1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Diontae Johnson is a #1 Receiver

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :shrug:

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think he’s a legit #1, but a lower tier #1. He runs some of the best routes of all receivers in the league, and gets great separation. That’s critical for him because he’s not very physical. I think he may be the easiest player to bring down that I’ve ever seen at the NFL level. I’m sure we’ll give him a second contract, and he’s well worth it, provided that we don’t pay him like a top 10 WR.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree. The one drop Sunday he pulled his head. He has all the tools and really improved that fault the first 3/4 of this season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's just so subjective and beyond that often is argued by people whose concept of x, y, and z receivers is muddled with #1 receiver, #2 receiver and so on. I remember a few years ago some one got triggered on the topic and wrote a huge post explaining it and it was a solid read. Just not my favorite.

Yes the 5th post in the thread clearly points to me enjoying talking about it, but I Haye it I tell you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    DJ has always had the dropping passes problem. he starts looking for where he is going to go before he secures the catch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    To me DJ is like a 1B. He needs to work on catching the balls he’s suppose to, being a little more physical and not run backwards so much. Would I pay him #1 receiver money, ehhh that’s a tough one.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Johnson should have been in the Pro Bowl this year, anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :this!:100%
    The only thing I'll add is He's still Young,and Has time 2 improve on His game. Which I think He will. He seems like the type.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    This 100%. I think DJ is a borderline #1. In my opinion a true #1 is a top 10 receiver either puts up numbers year in and year out, or has elite traits that are undeniable and defenses need to account for. Someone you scheme to get the ball consistently. And the D has to scheme to take away, otherwise he'll wreck your day. DJ Made big strides this year but still has more drops than I'd like (and they seem to come at critical times too - which in my opinion part of being a true #1 is being clutch).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gibson43

Dec 19, 2011
    He is still young...but a #1 receiver shouldn't have hands issues. Learning to run NFL routes when young, sure. Learning how to beat press off the line when young, sure. But I can't think of a true #1 WR who had consistent drop issues. And I say it's a consistent issue because it was bad last year...and still comes up time to time now at critical moments.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    While I will side with what You are saying.:thumbs_up: Remember Jerry Rice had drop issues, and at critical times early in His career. He also had drop issues at first when they went from J. Montana - S. Young at first.
    He turned out OK.
    All I'm saying is I believe He is the type 2 keep working at it.

12. gibson43

Dec 19, 2011

Agree...guy is a worker. I didn't know about Rice's drop issues. I can understand the Montana to Young issue...righty to a lefty is odd. Considering you typically catch balls all your life from a right hander.

The one other thing I'd add...he's got a pretty good QB now with pretty good ball placement. Can't say the same for anyone coming in as QB1 next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    If you are playing the Steelers and they can’t rush for more than 60 yards most of the season. You will end up doubling someone. Dionte gets doubled because there is no pint in doubling claypool if he catches it he falls down. Soooo is he being doubled because he commands it?

14. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    58.82 yards per game is impressive? When we are down and throwing a ton in the second half of games?

15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The REAL number is 72.6 ypg. #10 in the NFL. WYFP?

And, to be honest, he really pi--ed me off on that final drive. Gets taken out of bounds after a great play, and almost gets an unsportsmanlike because he got pushed while OOB. If a couple of coaches and Heyword hadn't grabbed him, he might have cost us 15 yds at the most crucial moment in the game.

16. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    You said 1,000 yards was impressive. I was showing you what 1,000/17 games is. I am sure your next comment will be “I never said that”. Well scroll up then

17. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    "I" never said 1000 yards was impressive. Scroll up then.
    What "I" said was #10 in the NFL IS impressive, especially with a dink and dunk offense. So, again, WYFP?

18. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Diggs every week faces the number 1 corner and Teams come up with cheese specifically for him tot are him away. They aren't doing that for diontae. I don't think this offseason Teams said ok when we play pittsburgh number 1 priority is stopping diontae Johnson.

19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Over who?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He's really good. #1? Depends on your definition fo ehay that is. If you mean a guy facing the best corner every week and still getting his numbers than no He's not there yet but he may get there. Ab wasn't a number 1 as a rookie

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Claypool is the 11th most receiver that sees double coverage. Keep grasping at straws. Perhaps we just have better receivers than you give them credit for.

Yes, it is. Ben throws an adot of 6 yards. I said that in the post above.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s facing double coverage 6th most in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    DJ is still improving and can reach the level of Stefon Diggs in time, he is probably not far off that right now in fact. DJ is not perfect but he is a #1 in my eyes and could really break out in a better offence. The term #1 is subjective I guess, and everyone will have their own ideas on what the baseline is.

People saying he is not a #1 because he is not as good as AB, Adams etc, those guys are among the best receivers ever. Not a fair comparison

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Until we get an OC with some imagination, and a QB who can make all of the throws, I don't think we will see Johnson and Claypool at their best. Personally, I think they could both be special.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hope it's not a long wait.

• Agree Agree x 3