1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fire Mike Tomlin thread.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 26, 2021.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I like you and enjoy reading your comments so don't take this the wrong way but I feel that the fans who think the Steelers are relevant every year are the entitled ones.

I don't watch the Steelers to see not-losing seasons or even Super Bowl wins. I watch to see tough and smart football. The Steelers have had some really tough players over the last decade but they aren't smart.

I don't care what the Steelers did in the 70s or 2000s. I don't feel that history automatically grants a kind of supremacy over other teams, and other teams have been proving that year after year.

You're right that games are entertaining every week. When the Steelers are up or down 10 at the half I always tell people that the score doesn't mean much because the Steelers find a way to claw back but also can't close out a game.

Tomlin is going to prove what kind of coach he is Sunday. This team is fired up for Ben and has the talent to get a win.

2. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah. This is why I don't want Tomlin to do the rebuild. I would like a new GM (Dan Morgan or Joe Schoen) to pick his HC and together the QB. Build the team.

I don't see it making sense to have Tomlin build the team when he has 1 playoff win in 11 seasons vs. a starting QB. It is time for a change and I hope ARII has the balls to make it (doubtful).

Just start over with a new GM and HC now. Pick a QB that fits their system.

Agree that the Dolphins firing a HC every 3 years doesn't work either. That is also what the Browns do. Like you said then the players don't fit the next scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    A new philosophy on player management wouldn't hurt this team, but they just can't bring themselves to do it. Colbert should not be doing the draft and he's leaving after, that's just stupid.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Aren't you the one telling us it is all about the quarterback? Which team has the better quarterback?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is one of the dumber arguments floating around on the board, that keeping or firing Tomlin is a matter of courage.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Clearly, the Steelers disagree with your take. They don't seem to think it is time for a new philosophy on player management. This assumes that they are going to promote from within to replace Colbert. That is the only thing that makes sense if they are keeping him through the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please, just stop with this ridiculous premise. You are implying that it proves something if Tomlin can't beat a team that has talent that is far superior to his own team and do it on the road. It is even more ridiculous given your other claim, that success is more about quarterbacks than coaches. I ask you again, which team has the better quarterback, the Chiefs or the Steelers?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    It is because ARII is protecting the family legacy. ESPN will explode with accusations of racism for firing a black head coach who has never had a losing season. It doesn't matter that the Steelers have 1 playoff win in the last 11 seasons against a team with a starting QB.

On the other hand, the Steelers have 1 playoff win in the last 11 seasons against a team with a starting QB. That will eventually hurt the family legacy as well. No one seems to care yet though. :rolleyes:

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a nice bit of fiction you came up with there. You don't think Tomlin should be kept, so you accuse Rooney of cowardice for not firing him.

Rooney is following the model that has made the Steelers one of the most consistently successful franchises in the NFL for nearly 50 years. The Rooney family wouldn't fire any coach coming off consecutive playoff appearances, white or black. Are you ignorant of this fact or just ignoring facts that don't fit your ridiculous premise?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I said that HOF QBs are responsible for the winning seasons their coaches pile up. I didn't say the team with the best QB wins every game- I just mocked that today.

Having an elite QB is a major advantage. A coach has to find other ways to win if they are at a QB deficit. Tomlin has had the QB advantage in the playoffs and has often found a way to lose. Garrard, Tebow etc. You know the drill.

In the regular season a franchise QB piles up the wins against bad teams. Ben is what against the Browns? 30-3? Bengals 22-8 or something? Almost every year Tomlin has been a coach he went 3-1 or better vs the Ohio teams. Go 6-6 outside of that and you're in the wild card.

The 49ers in the 90s got the 1st or 2nd seed thanks to the Falcons, Rams and Saints.

Patriots vs. Jets and Bills.

It's not the accomplishment people make it out to be.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They won the Super Bowl because they had a great defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    No question and one of these days that stubborn adherence is gonna bite them in the ass. But until it does, carry on with same old same old I guess.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s impossible to define a team that is literally in the playoff hunt nearly every year for the last 30 years as not being relevant.

Teams like Cleveland and the Jets fit that label.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Talk about being clueless, then why are the Steelers a +12.5 point underdog?

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m just waiting for this guy to drop a bunch of useless PFF stats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    First, Noll and Cowher never went 5 seasons in a row without a playoff win. If Tomlin doesn't win on Sunday that will be the first time since 1969 that a Steelers coach has gone 5 seasons without a playoff win. Last year was the first time the Browns beat the Steelers twice in the same year since 1988.

So we're in uncharted territory here. Noll went 9-7 twice and 7-9 in his last 3 seasons. It's not like he was bad just needed a change. Noll won 4 Super Bowls. He was fired after winning 2 playoff games his final 11 seasons.

How come the Steelers wouldn't fire Tomlin but they would fire Noll for the same playoff record?

I wonder if Noll would have had more success with a HOF QB instead of Stoudt, Malone, Brister etc.?

Why isn't it the same? Noll built a team from nothing and won 4 Super Bowls. He had the same post-season success as Tomlin in their final 11 seasons.

18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Keep waiting.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    When did they fire Noll?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    You're judging off of one season....u think that's smart??

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Because they're not smart. Steelers haven't had a deep passing attack since 2017 but never bothered to add a run game as Ben approached 40. Not very bright.

Say, how are the Titans the #1 seed when they had 1 Pro Bowler and the most players on the injured reserve this year?

22. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I just checked spotrac... and they didnt have the most on IR in current players or total players. The Giants and Ravens had the most of current players and the Browns and Jets had the most throughout the year. It pays to fact check sometimes. The Titans were #7 and #6 respectively.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’ve got time.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Titans also play in an easier division, news flash this roster isn't that good.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That dude is just making stuff up :rolleyes: