1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

T/F: Going forward, the Steelers are now the worst team in the AFCN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Jan 18, 2022.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Due to record?

2. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Just like you all thought they were the best team in the division last yr just because they won it and what happen?

3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    As long as the stains are in the AFCN, they have the worst in division title wrapped up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Maybe on paper starting next season. Luckily games aren't played on paper. The browns were supposed to be really good more times that I can count only to crap the bed most seasons. The Bengals are clearly the best team. It's not even close.

I think the Ravens and Browns have very over rated QB's. I also question the coaching on both teams. SO I basically put us in a 3 way tie for the bottom. All 3 teams have mediocre coaches with mediocre QB's. If Watt wasn't a steeler than yea...we'd probably be the worst team in the AFC. He is a steeler though and he wins games .

I think it greatly depends on who our QB is and who the Browns have as their starting QB. It's definitely a fight for the bottom between the 2 or 3 teams. The Browns could shock everyone and bring in a. good Qb. So could we for that matter. The Ravens should win at least 9 games. I don't see them regressing but I've been wrong before.

In regards to post season success over the past decade I think we rank last in the Division there as well. So it's definitely an arguable point. We really are no better than the Browns or Ravens as of late. It is what it is. Good franchises find ways to get better. 2021 Ben ranked like 16th in the NFL in passing. What he didn't do in yards he made up for in protecting the ball and not beating us w/ a bad O-line and bad WR's. So I think there's no excuse not to win more games in 2022 if our coaching staff is worth a crap. I'd put us around 8-9 wins again assuming we fix the o-line and D-line. Most because I don't think our coaching is good. I'm willing to bet the Browns or Ravens will find a way to lose more games. The Bengals do also have a history of choking so don't rule the out of a total collapse after 1 injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We won the division hence we were the best team. Now we went on to lose a playoff game to a division rival, but that doesn’t change the fact that we were the best team.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ben hearing that every offseason for a decade

HACK

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So the saints last yr were better than the bucs?

8. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Tomlin did something Noll and Cowher never did. He went 5 years without a playoff win

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Utpittsburghfan

Utpittsburghfan Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2018

3C48329E-F67A-41A4-BF4A-FF9666C25EF3.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The Brown's have an crazy amount of talent. Some of it it is unrealized at this point. Thankfully, they're still the Brown's.

Baker is plenty good enough to win if he has solid players and a gameplan. He's not going to carry a team on his back. I still think he's missing a go to wr. Nothing against Burrow but, if you gave Chase to Baker, he's going to look a lot better.

And of course Benny is talking about post-Ben Steelers. We're not going to win jack if Rudolph is our guy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We were supposed to be worse than those teams this year. You don’t sweep teams you are worse than.

We are better than them until they prove otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Within their division? Yes.

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Saints swept the bucs last yr and this yr.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So why didn't they win the sb?

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That doesn’t even make any sense

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fair enough but you need to be able to use some critical thinking. Certainly hope you aren’t comparing the Browns and Raven to the Bucs.

Also, last year the Bucs weren’t very good when they played the Saints, wasn’t until the later part of the season when Brady and the Bucs started to click.

18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    If you think in terms of which team in the AFC north would most likely win the SB in 2022... Obviously the Bengals are the only team with a legit chance. Then after that you'd have to rank Browns #2, Ravens #3, and Steelers #4. I can see a case for swapping the Ravens and browns...both teams have serious issues and legit strengths. It's a coin toss between the two teams but you cannot honestly say we have a better shot at winning the division or the SB than those two. The steelers don't really have any strength except pass rush. I'd give the nod to the Browns because they have a better defense and probably a better running game with a healthy Chubb.

Of the three teams both the Ravens and browns have a great running game. Steelers running game is a joke. The Browns have an all around solid defense. The Ravens pass defense was a joke (but I could see them quickly fixing that) Their run defense was elite but some of that might have been due to the fact that their pass defense was so bad. I don't see the Ravens stinking that bad next season. The Steelers defense pretty much sucks but injuries played a huge part in that. Both the Ravens and Steelers do have the potential to turn it around next season. Baltimore leads the league in run defense, steelers are dead last. Browns had one of the better defenses in the league.

QB play is probably the biggest question. This past season the Steelers had a better passing game than the Browns if you can believe that. The Ravens get the obvious nod for QB play due to the fact that we are probably running out Mason and Baker at the browns. Frankly all 3 teams have bad Qb's but at least the Ravens have a legit offense. Jackson can run and is probably most likely to finish the season as the starting Qb. I would not bet a penny that Mason or Baker will be the starting QB's the entire season. Both are basically playing for their careers so it will be interesting to see. But it's easy to say the Ravens have the best offense and the best run defense of the 3 teams. They also have a very good running game even though I'd give the nod to the Browns because they play a better over all defense. Steelers are not even in the conversation when it comes to offense or defense. Hopefully we can make a drastic turn around. It would be historic if we did.

I think we have more big play ability on defense just because of Watt, Cam, and Minkah. Those guys make game changing plays and you can easily argue Watt won 3 games him self. He's the only reason we lucked our selves into the playoffs. We should have lost to the bears and lions so we were also the luckiest team. The Ravens and Browns lack heart. We clearly have the better culture of the three teams. Offensively we stunk but we didn't turn the ball over. If you ask how come we made the playoffs if both teams are better on paper.... it's Watt making plays and Ben & Harris not turning the ball over... and luck. Usually it seems like bad luck costs us a couple wins. This year we were gifted a couple wins. Given the changes next season and the steelers sticking with MT and Canada I can't imagine us winning more than 8 games. The browns and Ravens both have a better chance on paper. Obviously anyone of these teams could get drastically better in the offseason. The steelers just have so many holes I don't see it happening. If it does it will be Tomlin's best coaching job of his entire career. we can all hope he's learned from his mistakes.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto, that doesn’t make any sense.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm not. But I'm just saying don't use the division record or division standings as a basis to say who is a better team.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Why doesn't it? If winning the division or having a better head to head division record makes you a better team, the bucs shouldn't have won the sb over the saints last yr as per your metrics the saints were better.

22. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

If all teams where healthy, who would you choose to lead your 2 minute offense? Lamar healthy, Baker healthy, Burrow healthy or Ben healthy? Everyone's offense is better than ours.

But you make a valid point.