1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin never had a losing season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jack LHambert, Jan 16, 2022.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Normally I would be right there with you. But tonight I just can't. This team over-achieved. I will give Tomlin his due.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What about last year when we fell behind to the Cleveland Browns 28-0 in the first quarter? Why has that been a hallmark of Tomlin’s legacy? It’s almost like we have no idea what to expect from the competition until the game starts and then we try to figure it out as we go. Do we have no discipline in the film room? I’m seriously asking. I don’t think this needs to be ignored. We need to address that deficiency if we expect to improve. Not saying we do that with a new head coach but Rooney and the FO can’t stick their heads in the sand and expect it to get better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    going from a 12-4 season to 8-8-1 is over achieving ? so he failed up ? :shock:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The amount of people who mindlessly hate him is larger.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Last year when we fell behing the browns 28 - 0.
    First drive- 1 play, snap over head, fumble recovered in end zone.
    second drive- interception, 46 yard drive
    Third drive- 65 yards.
    fourth drive- interception, 15 yard drive.
    So yeah, a 28-0 hole giving up 120 yards of offense. Not Ben (or Pouncy) let's blame Tomlin.

6. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019

It's not worth trying to convince delusional people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exhibit A: the fool thinks it’s mindless hate.

The truth: Tomlin has earned all the “hate” thrown at him

8. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Maybe I didn't go far enough but no one is going to quote this guy.

I'll argue on the use of major but it's not wrong. There are holes and they need to be filled.

9. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Is this from last year or this year?
    2 OCs same HC and QB.

Was is 7 possessions for like 100 yards 5 hours ago?
    I love Ben but the game has moved on.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Seriously, just stop. You and others keep pushing this idea that the offense made some change in the third quarter that should have happened earlier. What changed is the Chiefs slacked off a bit once they were up 28. That's it.

Your argument about the punter is just ridiculous. I was wrong and Tomlin got that right. Harvin finally looked like the guy they thought they were drafting tonight. The one big return was not his fault. It was sloppy work by the coverage team.

Roethlisberger repeatedly missed on throws down the field tonight. This offense plays that way because they can't protect the passer and because Roethlisberger could no longer consistently hit throws down the field.

The Steelers were overmatched in talent tonight. We all knew that going in. You tried to make a game when his team was hopelessly overmatched into a referendum on Tomlin, which just shows your lack of interest in a genuine evaluation, and this is coming from a guy who called for him to be fired in 2018.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I love how unless the team is perfect personnel-wise, Tomlin cannot be blamed for anything. Like no coach ever has won without Pro Bowlers at each position. Or execution has nothing to do with the game plan, playcalling, play design, or in-game adjustments.

Tomlin is mid, as the youth say. And we’re stuck with him because our owner sucks. And our GM is just a glorified head scout who’s at the mercy of a mediocre coach and lousy owner

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    thank God for hating the browns :bowdown:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    no this beat down was expected...is that a good thing tho that it was expected ? :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Keep whacking away at that straw man and let us know when you want to actually have a genuine conversation.

Tomlin certainly deserves some blame for the loss, but to make this one game against a far superior opponent the be-all and end-all game to evaluate him is a joke.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    The fool or who follows the fool.

I'll take 8-8 wth mason because I think that's what he has. Also, I think mason was a Tomlin pick, digest that for a second .

16. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    We are just undisciplined. We definitely lack in the film study department under Tomlin. We run the same defense, over and over. Everything wide open over the middle. The dreaded third and long! Guess what? Teams convert on us alot on third and long. That's coaching!
    He should've been fired after the Tebow debacle! All those wasted years, when we had AB and Bell, we were unstoppable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Tomlin doesn’t win playoff games though. He’s gotta he what 4-10?

18. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Steelers started no huddle in the 3rd.

KC played majority man coverage in the 3rd.

KC didn't play soft zone until the 4th.

So yeah there was a change. The route depth increased also and the RPO decreased.

Harvin outkicked the coverage. That was a 48 yard return. How is that not on the punter? There wasn't a Steeler within 10 yards of Hardman when he fielded that low punt too far off the boundary. Go watch it again and tell me the gunners had a chance to do their job.

Yeah the OL is bad. That's not on the HC who hires the OL coach? Drafts the players with Colbert? From 2007-2013 and 2019-2021 the line has been bad. That's a lot of years. It's not new or remotely exclusive to 2021. The running game has never been worse than the past three seasons- when it was needed the most.

19. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Weren't the Steelers far more talented than Tebow's Broncos? Bortles' Jaguars? Mayfield's Browns?

Just keep moving the goal post. Marrone was HC in Jax 5 seasons and went 23-43 over that time... they were able to go into Pittsburgh and beat Tomlin's team. The Steelers aren't anywhere near that bad and can't go beat Andy Reid's team??

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Marty Schottenheimer of today

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm trying not to get too knee jerk.

Yes, this game went almost exactly like my brain told me it would (my heart wished otherwise). So no. I'm not surprised by the outcome. And there's no shame losing to a team like the Chiefs. Losing in the fashion we did is another matter. THAT is downright embarrassing. Defense came out to play and tried hard for 1 1/2 quarters until the offense showed they had zero heart or effort at all. When the D got tired either physically or mentally from trying to continually push a rock uphill, the game snowballed out of control.

We really didn't belong in the playoffs. This was nowhere close to being a playoff team. Yeah, we did enough to get there. But talent, scheme, and effort were lacking all season long.

There's lots of fingers to point. And Tomlin has his fair share of them. But he's not alone by any means. Someone (multiple someones) need to be held accountable and set adrift. It's no secret I have little confidence in Tomlin to get us to another Championship. But we have a lot of other cancers to cut out too. Canada better not be on the payroll by 0830 tomorrow. Butler can see the door too.

Not sure I have any hope for next year, or maybe the next several. A good off-season or 3 might get me there. But I'm not holding my breath. Worst is remembering the TWENTY years in between Bradshaw going off into the sunset and having a decent QB again. So many good teams held back by inadequate QB play. I don't have another 20 years to wait most likely. At least not good years past 20. I hope we don't have to wait that long.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Dark Days are coming for the Iron that is a certainty. Just have to hope it’s only a few years and not 10. Only hope we have is that mt finally has enough with a couple terrible years and leaves on his own accord.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    The Steelers are 3-8 in their last 11 playoff games. They are 0-4 and given up 171 points in their last four playoff games. They have not won a playoff game in five consecutive seasons - their longest stretch since 1967-71.

Mike Tomlin began 5-1 in playoff games. He is now 3-8 in his last 11 playoffs games and has a losing record - 8-9 in the playoffs. He hasn't won a playoff game since 2016.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not flipping out over this loss, but changes need to be made.
    Please Art II take the eye test and ask yourself are you seeing the type
    of football your Dad and Chuck Noll built? Several changes need to be made.
    A new energy needs to be found. Several coaches need to be gone. I know our talent
    level is not there, but can we find coaches and players that will be held accountable?
    We need to find coaches that will put our players in a position to succeed and be excited
    playing for the PGH STEELERS and football in general. I don't see this in our current staff or roster.
    There is a good core of players but not nearly enough to compete for championships.

25. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    But that regular season record. And we just don’t have good players. And that regular season record.

• Agree Agree x 1