1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the biggest upset the Steelers pulled off and would beating KC this week be it?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Jan 13, 2022.

1. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    What was the biggest upset the Steelers pulled off and would beating Kansas City on Sunday be the biggest?

In modern times, the Steelers have always been competitive to great so the upsets may not be huge but upsets nonetheless. The upsets that come to my mind in the post-season are in chronological order:

1974 AFC Championship Game at Oakland
    1984 Divisional playoffs at Denver
    2005 Divisional playoffs at Indianapolis
    2005 AFC Championship Game at Denver

I would think we were underdogs in all those games. Any others that come to mind?

What was the biggest upset the Steelers pulled off and would beating Kansas City be the biggest?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This would be the Steelers greatest upset win of all time. No doubt about it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Beating KC on Sunday would be by far the biggest upset win in Steelers history.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Beating the Undefeated Pats and then the undefeated Eagles back to back in 2004 was pretty sweet.

https://www.steelers.com/video/1st-10-beating-undefeated-back-to-back-5408895

Beating KC this week would be great but I don't think it would be the biggest upset. They are beatable but it will take a very good game plan to do so. Taking Kelce and Hill out of the mix has to be their biggest priority and then stopping the run also.

The Steelers have to come out with an attitude that nobody is taking them seriously and also play that way for 60 minutes.

I've already heard a Bengals fan say they would rather be playing the Steelers this week than Oakland.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    O5 divisional against the Colts.... Many thought we shouldn't have beat Cincinnati..May not have had Carson played...We hadn't done much in the playoffs in Pryor years ,and Manning had just beat us pretty bad earlier in the year...Big underdogs against Hof quarterback and coach

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think the Steelers were 10 underdogs...maybe more in the Indy playoff game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Those are some pretty good upsets listed- I will say that by the time the Steelers faced Denver in the 2005 AFC Championship game, we were pretty confident (at least I was) that we could win. The Broncos were still favored, but after 4 wins to close the regular season, and then road wins over Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning, the prospect of facing Jake Plummer and friends was less daunting.

Some others that come to mind from the regular season-

1984- defeating the 49ers on the road for their only loss of the season, and then defeating the defending Super Bowl champion Raiders on the road in a must win game to end the regular season.
    1986- a 1-6 Steelers team blowing out the playoff bound Bengals 30-9.
    1988- there were 2 big upsets- a 5-11 team and arguably the worst Steelers team in the last 50 years, defeated the two time defending AFC champions Broncos 39-21 and then upset the playoff bound Oilers 37-34 in overtime on the road.

1989- defeating the Oilers on the road in the wild card game, after having been beaten twice by them in the regular season. I think the Steelers went 1-5 in the division that year, and still made the playoffs.

• Like Like x 3
  9. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I would say this would be the biggest upset over the Indianapolis Colts in 2005 because its a bigger point spread if I'm not mistaken, and the Steelers have shown in one matchup already this season that the second time around after being blown out the first time didn't go as well either (Bengals). Yes i know the Bengals only won by 14 in the first matchup, but was it even that close?? I never got the impression at any time that the Steelers were going to win that game...much less the second one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Given how the first game against KC went, and our offensive (both pronunciations) performances, beating KC would be the biggest upset.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    2005 Colts by a long shot. That Colts team was the best of the decade...better than the '07 Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed, but I think the point spread was only 10, and this game is 11.5 right now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden were the unsung heroes of that game. Tasked with covering Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. Epic. Rookie Heath Miller was badass, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    '05 Colts game was the biggest upset we pulled in my opinion. A win this week would rank right underneath that one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think I read somewhere that the spread was 8.5 in the Colts game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. I believe that.:thumbs_up:
    I maybe thinking of what it opened at, or more then likely I'm just not remembering well. LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The '05 Steelers were so damn good. Resilient team that never backed down or got spooked by adversity. Hines Ward and Antwan Randle El at WR. Joey Porter and Clark Haggans at OLB. Chris Hope with HOF Polamalu at safety. Big Snack at NT!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    @steelcitystar·
    39m

Biggest post-season upset wins in Steelers history
    +8.5 - 2005 DIV 21-18 win at Indianapolis Colts
    +7.0 - 1989 WC 26-23 OT win at Houston Oilers
    +5.5 - 1974 AFCC 24-13 win at Oakland Raiders
    +4.5 - 1984 DIV 24-17 win at Denver Broncos

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The odds makers may have thought it was an upset, but I never did.

They upset Houston in the '89 playoffs, but I have no clue what the betting line was.

If they beat KC Sunday, it will be their biggest upset victory in my lifetime. I honestly think they will be very competitive. I hope it's enough.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but I can remember people on the official Steelers board at that time saying there was no chance possible going into Colts, and winning. Especially after they spanked us earlier that year.

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    At the time, I was happy the Steelers beat the Bengals to move on. I didn't expect much against Colts... thought it would be a track meet with Harrison and Wayne going off with Manning throwing to them. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Yea if I remember we were at least 10 point underdogs

• Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Earlier today I thought it was 13 plus. Of course the betting money moves it, but it is a pretty accurate line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    2005 at Indianapolis had almost this identical insurmountable feel. The Colts hammered us earlier in the regular season. A young Ben said he was just excited to watch Manning.

I also read Troy once say before a game a season or two later that if they beat whatever team it was in some game that they would be “special” like the defense that beat the 05 Colts.

So, that’s the difference; a young Ben vs. this version and can this defense be “special”.

• Like Like x 1
  25. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, I didn’t mean to write a post that is not as good as this article I just read that shares a similar tone.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...teelers-teams-super-bowl-xl-chuck-noll-cowher

• Like Like x 1