1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Punter

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by StrongasSteel, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Amazing how all of a sudden weather is an excuse for poor performance. Where was this in the Detroit game with MR having to throw 50 times in the cold and wet? It was all his fault and weather never came up with the haters. Just wondering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    my point is that he got the start over Waitman, and you cant bench him after the Raven's game. Weather is not an excuse. Its a fact. It was terrible. The rain and wind of course factored in to length of punts.

The MR comparison is different. Qb play is affected by the weather but a lot less so than for a punter.

For a punter a 39 yrd avg indoors is garbage but in a windy rainstorm a 39 yrd avg. is not bad.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  3. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    when you start stacking bad performances it becomes a pattern. fans notice patterns. eventually they become inexcusable even if there is an excuse.you lose the benefit of doubt Mason Rudolf has played poorly even when it wasnt cold and wet just as harvin has had a lot of bad punts when the weather shouldn't have been a factor. the only way to quiet down the haters is to do your job consistently better.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Legit point...and if we really want to be technical about it's the only thing that matters if the avg yard stat is true....otherwise if it doesnt matter to Boswell picking Harvin would be an egregious act in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well both can actually cost you points. If you shank a punt from deep in your own territory or in your own endzone that's at least a field goal and maybe a TD. I think a punter that has a bad case of the shanks like Harvin does is detrimental to your team. Bos didn't seem to have any issues with Waitman holding.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Tomlin said "we'll see what this week holds" which means its undecided. I was thinking they would not bench Harvin but now hearing that Waitman has a chance to play. He cld very well have a good week in practice. He seems to be pretty good holding for field goals. There is a chance Waitman is our punter next week. we'll see. Who ever is more consistent this week in practice will play

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Nope. If Tomlin based his personnel decisions strictly on performance Waitman would be starting. There are other factors we don't know as to why Tomlin is making a personal decision rather than just award playing time based on merit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Little too much being made of this. Punting is way down on my list of concerns tomorrow.

And has been pointed out, Harvin and Waitman have the same average.

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Not sure what it says abt a guy who has punted since game 1, having the same average of a guy who has punted 2 games for us.....:hmm:

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Says its easier for the guy with 2 games to maintain that average than the guy with much more punts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Either that or the guy with more punts hasnt improved through out the year, or has regressed through out

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I certainly want Waitman or another punter in camp to challenge/push Harvin. But he also has been Bozs primary holder all year. Do not discount that in a decision on who they pick to dress Sunday.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't just one bad game. Harvin went from being erratic most of the season to just plain bad late in the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Any questions on why Harvin started now?

For the 1st half he was the only bright spot when the Steelers had the ball.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If the Steelers’ key to victory is depending on the punter to flip the field then maybe it’s time to question the offense

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Well I think Tomlon made the right call on Harvin. He was clutch when it matters the most.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Harvin is like Edmunds or Dupree. He’ll never do enough to get out of the fans doghouse

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Definitely yesterday, but consistency is an issue

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    100%.

However, if he can punt 7 times like that in a road playoff game then I have a bit more confidence in his potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1