1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Report Card

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A fair and honest assessment of the game by Fittipaldo. It was bad as it looked.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Can’t argue with anything he said.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We all saw the same thing. Not much last night to celebrate outside of TJ and Cam. This team has a lot of needs that have been neglected for years by the caretakers Tomlin and Colbert. Going to take awhile to turn this thing around and Tomlin has proven over and over that he's not the guy to do it. Until the owners show Tomlin the door, the steelers will just wallow in the basement of the AFCN. Welcome back to the 80s.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Agreed. Even though Ben was clearly done next year the QB position is most likely even worse for us. Let that sink in a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would like to give Harvin an A for last night. He had to feel the pressure from all the Steeler Fans trying to run him out of town before the game even started.

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He did his job.

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Disagree. We had a lot of talent go to waste this year because Ben could not move in the pocket and could not throw the ball downfield.

Next year the QB position will be better.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    He didn't shank any, but he sure did outkick his coverage consistently. Maybe a B.

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    While I'll agree the game sucked..... at least it wasn't anything like 2020's fiasco against the Browns. Had the offense been able to move the ball for one or two possessions in the first half..... it would have been a completely different game. Many reasons for the offensive failures, but at least it wasn't the bumbling stumbling mind blowing game like last year.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    How dare he kick the ball too far! It's not like they were line drives. Harvin did his job. The coverage team did not on that one big return, especially whoever was supposed to be on the edge but got caught too far inside.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    You must not think Mason Rudolph will be the starting QB then.

12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Correct. The punters job is to kick the ball as high and far as he can unless he's near midfield. I hate hearing the phrase "out kicked the coverage". What's the punter supposed to do, think "Boy, our coverage team really sucks. Maybe I should punt a 30 yard shank so I don't out kick their lousy coverage".

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This poor performing team we are complaining about made it to the playoffs, though I am not sure how. With potential upgrades at QB, offensive line (could it be worse?), and one or two other positions, why the gloom and doom? A couple of rookies on offense going into their second year, Cam and Watt wreaking havoc, and maybe a new OC, I think the future is bright.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They were just thoroughly outclassed and they have more than a few positions to upgrade. Of course, things look worse right now that they will once people get some perspective, but this team has problems. The worst of it is if they really don't get Tuitt back. He was sorely missed this season and that is a big setback if he can't return, especially because they have so many holes to fill.

The other sad part last night was watching Joe Haden. He looked done. He simply doesn't have the speed any longer to be a starting corner in the NFL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    And yet in 2010 BOTH DE were injured, missing a combined 15 games, and the Steelers had the #1 defense and allowed 3.0 yards per carry.

Maybe it's coaching?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Arguments like this are why people label you a troll. You cherry pick one detail and try to pass it off as support for an argument that doesn't come close to holding up.

You do realize that Tomlin coached that 2010 team as well, right? I wonder if there were other factors that allowed that defense to hold up better than the 2021 team. Perhaps the fact that they still had James Farrior at inside linebacker. Lawrence Timmons was the other starter. Those two would constitute a massive upgrade over the collection of failures the Steelers started at inside linebacker this season. They also had a dominant nose tackle in Casey Hampton and one of their replacements on the defensive line was Brett Keisel. Oh, and they had James Harrison at outside linebacker and Troy Polamalu at safety.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Watt and Harrison are a wash and so are Minkah and Troy. Maybe it's their supporting casts that are the difference? Could it be coaching?

Farrior would be pretty useless in this defense. (Pretty few ILB wouldn't be)

The defense in 2010 was run by Lebeau. It had elements of Tomlin's defense like not defending the middle of the field but the DL was a two gap system where DE occupied blockers. Lebeau didn't need superstars like Tuitt and Heyward- that was the point.

When Hampton went down in 2004 Hoke stepped in. Steelers allowed the fewest rushing yards anyways. And so it went.

Are you not aware of how different Tomlin's current defense is from Lebeau's?

19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Mine:

Offense - F

Defense - C (only because their downfall was the poor offense, before they got gassed they had a plan that seemed to be working but these guys aren't super human)

Special Teams - C (Kicking and Punting gets an A, coverage gets an F)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yea, I heard a comment last night that the Steeler(s) D lacked speed. It sure looked that way. I recall Shazier and the younger Bush were able to make up for bad initial reads with their speed, but now if the D doesn’t read things perfectly, they don’t seem to be able to compensate. They looked slow all season. Except for Cam, who seemed to be everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1