1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

First shots fired at Canada

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 17, 2022.

1. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Zero crossing routes. RB screens are rare. Post routes are rare. Passing plays designed to got more than 6 yards on first down are rare. Even a frikking 10 yard curl is rare, probably the easiest route to execute in the game.

The routes run in this offense seemed to be 95%+ slants, fades, >6 yard outs, quick throws to the RB in the flat with no blockers and drags. Awful, mind numbing play design.

We used to run crossing routes ad nauseam when Haley was here, guys were open all the time. Why this team decided to throw away things that worked and fell in love with this ridiculously inefficient (5.1 and 8.1 yards per COMPLETION in the last 2 regular season games) passing scheme is beyond me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    When has that ever stopped anyone? :lolol:

Charlie Batch (Edit: I know I'm getting old. But that was embarrassing. Bad enough I sometimes confuse my grandkids' names) Byron Leftwich rose up the ranks pretty fast (in a great situation, but still). Tomlin wasn't exactly chock full of experience before becoming a HC. Or a DC for that matter.

A guy who's played virtually every position on offense except OL (but blocked like one). Someone who can instill some killer instinct into the offense. Who would emphasize being a team player and doing whatever is needed for the play to work. And had some coaching experience at least. Already vastly more qualified than Canada IMHO.

I would like him as a WR coach at least. Just not sure he's looking to go sideways instead of up.

A moldy ham sandwich is better than what we currently have.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Charlie Batch? What has he ever coached?

4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Why do you think what DJ says matters?

5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Doesn't Charlie Batch own and operate UPS stores?

6. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    How long does Canada have left on his contract?

They terminated Jack Bicknell's contract before it expired, IIRC.

7. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Seriously? His drops/penalty/poor route running single-handedly ended our momentum. We actually had a chance to possess the ball to chew up the last 4 minutes of the first half and go in 7-7 or even 10-7. His drop turned into 24 points….game over. It’s all different if he catches the dayum ball.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Whatever time he has left on his contract is too long.

• Like Like x 1
  9. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    You mean Byron Leftwich?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tulsa

Tulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    If it was just fans saying it, Tomlin or the higher ups could ignore it. With a player saying it, I think they have to at least address it in public or private. I'm hoping it makes them more aware. I think they sometimes have their heads in the sand about things.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But it started happening at the end of the season. Kind of like saying my tire wasn’t flat for the first 300 miles of our trip. It’s flat now.

Let’s hope he gets it patched and puts some air back in the tube.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am guessing Ray was thinking about Byron Leftwich and had a brain cramp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It should be addressed privately when a player says something. What the fans say should not matter and they should not be handling business like that in public.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a huge stretch. With what I saw from the offense yesterday those catches probably don’t make much difference.

They sure as hell don’t change the end results. You guys are dreaming if you think those drops caused them to lose the game.

I would have liked for him not to drop two passes in a playoff game but the whole team played like **** and he wasn’t the only one to drop passes.

Anyway, I though people were interested in seeing Canada being shown the door. Thats the point of this thread. I doubt DJ is the only one that feels this way, if Canada doesn’t have the confidence of the team, it could hasten his exit out the door.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Tulsa

Tulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    I get what you are saying. But don't you feel like many of us were aware of the issues with this team that was not addressed and the brass thought it was fine? I thought it was almost like they ignored what the fans were saying and it turns out we were right about a lot of it. The Oline was trash, offense was predictable and there were issues with ILB.

What I was saying that anything that continues to bring out that Canada needs to be replaced is a good thing to me. If there are many that are bringing it out, it seems like it can't be ignored.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    DK, and Dale Lolley say the same.
    I'll leave a video. Hope it shows up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    i wouldn’t go out on a limb and say it changes the results of a probable loss, however… 7 punts with 2 turnovers and one for a D score in the 1st half and the O yielding goose egg could’ve dramatically been impacted say so and so’s catch some chain moving balls possibly extending drives and maybe getting some points while also giving the D some blow time.

they were gassed before the half.

alas what ifs and could’ve beens are sombitches but it wouldn’t have hurt

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Just three, Jeh. He had two prior to that the whole year. This all goes back to the 14 from last year, every drop he has from here out will always be magnified because of it., Fans are very unforgiving of drops.

19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    No. I feel like the FO was fully aware of what the issues were going into the season and there wasn't much they could do about it. No player without a contract was sitting at home that was better than what they had. We don't know what free agents they talked to. We don't know what they tried to do behind the scenes to bring someone in, maybe they didn't. Just because they don't tell the fans does not mean conversations weren't had.

As far as Canada goes, sure, replace him. However, based on the fact that the offensive line was putrid, the QB was immobile, and the receivers are below average at creating separation I'm not sure anyone else would have done much better. I'm not sure what kind of gameplan the "fans" want them to create when the QB has less than 2 seconds to throw the ball. How far down the field do you think a receiver can get in 1 second? What kind of pass game are you going to have when a team doesn't have to worry about a run game?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes I know but Gerry tweeted out his stats and kinda missed that one while trying to throw a jab at the coaching staff. Which they do deserve but come on man get the stats right.

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    agreed but it’s hard to argue either way that the coaching staff just usually seems to be late to the party be them in tow with talented/talentless players or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd add in that Ward would instill a nothing is given type mentality it must be earned each and every day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    More likely they would encourage Matt Canada is find other employment so that they don't have to say fired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Does Canada have some interviews believe it or not?

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They didn’t remotely say the same thing. Blier blamed Dj for giving the Chiefs 24 points. Dale and Lolly said the receivers didn’t make any plays, they never even mentioned DJ. They also said its hard to get separation when you are only throwing the ball 6 yards. They were actually blaming Ben and Canada more than anyone else but they were trying to be respectful of Ben while doing it.