him. It doesn't get any more specific than that.

Maybe he really hasn't retired yet because he's still waiting for another team to be crazy enough to throw him 20M for a few throws to the line of scrimmage. But i dont think so. It would be crazy and stupid at all not to retire as a steeler. At some point in life, especially when u made so much money like him, it´s not all about the money anymore. I'm in my mid forties and when my little 4 year old girl throws herself at me I can barely get my crunching bone off the floor. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to get up and take the hits when you're mostly tackled / sacked player in the NFL. It can only work with taking painkillers. Is this pain and drugs worth another year when you've made so much money?

So for me that Ben didn´t say he retires right now is due cap reasons. So your organization can save some money. But even when this guy steps off the stage, who brought all of you 2 rings, so many great memories and division wins, many of u still can´t give him some respect and acting like this guy ripped off your girlfriend.

Yeah, i know. Ben is selfish. Ben is no good leader. Ben fires and hires the Coordinators. Ben runs this offense. Ben owned the steelers. Ben gave AB no respect. Ben wants to be in the spotlight. So, maybe we better ask Pouncey, DeCastro, Keisel and so on what kind of person he is. The only guys who wants to be in the spotlight are the whole Twitter, Instagram and tik tok childs or all those so-called experts on TV or radio. This are the players who aren't interested in winning the championship and are more interested in their stats and fantasy football rankings.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There are definitely cap implications for why he hasn’t officially retired but that doesn’t stop him from telling his teammates and those closest to him that he is retiring. Watt even said it’s kind of open ended. That means Ben is leaving the door open to come back.

As far as what Ben has been saying about enjoying life after football, just look at how many times Farve came back, playing for two more teams. Some players can’t let go.

I can think of one scenario that could compel Ben to come back. Let’s say Ben knows that it was scheme and not his capabilities that was the reason for the short passing game (hypothetically) and he listened all year to everyone saying he was garbage, doesn’t have it anymore, can’t throw vertical anymore, Canada was limited in what he could do because of Ben but Ben did what was asked of him and played good soldier. Do you think Ben would want to retire like that or come back and prove to the world it was the coaching and not him? I could think of one team that might be interested, Atlanta. Ben has a house in Georgia, I bet he would play for them if they asked him. If their search to replace Ryan doesn’t go how they want, Ben could be plan B.

3. SteelersGermany

Dec 27, 2021
    Good point, and an unknown fact for me with his house in Atlanta. But this is not a Brady / Bellichek story. Its not a big thing in the media and there is no big blame about our outcome this year, beside the discussions in steelers fan forums. So, i don´t think that this will really happen.

Maybe TJ is no close teammate for him? Maybe their is currently no one, maybe JuJu or Heyward, on the team, especially on offense with whom he wants to share his thoughts. And i can´t believe, that Ben has such a distorted perception of himself that he thinks he could do better in ATL than he could in Pittsburgh with or without Canada. And as i said. Why in the hell, after shredding his body for 18 years for just one team, especially one as glorious as the Steelers, he wants to retire as a Falcon. But let's see what happens.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That was more of an exclamation point. If there was any doubt, then there is no doubt.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yep, no way any team throws money at him. And if they did it would be as a back-up which IMO would be an embarrassment to all involved.

I see you have a child under 5 and you are around 45. Best of luck to you!! I don't think I could have handled having young children when I was mid 40's. Mine were married by time I was 45.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know what He does, but most saying nobody will give Him a shot if He wants it
    1. Haven't watch the whole NFL lately
    2. Are praying that He doesn't go 2 another team ,and show How dumb our OC is.
    I'm not saying He could Win a SB with another team, but by some of these Qbs people are throwing out there for Us 2 get....They aren't either.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I suspect Ben and the Steelers won’t officially retire him until it’s most advantageous cap wise, but that’s paperwork. But you’re right, why hasn’t he said the “R-word” in public or in private?

Maybe he’s waiting to see if the fire Canada and is leaving the door open for AR II or Tomlin to beg him to come back? This is extremely unlikely to happen, but athletes do have an over inflated sense of their own value.

as far as going elsewhere. I can’t see Ben going anywhere to be a backup. I can’t see any team that has a young QB, even an iffy one, signing Ben as mentor. I can’t see a lousy team without a young QB wasting their time with a 40-yr old QB.

So where can he land? Maybe a few places that think they are a QB away might take a desperation shot: Indy, Den, SF (without Jimmy G) or GB (without Rodgers). This seems real unlikely too. Ben has been an avg at best QB the last 2 yrs. One with Uber-buffoon Canada and one without. And he won’t improve.

8. SteelersGermany

Dec 27, 2021
    Thanks mate, i can need it. U are lucky man:smiley1:
    In retrospect, it probably would have made more sense to have children much earlier, but it's good the way it is. wasn't capable of being a father in my twenties.

• Like Like x 5
  9. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Artist's impression of Ben playing football in 2024.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was TJ Watt that just missed Him laying in the grass, as Ben runs for a TD for The Broncos. LoL :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I would love it because that would be an indictment of Tomlin, not Canada. People forget we have been watching this offense since the Dallas game last season. I don’t care if some motions and play action has been peppered in this year, its the same 4 yard passing bs.

If Ben goes someplace else and resembles Ben prior to 2020, it’s Tomlins offense we have been watching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    It was a completion to the tight end.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That's possible i guess but in the grand scheme of things would it even matter? It's not like Rooney is ever gonna blame Tomlin even when it's obvious.

14. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    And if the offense is 25th or worse next year?

Ben is done. We are going to need a different test to determine if it was Canada or Ben.

Can we find some common ground? I feel like there is pre-op Ben and post-op Ben. Nobody here is team post-op Ben. We are all team pre-op. Can we just agree that Steelers fans are team pre-op?

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Ben probably retires but I was answering STD hypothetical. If what I said happens, we won’t need any test.

Likewise if there is a new OC and we still see the same short passing offense, pretty safe bet it’s Tomlin pushing that.

Right now though, I think they were running that offense because thats what Ben could do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He’s done. He improved week by week for a while mid-season, and then leveled off. He peaked out making OK throws, but actual good throws were rare. He’s not good enough for a contender to grab him as a guy who can put them over the top, and he’s certainly not going to be attractive as a starter for a team that’s building. He’s not going to take a backup job, so that really eliminates the only job he’s qualified for at this point. He’s a Steelers legend, and we’re all happy to have watched his career (with a few notable exceptions), but thinking that he has a good season left in his tank is dreaming. If he didn’t have it this season, he’s sure as hell not going to have it next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Matt Canada is an ultra conservative coach. Most seasons in CFB his teams ran the ball twice as much as they threw it or pretty close.

It would have made sense for him to be OC if the Steelers ever ran the ball. I really don't see why an OC who uses the passing game as an afterthought would be the best choice for a team that only has a short passing game.

Next year we won't have a deep passing game because Rudolph is starting and so on.

I get what you're saying about Ben and you're absolutely right he lost the deep ball. In 2020 I noticed his accuracy was worse and that he could still make deep throws but not with the same velocity- I think the overthrows were compensation for that as well as being told to be cautious (don't let the DB make a play on it).

There is no evidence that Canada values a deep or intermediate passing game. YAC and running the ball seems the main focus. Tomlin hates running the ball. So I think we will just see a YAC offense of short routes and screens.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Possibly, but Atlanta stinks. The only possible way I see Ben going someplace is if the whole team is in place, where even with his limits he could have a realistic shot at doing what Manning did with Denver.

19. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    I hope the hell he does.

20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There is no cap benefit from the Falcons dumping Ryan and signing Ben because of the way Ryans contract is set up, and it is not like Ben is a massive upgrade either.

Falcons are stuck with Ryan for another year unless they cut him after June, but that just pushes the problem in to 2023. That last contract they gave him is really biting them on the ass now

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Retiring or not, it’s time for us to move on. If he is successful with another team, great. However, he’s not the missing piece that any team needs to hoist the Lombardi

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt it’s Ben but they will likely move on from Ryan.

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’ve no doubt they will as soon as they can but they have painted themselves in to a corner with his deal. Moving on this year saves $8m, hardly worth it as they may need him if they draft a rookie who may not be ready to start, and Ryan is still decent when he has protection.

They can extend him (no new money obviously) and save nearly $18m which is what I expect they will do. They are in dire cap straits and will have to do something

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin doesn't call the plays on offense, clueless :shrug:.

25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin oversees the offense. If he doesn't want the OC to call plays that lose yards those plays will not be called.

Damn. Tomlin fans really don't think he does a **** thing. :roflmao: