1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Congrats TJ Watt and Cam Heyward

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 14, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Right? It's weird that Brian Flores is considered such a genius when he shipped off such a young All-Pro defender.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Are you saying Heyward would have had better numbers with Lebeau? I think Tomlin taking over the defense boosted Heyward's numbers- more 1 gap. DE used more for pressure than to occupy blockers. Same for Watt also. Tomlin doesn't drop OLB back into coverage like Lebeau did. Steelers Depot claimed Watt dropped into coverage 9% of the time through 13 games to start 2020 compared to 39% in 2017. I know for certain Harrison and Woodley dropped back into coverage more than any other OLB and IIRC approx. 40% of pass snaps. It makes me wonder if Harrison could have hit 20 sacks in 2008 with more chances to rush the passer.

I'm shocked that Heyward put up 10 sacks this season. He's had A-gap responsibilities way more of the time in Alualu's absence. Not too many players can play NT and line up as a stand up linebacker he's pretty incredible. This is probably Heyward's best season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Heyward has 1 more sack and triple the tackles. :shrug:

4. SteelersMagic85

SteelersMagic85 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2021
    Both guys are more than deserving of the honor! Two great leaders as well! Congratulations

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Top notch season, congrats to both.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hayward and Watt were easy selections. I’m glad neither got screwed. The selection of Diggs was surprising and IMO a poor choice. He giveth every bit as well as he taketh away. The #1 responsibility of a defense is to prevent an offense from scoring points, and he gave up big plays (all kinds of plays) more than any high profile corner I’ve seen in a long time. I had seen a stat somewhere a few weeks ago showing his yards + TDs allowed, and it was ugly. If I flip the script to find an analogy on offense it makes me think of Jameis Winston’s 2019 season in Tampa when he threw for 5,100 yards and 33 TDs, but also 30 ints.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    played 4 more games

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    they already did 2010s

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they just want Watt rushing the QB as much as possible. I’m fairly certain Dupree dropped into coverage a lot.

Agree about different usage under LeBeau for Heyward, they were more focused on eating up blockers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If the refs wouldn't have blown that call in the Green Bay game where Minkah blocked the FG and scooped it up and ran for a TD, I think he might have had a chance at All-Pro. That was the most athletic splash play made by a defensive player all year.

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They've both been amazing. Heyward is the heart and soul of this defense. Not flashy but as disruptive as there is love the guy.

Watt is DPOY and tied for most sacks in a year ever so no words need to be said regarding him.

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I still believe Minkah to be an all pro caliber level despite a down year statistically. Look for him blow it open next year. Great players don't just go away.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Maybe Chris Jones could have 15 tackles a game over those 4 games but that's a lot.

14. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Troy had some years without many picks. Minkah made a stupid amount of tackles this year- an indictment on the defense as a whole.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I was talking about the sacks which hold more weight than tackles at that position.

16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Here's the article not sure if I linked it.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/steelers-2020-defensive-charting-first-13-games/

You just reminded me that Cowher did plan on using the ROLB more as a pass rusher. Put the best pass rusher there at least in theory (Greene and Gildon had other ideas).

I don't think any DE hit 10 sacks under Cowher?

17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Sacks hold more weight but Chris Jones had fewer sacks too. :shrug:

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    right 1 less in 4 fewer games played.

19. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Jones had a 4 game stretch without a sack last year. :shrug:

I don't think Jones is remotely as good as Heyward. Not even about stats just playing ability. Jones plays a lot of 4-3 LDE so not really even the same position but if you watch his bad games like vs. the Ravens he gets blocked by a TE multiple times or just fails to diagnose the play on runs. Even if the other team double teams Heyward they aren't moving him and now he is occupying 2 blockers which is his job. Heyward is all bull rush and he never stops fighting; Chris Jones either wins at the point of attack on his swim move or he is out of the play. Chris Jones looks better than he is because when he does win he wins big and makes the blocker look stupid. I'm taking Heyward all day. He collapses the pocket on most passing downs and is never out of a play. I really don't think it's that close.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

...... :facepalm:

Read the post again then.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Consider this also an unpopular take but Jalen Ramsey should have at least 40 or more votes. What he has been for that Rams Secondary is nothing short of magic. Take Ramsey away from that back end and.... yikes!!! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am saying that Heyward's impact would have been more apparent had he played more within his first two seasons. People tend to forget how dominant a Run Stuffing Defensive End Heyward was coming out. It was his pass rush that needed some tuning but the intangibles to build off of that skill set were already in place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    AQL my inner English teacher compels me to say this and truly I'm sorry but it's "for all intents and purposes"

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hi:

Noted!!!

I shall remember for future reference! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If he was with Lebeau in his prime yes his sack numbers would be way down but the run defense would be darn near impossible to run against. When Butler and Tomlin started activating the DE in the 3-4 you can draw a correlation with rush yards given up due to this.

• Agree Agree x 1