1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is a #1 Receiver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2022.

1. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    DJ is improving every year. He seems to work hard in the offseason in his weakness during the season. I wish Claypool would do the same in the offseason.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, he needs to get stronger maybe put on ten pounds, it worked for AB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    DJ effort on some plays is lacking, even if Ben throws a bad pass, he needs to fight harder for the ball that sometimes leads to an interception.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know I'd call him a #1 receiver yet. He is still coming into his own. He is a #1 receiver by default, but I don't think he is a game changing #1 yet. If we get JuJu back next year and we now have two legitimate receivers, maybe then he can prove to be a #1. Friermuth in the mix will definitely help as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He said "neither is game planned against" meaning coaches don't lose sleep over putting a game plan together to stop either one of these guys.

Like he said both are solid number 2s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Facing 2 man does not necessarily mean double coverage. A team can call 2 man for reasons other than trying to double someone.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    This guy who claims he knows football thinks 22 man is when a team is trying to specifically double a receiver lmao.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He started getting doubled up early in his career. You ever get tired of being wrong. Oh that’s right, only AB has faced double coverage in Pittsburgh. Keep trying and go kiss his poster again.

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2...the-bills-plus-how-the-offense-can-adapt.html

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    WTH are you talking about, they are literally focusing on him :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So everybody doubled team by your logic. 2 man is a basic concept virtually everyone runs. It's not a specific scheme to double 1 guy.

I said nothing about AB. You did.

11. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    WTH are you talking about? I've never heard any outlet, sports reporter, or any broadcaster say "Diotae Johnson is someone the (said team) needs to prepare for". Even our own local reporters say very little about him being any type of game changers.

Now, if you are facing Tyreek Hill, Kooper kupp, Jamar Chase or Jefferson, you here them say you have to put your best or game planned against these guys..

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So by your logic that stat means nothing and running two man makes no difference on a receiver.

You didn’t have to mention AB, it’s exactly what you were thinking. You bristle at any compliments given to any Steelers receiver other than AB. You know Johnson gets compared to him and when you watch them both, its easy to see why.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Right, he faces a lot of double coverage because DC’s aren’t worried about him :thumbs up:

14. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Isn't this more of a result of the offense we run vs the amazing skills of our WR's?

It's just another piece of evidence that Canada doesn't know what the hell he's doing. His offense works on the college field. Opponents base their coverage on the plays we run. I think most defenses are playing their safeties up against us because they have no worries we can beat them deep. Most of our passes are short. This allows them to crowd the LOS, shut down our run game, and play press. Our WR's struggle to get off the LOS and if they do beat their man they'll have a safety to deal with because they're playing aggressive due to the fact that we are not a threat deep and everything we do is near the LOS.

We love to throw passes 3 yards or less which gives the opponents even more reason to crowd the LOS...which makes it even harder to run. Our lack of running game has also made it easier for opponents to focus on stopping our passing game. We basically help opponents stop our run game by the offense we run. It's like a bad feed back loop. Our inability to run puts more pressure on us to complete passes on 3rd and long. Which is why we so many negative pass plays and 3 yard passes on 3rd and long.

We should be using Harris and Pat more in the passing game. This will help free up our WR's. We don't have the O-line to handle a spread offense unless it involves a quick slant or screen. Our WR's inability to get open deep makes defenses more comfortable crowing the LOS and putting more people in the box. We make it difficult on our selves.

This offense is a joke. The only thing it does is help our O-line protect Ben because he gets rid of the ball quickly. In the mean time it's killing Harris and making it nearly impossible to drive the field. We are also the slowest team in the NFL to run a play in the first half. We not only force opponents to crowd the LOS we allow them all day to get the perfect personnel on the field and we give them all day to read our offense. Which if you haven't noticed is probably the most basic vanilla offense the NFL has seen in years. Get Harris involved in the passing game, use him like we used to use Bell. Go up tempo from the start of the game and get defenses into having to guess w/ the wrong personnel groups. This will free up WR's , it might actually free up some deep routes that will eventually free up running lanes. It could force them to use LB's on Pat and Harris. All miss matches that we should win most of the time. This college offense is stupid but what really blows my mind is the fact that we just refuse to make real adjustments. MT's stubbornness has killed us way too many times.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't think it means nothing for anyone on the list. 2 man is a base concept. It only effects a wr trying to go deep and it's not strictly about them. If someone in the slot runs a seam route they'd take that safety away. That isn't strictly for the reason of putting 2 guys on a wr.

And I wasn't thinking about AB. Imo Claypool has the talent to be a number 1 as in like a legit game changer. I don't see that from DJ. So no I don't hate on everyone not named AB.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

#2 receiver my ass.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    What list is this?

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    DJ has really improved himself and is a #1 receiver. It`s just very recent one could say that.

If Claypool takes his career more seriously and our TE`s keep improving, we can be a serious threat when we finally get a good O-line.

Problems are, what guys are gone by the time we have a good O-line and who do we have at QB then?

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers WR/TE core is good, they must be held accountable. Wouldn't hurt if we get a qb
    that could hit them in stride!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I really wish he was. So far, a drop and a false start.
    Can’t make those mistakes in playoff games against good teams.
    Definitely no Hines.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Jeff Laizure

Jeff Laizure Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Yuo

23. Jeff Laizure

Jeff Laizure Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Are u kidding me he is a joke talent doesn't mean **** if u can't catch the ball how many drops this year mental midget

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he's not a No. 1. A No. 1 doesn't kill his team in a playoff game like this.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    DJ is crap. Aka #2

• Disagree Disagree x 1