1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

First shots fired at Canada

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Gerry saying it, too.

Although I’m sure a lot of that was being down 28 points.

2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Isn't there a movie about going to war with Canada to deflect some political issue? Yes, Canadian Bacon, with John Candy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, our entire offensive approach was rooted in stupidity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    South Park, the Movie too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    What clickbait......you're right, it's more like KC playing a prevent defense due to the score, just like all year once teams get up on the Steelers big.

No Gerry, we don't trust you.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Mahomes also had the ability to scramble out of the pocket and extend plays when his pocket broke down....Ben had 1.3 seconds to throw on most plays

Gerry is a troll

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Can his azz

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hey Gerry btw how many interceptions has Mahomes thrown in 3 career games vs Pittsburgh? Is it zero?

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    To be fair sometimes he had that little others it was perceived pressure and he threw it anyway

11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Look at it from this perspective. Let's say they didn't hire Canada and they brought someone in from the outside, here is how the job would be sold:

New OC, you have a 39-year-old immobile QB with a questionable arm, below-average receivers that create no separation, an offensive line that will be blown off the ball 3 out of 4 snaps, that cannot run or pass block. Your QB will have 1.2 seconds to throw the ball and the runningback will be hit in the backfield on most run plays.

What we want are a strong running game and the deep ball.

If you cannot deliver game plans that will give us what we want with the tools we gave you, you will be fired at the end of the season.

Go.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    He threw one last night

13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    When will we know the fate of Canada??

14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Hell, if Hines wants to step up in coaching, I say bring him in as OC. Can't be any worse. Probably will be an improvement.

And if he does well, and no one snatches him up first, perhaps the heir apparent if Tomlin decides to cash out early.

I'll try anything at this point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s been mostly the same week in and week out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not 2 defend anyone, but if....(let's say you) are playing Qb, and 2 drives in a row (you) throw the ball 2 a certain Wrs for a first down, and this certain Wrs drops it( right in the hands , forsure 1st down)...so on the next 2 drives (you)see the same Wr open on 3rd down, but now Your unsure....should I throw it 2 him, or do something I haven't yet this game??? Take a chance at a big lucky play??? Because each time We are going off the field the other team is scoring.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    That is the appropriate division of labor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I saw this earlier. You know, I really had high hopes for MR when we drafted him. Seemed like he had all the tools to develop into a quality NFL starter. But based on what he’s put out there so far, he’s a quality backup at best. He’s shown flashes of competence and then looked awful. Not sure what’s going on with him. Maybe he’s trying to be too perfect, I don’t know. I really hope the light comes on for him next season because he will, in all likelihood, be QB1 at the start of the season.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It could be worse. Hines has zero experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I predict the Steelers will retain him for another season. Canada’s offensive scheme requires a mobile quarterback who is effective at running an RPO based offense. In other words, everything Ben isn’t. I think the Steelers will try to find such a quarterback either through the draft or free agency, upgrade the OL and give Canada one last opportunity.

21. Tulsa

Tulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    I'm glad DJ said this. Whatever it takes to get rid of Canada. I don't have confidence that Tomlin will do it on his own.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Canada should be gone, like yesterday.

Maybe my ears were playing tricks on me but I thought I also heard him say that dropping a ball is no big deal.

Uh….

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not sure what you think I was talking about, but I was talking about how we’ve always taken a lot of low-probability deep shots on 3rd and short with Ben at the helm, no matter who the OC is. My favorite was ending the first possession of an AFCCG by taking a shot to Sammie Coates :facepalm:

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was simply talking about last night. Not the history of the Steelers. That was all.:shrug:

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't care if Canada stays or goes. If we bring in a FA, then I really don't care. If we go with Mason, there may be an advantage of keeping Canada just for the familiarity with the system.

I'm not against keeping him because I'm not entirely sold that he is the reason for our offensive issues. The Oline is horrible. That makes it hard to call anything deep. Ben can't hit the deep stuff reliably either. Ben is a statue, doesn't like to be under center and doesn't like playaction, particularly playaction from under center. All that stuff limits what an OC can do.

But the biggest thing for me is that the offence we saw this year is the same crap we saw most of last year. Canada wasn't here last year. Ben was.

Maybe, just maybe, with a different QB and with a hopefully improved OL, things will be very different in terms of playcalling. It's not as if we're going to contend next year anyway, so I'm not sure there's much downside to bringing him back for at least one more year