1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

1st team to give up 40 + points in 3 straight playoff games

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SWSteel, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    In our house to boot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I'd never even thought about that but yeah that is even worse. :facepalm:

3. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    IIRC before the game when asked about game preparation by the sideline reporter, MT made a statement of something in the line of 'we don't worry about what our opponents are capable of doing" or something like that. Maybe someone can remember what he said. I was thinking if you don't know what your opponent are capable of doing, how do you what to defend against? If this is right, what an idiot. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Reminds me of a time when my son was a HS junior playing LT and getting ready for a Friday night game against a school that had two monster DL who stopped everything in the middle of the field and caused had QBs running for their lives. I was chatting with the OC during pregame chow and asked him about how he was going to try and handle these opposing DL. He said, um I coach offense not defense. I just looked at him and said mmmm-K buddy. Needless to say, they finished 0-11 that season and my son wasn't interested in playing his Sr year for that moron.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm with you on everything but overvaluing Lebeau defense. Towards the end his D was getting lit up quite regularly as well and I doubt his schemes would have made any difference yesterday. And I believe they are still an influence on what Tomlin is doing now. Brady could shred that thing up at will so no doubt Mahommes would do the same.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    You should look at the defensive personnel from 2013 and 2014. It was worse than now. A lot worse.

Cowher/Lebeau did get lit up in the 2004 AFCCG. 34 points is a lot. Some of it was scheme and some of it was Willie Williams face planting :roflmao:. The other games they allowed 20 and 23 to NE. Bad timing on their worst game.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He said that after the game too. It’s all part of that “we do what we do!” mentality. Call me crazy, but wouldn’t it be smart to try to understand what your opponent does as well and devise a strategy to counteract that? :shrug:

8. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, big time. I don't know how he is able to do what he is doing without planning some type of countermeasures to an opponent's strengths. No wonder other teams already know what we're going to do. Terrible. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You mean like 2019 :shrug:

10. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Easiest schedule in the league that year I think the best win was a 9-7 Rams team. Plus they had an insane amount of crazy D TDs (Minkah) that hasn’t happened since and won’t again. Tomlin without a HOF QB will be intriguing.

11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    You're fairly optimistic to think it'll only last that long... or not get worse.

We have to rebuild. And - blame whoever you want - the team just procrastinates on correcting weaknesses. By the time they do, 1-2 other major areas of the team have gone down the toilet. Kind of happens when you think a token low-mid level veteran FA, or 5th round draft pick will fix everything. I have a bad feeling that by the time our o-line and interior defensive front are fixed, we'll have no skill players on offense, the secondary will be atrocious, and Watt's best years will be behind him.

But I had a bad day today. Maybe I'm just grumpy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Pretty close though. The difference is that they started strong and phased out. Yes their was the offenses ineptitude but the bottom line is they made zero adjustments. That's on coaching. The Chiefs did. 404 yards 30/39 for Maholmes. Oh and Kelse threw a TD as well. How does Kelse get so open? The secondary looked lost out there. Coaching.

Both coordinators need to be replaced from the outside and Tomlin needs to be the big picture guy. Because he's not going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
  14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SWSteel.

Yeah but, but Coach Tomlin's coaching resume indicates that his "specialty" is on the Defensive side of the ball. Wow, it should never had slipped out of the bag that he had taken over the Defensive calling duties from Coach Butler. It only further solidifies how incompetent he is. Time for Tomlin to go. He has the "gift of gab". He would make a great Analyst/Commentator. Wait, maybe just commentator. An Analyst has to actually know something about that which he/she is "analyzing"

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1