1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft strategy 2022

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ironman, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Given the money coming available this season, I believe we should fill vital needs with free agents and then get back to drafting 'best available athletes' again instead of reaching to fill needs with rookies.
    Thoughts?

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Get the best OT or DE available at 20th pick. Get the best ILB available in the 2nd round.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    We have so many holes that I think it depends on who we keep before FA starts and who we bring in via FA. Generic answer, I know... I could see OL, WR, DL, LB, CB or S in the first round. There's a plethora of holes up and down this roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

DE? Such as Interior? Hate to break it to you but unless the team is that hell bent on nabbing Jordan Davis, ain't gonna happen. Agree to an extent about the Offensive Tackle slot... though that is dependent on how comfortable the team feels about this incoming Offensive Tackle class. I do like Dan Moore Jr as the Left Tackle... just a matter of finding the literal "Right Tackle" for the job. Evan Neal would be the ideal choice though he is getting way overhyped for my liking. That said, Nicolas Petit-Frere would be the ideal next option since he is capable of being a plug n play Right Tackle option. Daniel Faalele is the perfect Right Tackle for the team but too rich for Round One and definitely so as a Top 20 pick.

If anything, Kenyon Green would be one of my choices. Yes, he is a Guard but there is no guarantee that Turner is guaranteed to stay as his contract is up. Even if Turner comes back, is there any reason to assume that Dotson can have a bounce back 2022 after an injury plagued 2021 season?

My ideal choice?? Tyler Linderbaum. A true instant, impact player and one of the safest prospects in the class. Should Pittsburgh have any interest in any Offensive Lineman, Tyler should be near or at the top of their priorities.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not a generic answer at all. In years past, Free Agency has often pointed out the path on which the Steelers were going to go with; 2018 included via Morgan Burnett. For that matter, 2021 was also a good indication of where the team would go in terms of draft capital with the signing of Trai Turner; a commitment to the running game being the focal point.

The biggest question though stems from what AR 2 will say in the coming weeks as that is the biggest indicator; Free Agency being the most important.

6. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    With Haden gone we desperately need a #1 CB. Even if Haden returns he is no longer the shutdown corner you can pencil in for 17 games like he used to be.

Hopefully they can find some Free Agent out there that they can overpay for, or find another team having a fire sale and pick one up for future picks.

7. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    What? I am not sure the signing of Trai Turner was anything but a quick desperate attempt to fill Decastro's spot.

Speaking of Decastro any heard anything about his whereabouts? Did he have the additional surgery that he need if he ever wanted to play football again?

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I am just not a fan of Linderbaum.. I think he is a great college center.... but after watching KG get abused for his size (6'2" 305 lbs) .Linderbaum is listed at 6'3" 290 lbs

1 inch taller 15 lbs lighter

I'll wait to see his combine weight but I'm not sure how much more he can add to his frame without losing the athleticism that is his strong point.

He might be great... but that 290 scares me

Just did a deep dive on center's weight. 290 would be the lightest in the NFL

1 guy listed at 295

Travis Kelce... who is ranked as a top 10 center... and honestly a FA I would love to have for a year or two if he wants to keep playing.

If Kelce can do it.. so can Linderbaum... but I'm to gun shy to pull that trigger. I think I would rather not draft him and be wrong and watch him be a 15 year star... then draft him and be right and have to look again in 2023/24

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    With the cap room they have and they can create w moves restructures

FA OL sign QUALITY FA C,G, T. Best player you can
    DL QUALITY FA
    FA CB that is solid as Steelers can't seem to draft these
    QB Rogers Wilson won't happen IMO. Carr would very welcome but most likely a vet to compete

Now quality doesn't mean most expensive just very good player that is a significant UPGRADE

Then you can visit your draft needs
    ILB OLB WR S

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Filling DeCastro's spot was necessary indeed. That said, it did serve two purposes. The first is veteran leadership along the Offensive Line.

The second? Fix the running game... something that is still in need of fixing.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Turner was abysmal for us this year. He’s sloth like and can’t pull. Guard will be addressed either through the draft or free agency

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wasn't a fan of Turner either. He is hot or cold, a little inconsistent.

BUT, I will say ... he was a good veteran leader for those young guys on the line though. I was impressed with his answers to the media and how he handled himself.

We could definitely bring a better guy, but glad we had him this year.

Probably could have used another proven vet from FA this year, but Kevin Colbert wanted to save the money.

13. TapOut64

TapOut64 Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    We think alike.

14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    FA is always a hot expectation for fans, only to find disappointment. A few signings over the years sure, but rare in terms of those first day guys. Some will mention the success of the Pat's this year..they spent a boatload last year, but also had a lot of guys who sat out 2020 that returned this year.

I just don't see a big splash FA signing unless there is someone that instantly upgrades..like Farrior.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm.. interesting comment here. I do understand the lack of size myself regarding Linderbaum. I also understand the fact that what we have seen from Kendrick could definitely be a cautionary tale. However good sir, allow me to ease some of these concerns for you.. if you will allow it. Only two but two key components here

1.) Experience Matters:

Kendrick Green was.... well... Green as a Center heading into the 2021 NFL Draft. Only having just four total starts at Center is, at best, middling to say the least. In addition, while his experience at the position of Center itself is in question... so are his overall fundamentals which are again, a lack of experience at the position as a whole. His hand placement can be suspect, his footwork lacking in terms of proper positioning, depth and balance and his inability to properly anchor leads to severe over extension. This... is where Mr. Linderbaum comes in. Yes, yes, Mr. Linderbaum has some quibbles of his own; his biggest for me is running himself out of his blocking assignment when climbing to the second level. This does not happen very often but it is something worth noting. However, beyond all of this and his current lack of mass (again, a very easy fix), say hello to arguably the most technically proficient prospect in the class regardless of position. Now, like Kendrick Green, Tyler was also initially a Defensive Lineman coming out of High School. The difference however, lies in how often he has played Center in comparison to Green; 33 Career Starts to his name. With such knowledge to call upon, Linderbaum's shortcomings on tape are truly few and far between.

2.) Fitting In:

Matt Canada's scheme requires his Offensive Lineman as a whole to not only be tough but also move and hit stuff. I am certain you may have heard this before. If you have not, it stems from one of Tomlin's famous quotes;

"I need my little men hittin' and my big men runnin'!"

Now, how does this apply to Linderbaum? Well.. he can move but boy oh boy can he move! Even among the likes of Ikem Ekwonu, Kenyon Green and Zion Johnson, none of those players can climb to the second level as quickly as Linderbaum can. It is not just about merely getting to the Linebackers either; Canada's Lineman have to be able to move quickly on screens and stretch runs as well. Here is something that Kendrick Green truly excels at; athleticism and movement. Whenever he is playing to his best abilities, one can easily see as to why Kendrick Green was selected by the team as highly as he was. For that matter, some of his best instances of this being against the Lions in the Pre Season. Now, starting Rookies should not have their best tape in the preseason; starting Offensive Lineman ones doubly so. That said, the potential was on display that game.... along with the shortcomings that came with it as well. Now, it is fair to say if Linderbaum could face similar issues. However, like Green and, as previously stated, he can move.... quite a bit. Add his experience and technique and one has quite the Offensive Lineman to use in a myriad of schematics.

Overall, Linderbaum simply is what Green is not. For that matter, Green's best performances have been at Guard at Illinois. Again, Tomlin did not put to sleep the notion that Green switch but he did not rule it out either.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

When did I ever state that the team needs to splash in FA? For that matter, Free Agency should always be used as an extension of what the teams needs are before heading to the draft; starting with the most obvious needs. Splash signings are almost never guaranteed just like Draft picks.

All I stated was that looking at who specifically the Steelers sign is a good indicator of their draft plans moving forward. These draft plans also include Pro Day visits as well.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps so. That said, Turner is sadly one of the best options that would even include the incoming Free Agent market; more of this can be found here. Realistically speaking, the team can keep Turner around and bring James Daniels in but I would imagine Daniels would want to start rather than sit. Outside of Daniels... there are not too many other options.

Should Tyler Linderbaum be off the board by pick 20 (a very good chance that he is mind you) Kenyon Green is the next best hand in glove option available.

18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Sorry for not specifying or not being more clear. Not a criticism on your post at all..just my thought on how Steelers have generally done business.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hi:

All good!! No hard feelings on this side either!! Just wanted to clear any confusion from my end!! :)

20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Wow...Thanks, I am usually in tune to such things, and I like a lot of people, LOVE Linderbaum...I thought he was much bigger! That is concerning, Just like I am very concerned about Picketts extremely small hands!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Not a comparison of the two, but your comment reminded me that Kordell also had extremely small hands. At least in a vid I remember he commented on. He had to grip the ball near the tip. And no this is not a snarling post lmao.

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I do realize that small hands is not an end all trait that makes or breaks a quality QB but...With the NFL having a bigger ball, the size of his small hands is concerning to me...

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    "Ikem Ekwonu, Kenyon Green and Zion Johnson,"

I like all 3 more than Linderbaum

My top 3 guys on my wish list

1) Ekwonu...I think he us the best guard in the draft. If they see him as a tackle he will go to early

2)Jordan Davis.. is a monster

3)Kenyon Green. The best guard of you think Ikem is s tackle

Again..Linderbaum might be paying for Greens year in my eyes

I actually liked and wanted Green.. he was on my pimp list in the draft side... and I don't even feel I was wrong on him. I said there was only 2 day 1 starters at C in the draft. Dickerson and Creed. with an outside shot with Myers. But Green would need a year or two.

I think I was right.. and I might be 100% wrong on Linderbaum. and honestly hope I am. I was wrong on Muth...I wanted Creed and thought Muth was just going to ride the pine for a year. Even if Creed was the better pick. I love everything Muth brought to the table and will be a huge cog going forward.

Again.. linderbaum might be the 2nd coming of Mike Webster. But for me. Im living in my fears and watching someone else reap the rewards

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Pickett's thumb is double jointed. Best grip in the NFL.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014