1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Keith Butler to retire?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    And the same people that hated Butler here will hate Tomlin and Colbert even more for letting him walk

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Todd Haley

3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Luckily for the Steelers, your interest is meaningless LOL

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's in his seventies, and has been out of the game for a few years.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s official. Butler won’t be back.

• Like Like x 3
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Butler should have been fired in the Steelers locker room after the JAX playoff annihilation in 2018.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes. But an outside DC should have been brought in to take away control from Tomlin or it's a moot point. We will run the exact same scheme next year without a doubt. Reid just coached circles around Tomlin dumping off passes over the heads of LB blitzing.

Tomlin's defense fails every year to defend the middle of the field because of his Tampa 2 bs he can not move past. And every year he thinks to himself it is the ILB fault and wastes another 1st on an ILB.

8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Butler is Tomlin's proxy. We all know the Steelers will "hire from within" and Tomlin will continue to run the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t know why I thought this Defense would be like the Tampa one that was dominant in the Super Bowl Tomlin was part of.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The defense isn’t as bad as its being made out to be. The bottom line is how many points they give up and they had nine games where they gave up 20 or less points, six games of 16 points or less. Thats excellent.

Fix the run defense and its a top unit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Fix the offense so it can possess the ball for an average amount of time and the defense is a top unit.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    Fix both and we'll be next Superbowl champ

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think you're both right. I think there's young guys on this DL that can develop into quality starters or depth guys, for years to come. I'm not counting on Aluhalu (I'm sure I butchered his name) nor Tuitt, tbh. First guy is 35 and may never play at a high level again. Second guy may never don a football uniform again. As great as Cam has been, I think we need to start planning for his inevitable retirement in a season or two, plus there's a potential of his game to begin to deteriorate. He's no spring chicken. Gotta upgrade via FA or the draft.

As for the offense, a rookie QB, Mason or Haskins really amplifies the importance of getting the run game going. We'll have to get more physical up front as well as find a change of pace back. If we're in the bottom half of the league in rushing, this team won't win many games.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It's been blatantly obvious for quite some time that the Steelers do not like to make drastic immediate changes. I know it's nice to show someone the door kindly and gently while asking them to retire politely and they usually oblige to the request but once in a while I'd like them to take the harsher approach and say you're just not good enough and it's time for you to find other work. It's kind of weird cause their best coach ever approached all his final rosters exactly that way. Not sure how many coaches the Emperor let go but he was not tolerant of a lazy staff or player personnel.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Outside of Cam, Watt, Minkah and Sutton to some degree, this Defense is very soft, especially over the middle. It stinks that Tuitt and Alualu went down cause they were tough as nails when playing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Soft in what way? Run defense you mean? Yes, they have to fix that but the overall object is to limit your opponents scoring and they were pretty good at that outside of a few games.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would you think the defense would be as good as it was the past two years? They lost Dupree, Hilton, and Nelson; I'm not surprised they took a step back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

As you mentioned, run defense was giving up huge chunks of yards several times per game. Over the middle passes were easily accomplished by opposing QB's and TE's being out matched by smaller slower LB's. Our secondary was much improved and our Dline was decent against the pass. 3rd and longs were given up several times a games and many times during the same drive. They did clamp down in the redzone but long sustaining drives and the lack of our offense to get anything going really gassed this defense. They weren't completely terrible but the offense did them no favors. Very fixable and a reason for optimism given the right coaching comes along.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed, but We took about 5 steps back. Not having Alualu, and Tuitt expounded it all.

20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Not pointing the finger at you.. but that argument has bothered me all year....

I saw the Steelers take the opening kickoff to the 2 yard line. Fail on 4th down.. then the defense gave up a 98 yard drive.... were they still tired from the week before?

How many times did they give up long drives to start the 2nd half? If haltime was not a long enough rest.. what could the offense have done to help?

They just were not very good.. not enough horses and to much we do what we do and not scheming against weakness

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do have 2 agree with this. Hell We seen the D give up Tds more than once on Drives they opened the game on D.
    Did they get off the bus tired.
    Also in 2019 we gave up way less points,and yards, and it's not like We were moving the ball up ,and down the field with Mason, and Duck.

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Don't forget ST coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I feel a lot of the issue with run defense was missing 2/3rds of the defensive line and subpar play from the ILB position. It may be that simple.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Yes this

Unless Art II grows a pair n tells Mike to hire someone from outside org who is highly qualified and GTFOOTW it's mute

If Austin is "promoted" it means Richard as Mikey T will still be running the def

IF Dan was still alive he would've done this years ago

Upside to all of this it will lead to Tomlin's eventual firing BUT wasting TJ Cam Minkah etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I feel bad for Cam's lack of success in the postseason. He's such a competitor. At the same time I bet he's still all in on Pittsburgh and loyal. Still sucks though. If any player deserves a ring it's that guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1