1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The drafting of Terrell Edmunds vs Darius Leonard debate

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    1. Edmunds improved from terrible to below average. He is still a bust. He makes huge errors in coverage. He also freezes on occasion when a runner breaks into the open field. That's what he did on the long touchdown run in Baltimore. He made a big play Sunday, but those have been incredibly rare in his career.

2. That they don't like to make that sort of pick doesn't mean they are correct in not making that decision. They blew it. It was clear that day that they blew the pick and everything that has happened since has only made that mistake more clear.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He’s not below average this year, he’s pretty solid. If cheap we should re sign

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Don't tell that to @Formerscribe, I tried to tell him they wouldn't draft a slow ILB in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah, he looks really slow out there playing like an All-Pro for the Colts. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it was a stupid argument when you made it before and it is just as stupid now. Just because you think their philosophy would not allow them to take a guy like Leonard in the first round doesn't mean they are right to pass on him. Clearly, they were not right, especially given that the guy they did take is a bust.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is slow to react at the snap, shaky in coverage, and often struggles to make a play on the ball those times he is in position when a pass arrives. The one time I remember him breaking up a pass Sunday he did what he always does. He threw his hands up while facing the receiver, never turning to look at the ball. He is lucky that the doesn't get called for pass interference every time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s 4th in passer rating allowed, ahead of Derwin James.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep he’s solid lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Those are two different ideas. No, they would not draft him in the first. Yes, they should have.

Timmons only ran a 4.66 but in Lebeau's defense the SS or nickel had the responsibility of covering the TE more often. The ILB were not as exposed in coverage.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    @Blast Furnace

What is going to be interesting, and comical even, is when.. not if, the Steelers re sign him. Why? As I stated before, unless the team has the opportunity to get my number one overall prospect, somehow, someway, there really is not another safety that can instantly come in and fill the void left by Terrell Edmunds. What is even more important to consider is his age; he will be 25 years old entering his fifth season compared to some of the other Rookie Safeties who will be roughly 22 to 23; Hamilton again being either the youngest or one of the youngest Safeties... at 21.

I do agree that Terrell did take some time getting to where he was at today. Now that he is here, should he be released, he would be quite an option to consider for some teams. That said though, how high is one team willing to pay is anyone's guess as teams in the league have shown over time that they will pay for however much they believe that player to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s the same phenomenon as with Dupree. Dupree was so villainized because of his slow start to his career that people were reluctant to admit he became a very good player. Edmunds ascent hasn’t been as stark as Duprees but he continues to build off a good campaign last season and show improvement. As long as Edmunds doesn’t seek a ridiculous contract, I agree he will likely be back next season and I expect him to be even better. He has all the physical tools to excel, it’s just a matter of learning and gaining experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah it's about value and Edmunds has been a good value the last couple seasons. The top end safeties are making over $10M now. Not worth. Too many places to upgrade elsewhere.

Who is your top safety in the draft?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    All I know is Edmunds is outta here. I would target Jordan Battle Alabama in this draft

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ha, some we likely don’t have a prayer to get, Kyle Hamilton. Who knows though, maybe his knee injury sees him drop or has a bad combine.

He’ll probably goes top 10 though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Who came up with that rating? All I see is teams finding his man open far too often.

Also, James is an explosive playmaker. Edmunds is not.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, they are two different arguments. Responding to my correct claim that they should have drafted him by insisting that they wouldn't is stupid, yet we keep seeing that same foolish argument in this discussion.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It was posted higher up in this thread, I see it credits Pro Football Reference at the bottom of it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Kyle Hamilton.... by a country mile. However, he is not just my highest rated safety. He is my highest rated player.

Worst case scenario he is Derwin James. Best case scenario he is Kenny Easley. That dude is flat out talented and athletic to boot. There really is not a single major flaw I can point out in his game.... not one.

Such type of players do not come around too often.

• Like Like x 2
  19. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    But aren't you defeating your own argument? You said a first round pick needs to stand out. They need to be a game changer. They need to do something other players cannot.

The ILB who run 4.5 or faster and play at a high level and can also hit are extremely rare like Patrick Willis, Bobby Wagner, Micah Parsons etc. are what the Steelers wanted in Ryan Shazier and Devin Bush.

20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Also, a dead horse getting a Viking funeral button.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    someone said he went from terrible to just bad. that is where I see him now. no way I'd pay him any real money and I'd just rather take our cash and capologist and draft - and move on. I spent more times screaming at Edmunds than any other defender, the past 4 years. Before that loser was the great S. Davis, from Maryland. One loser after another.

the Minkah trade was the best move Colbert made in the past 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We can’t afford all stars in every position. He’s solid and should be re signed if cheap, it’s pretty simple lol

23. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Somehow we would find a way to overcome a dead horse on a Viking funeral pyre button. I know I could.

This video clip also illustrates the importance of a cold weather QB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Edmunds isn't a bust, maybe disappointing as a first round pick, Burns and Jarvis were busts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Right? When you bust out you lose everything. This is like you brought $100 to poker night and left with $80 and had a good time. Billy went home with $600 because he went all in on a pair of 7s with Darius Leonard and hit a full house on the river. Good for Billy but he always does this and the last time he won was 2003. (Cato June)