1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Beloved Terrible Towel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersMagic85, Jan 16, 2022.

1. SteelersMagic85

SteelersMagic85 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2021
    Morning Ladies and Gentlemen! Happy GameDay! Hoping for some more magic tonight, would really like to see the troops rally around Ben and one another and make a run, we will see! Anyway I figured I would start a thread about the "Gameday" terrible towel. For myself I have multiple terrible towels that I have acquired over the years and usually for special games I'll bust out a special terrible towel. Call me weird but surely I'm not the only Stiller fan that does this?!

Anyway feel free to share your terrible towel stories and what they mean to you. The terrible towel I'll be waving tonight is from the Super Bowl 40 season and you'll notice the second picture is the pin that is attached to it. What a special season that was and what an upset of the Colts in the Divisional Game! Gives me the chills just thinking about it!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!

20220116_055539.jpg 20220116_055549.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    nice granite. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    The one i use is from my 1st game ever at heinz back from when pitt lost to the jets but then beat the jets in the afc champ. Forget the backup TEs name but he dropped a game winning td from my angle on the other endzone. I now get one every year i go, but i only ever use that 1st one.

I never bought my kids one and took them to training camp this past year and told them it was their time to get one. They don't care as much bc theyre 6, but i have them get dressed up for gameday and wave their towels even if its for a minute. I made sure they watched bos kick the game winner last week and rather than watch other families play w toys on YouTube while eating breakfast this week we watched steelers video/songs and 1 they like is ghost of cope bc it mentions the towel.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SteelersMagic85

Dec 19, 2021

Sounds like some great memories, thanks for sharing! Nothing better than raising future die hard fans and showing them the ways of us crazy fans lol. If you like the steelers music(I definitely do) check these out:

- Steelers Country by Kevin Morgan
    - Steelers Polka
    - 12th man-Lord loves a Steelers Fan

GO Steelers!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    True story, I had a friend mine move to Pittsburgh to work for Bayer Pharmaceutical, I called her and asked how she’s doing? She knows I’m a big Steeler fan and says “hey what the hell is with all these yellow wash rags being carried around and waved at the game”. I immediately cracked up laughing then informed her never to say that in public again!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I have 3 Terrible Towels and my son has 2. The only time my terrible towel sees any action is when we go to a game or if the Steelers are in the playoffs. The last time my terrible towel was out was for the Bengals loss in Cincinnati this season. It did not get waved much during that game. Tonight will hopefully have different results. This particular one is an Original that my brother bought for me back in 1978. It has never been washed. Has a couple blood stains on it from my challenging youth days. Can't hardly remember how though they got there.

Rules for Terrible Towel usage are as follows from my stand point:

1. Live game action - Original 1978 Terrible Towel.
    2. Wild Card or first Playoff game - Original 1978 Terrible Towel.
    3. Divisional Round - Myron Cope Double Yoi Terrible Towel.
    4. AFCCG - Superbowl XL Terrible Towel.
    5. Superbowl - All Terrible Towels combined plus new SB Terrible Towel.

• Like Like x 3
  7. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Thanks. Never heard the 1st and 3rd. Steelers polka is 1 i always play and the kids laugh

• Like Like x 2
  8. SteelersMagic85

Dec 19, 2021

I never wash my terrible towels either. Thanks for sharing your story and prerequisites for the TT use! GO STEELERS!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersMagic85

Dec 19, 2021

You're very welcome! Go Steelers!!

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The Terrible Towel is Poised to Strike!

myron.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  11. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    FB_IMG_1642348157583.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Love your Franco’s Italian Army flag icon. I recall Gerella’s Gorillas, too. Wish we had more stuff like that today.

• Like Like x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. I was looking at that

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't have many Terrible Towel stories...and I always like to refresh my towel every couple years.

One funny story is from when I went to Baltimore for Ravens/Steelers. I think this is 2005 the year we won the Superbowl. Ben didn't play that game...

But anyways ... it was funny because Steelers made a play and all the Steeler Fans started twirling their towels. They all must have been brand new because all the Ravens fans were sprinkled by a ton of gold fuzzies in the air. LOL!!!! Everyone was looking around like, WTF? HA HA!!!

Sprinkled with that Steelers dust!

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have just 2 . One is so old it's not gold anymore. It like piss Stained color, and the other just hangs on the wall. I don't even touch it. Still spinning My piss colored one. LoL

• Like Like x 3
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I have my mother’s original TT from 1975

• Like Like x 8
  17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    At the Bengals game we were waiting in line to go into the stadium and another Steelers fan noticed my TT and said to his girlfriend, that thing is old.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    My buddy got thrown out of Lambeau because someone snatched his towel and he was trying to get it back. I decided to go with him so I could wave mine in support. The cheeseheads cheered loudly.

• Like Like x 2
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That reminds Me. In the old Dallas stadium. I was waving My towel, and someone in the glassed indoors part right above My head,and behind Me kept trying 2 reach out , and grab it. So I jumped up and snapped it into the window. I don't know if I got anyone, but Nobody tried grabbing it after. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Are you sure he was talking about the towel?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  21. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Mods. Can we please get a “love button”. Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    That don`t count. Need one of their players to stomp on a Terrible Towel in public to get the curse going.

• Like Like x 1
  23. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You inspired me OP, pulled one of my towels off the wall and hung it up on the entertainment center. Kinda liking it, might make it a new tradition.

PXL_20220116_202033044-4.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  24. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    “If you don’t have one buy one, if you don’t want to buy one then dye one”

• Like Like x 2
  25. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    We have 3, one is mine, one is my son's and one is my daughter's.

Mine is an older, sort of faded standard TT. My son's is a newer/brighter version of the same thing with a couple of autographs on it from training camp a few years ago. My daughter's is one that my son bought for her at the game in Cincinnati this year.

We'll have them all out and waving tonight.

• Like Like x 3