1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fire Mike Tomlin thread.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 26, 2021.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Ah I see you're one of those guys who rejects evidence that hurts their fee fees.

Who do you take? 2015 Manning or 2021 Ben? If you say Manning you're a damn liar. So how did Gary Kubiak win a Super Bowl that year?! Will Tomlin get his 2nd playoff win over a starting QB in the last 11 seasons or not? Andy Reid is the best matchup for him. Can he get it done?

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Von Miller and a great Broncos defense won the Super Bowl for Broncos.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    That would be like saying that the 2005 and 2008 defenses won the Super Bowl for the Steelers. It doesn't add up. This is a QB league and the best QB wins the Super Bowl every year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I reject your premise that the quarterback is the only viable factor in comparing those two teams. That is the problem with your arguments. You cherry-pick. You oversimplify when it suits you rather than trying to put together a viable argument. Just because Roethlisberger now is better than Manning in 2015 does not mean the current Steelers' roster is comparable to the 2015 Broncos. Also, you have to look at those teams relative to their opposition, not just each other.

Wake me when you are ready to have a valid discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Was that intentional green font or do you really have no idea what you are talking about? The best quarterback does not win every year. Other factors get in the way, such as offensive line. I bring up that example because a broken offensive line is the reason the Chiefs fell apart in the Super Bowl last year, not their quarterback, just to point to one example.

You brought up another yourself in the 2015 Broncos.

Seriously, your attempts to oversimplify everything lead to lazy, incomplete, and inaccurate analysis. It isn't just the quarterback. it isn't just the coach. It is a combination of those and many other factors. It's like the people who try to point to Brady or Belichick as the reason for the Patriots' dynasty. It was the combination of the the two of them that made that organization so damn difficult to beat for so long.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Sooooo a head coach (Flores) doesn’t want to waste time with a QB (Tua) that can’t get it done. You don’t want him because he makes all the right choices and wants to get the best players?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Sooooo Flores wanted Tua. That was his guy. He had a beaming smile when Tua was drafted. Two years later and he is done with him, and has a shouting match in the tunnel.

Soooo you like a HC who cannot evaluate QB talent and then blows up on everyone else for his own mistake?

On top of that by all accounts Tua is a high character leader who is 13-8 as a starter. Tua does not have the arm talent to be an elite QB... but he never did. He didn't have elite arm talent in college either.

Walter Football: Lack of elite arm strength

It wasn't a secret. Tua has been exactly what the Dolphins should have expected: a smart, high character player who has a quick release and knows where to go with the football.

Flores is going to be Jim Harbaugh- initial results followed by a blow up. If he can't get along with Tua he can't get along with anyone.

Watch.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Tua is also small and has an injury history

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Cardinals got it wrong with Rosen. They admitted their mistake and took Kyler Murray. Now their team is on the right track (at least at QB). Know the dolphins don’t have the right QB and don’t have a good coach. Hmmmmm

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Mods, can we officially close this official fire Mike Tomlin thread, since its been hijacked by Brian Flores posts and Mike Tomlin himself?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Rosen was the most obvious bust I've seen since Manziel. Rosen was better than I thought he would be.

It's a good comparison though because they were both "the most pro ready QB."

That's where my agreement ends.

Why is 3-13 Rosen with a 61 passer rating the same as 13-8 Tua with an 89 passer rating?

Flores was thrilled to take an injury prone QB with marginal arm talent in order to try and win right away. Tua was injured, won right away and has marginal arm talent... and Flores is mad?!

Flores is angry he got what he wanted. I have no sympathy for that. He didn't want Herbert. He wanted Tua. Now he wants an elite QB as if every team has one?!

And everyone is falling all over themselves to put 24-25 Flores (1 win more than Adam Gase had) in the HOF?!! Nope. Not me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    No. We are going to need it Sunday night. Should be stickied on order to contain valid Tomlin criticism from spilling into other threads.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My response as a teen to my dad after I drove up with music blaring and he said you are going to damage your hearing like that; “naaa”.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    even now, if I hear the opening riffs of "Baba O'Reilly" or "won't get fooled again" I have to crank them! Chemotherapy gave me tinnitus so, what the hell!

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, let's take a stab at that- 1st, lets take their top two running backs out of the game. 2nd, take out their top receiver. Finally, Take a baseball bat to Mahommes ribs. For the first game. And if we edge out a 1 touchdown win, you'll be complaining that it should have been more.
    Oh, and give us a defense that gives up 11 points a game.

17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Nope. Won't get any complaining out of me. I will be so excited if Tomlin wins his 2nd playoff game over a starting QB in 11 seasons that I will never complain about him again.

Can you imagine that? 2 playoff wins in 11 seasons?! Crazy. Forgot what it's like to be relevant.

18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You miss the point. One of the major reasons for a Super Bowl run is team health. The Steelers went into that game down AB, Bell, and Foster, and Ben had injured ribs. And still game within a Fitzgerald Touissant fumble of winning the game. But the Broncos went on to win the Super Bowl.
    But what the heck, other teams lose because of injuries, the Steelers lose because Tomlin isn't good enough to overcome injuries.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Lol I know right. I went to bed before it ended because I needed the sleep

• Like Like x 1
  20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Do you think the Tua pick was based less on overall ability and more of a marketing tool. He was a popular college player, enough upside to help win games, but he would sell tickets and put butts in the stands which Miami has had problems doing since Marino and Shula left. As with the Rosen comparison it wouldn't be the first time a team went against their own interests to sell tickets. I was reading some of the purging of talent was a point of contention as well even if it netted a ton of top 10 draft picks

• Like Like x 2
  21. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    That could be part of it. Tua absolutely lit up college. He threw 76 TD vs 9 INT over his last 2 seasons, and has high character.

No one really knows which QB will be better and I think Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes have set the bar so high for QBs. Teams are getting fixated on QBs who don't throw picks when most have to in order to make the big plays. So a QB like Tua does have the low risk but it turns out the big plays were due to having NFL receivers playing against college players.

In 2019 Tua had 4x 1st round NFL receivers! That is insane. Ruggs, Jeudy, Waddle and Devonta Smith. That inflated his big plays (also had a top OL)

Tua is an easy guy to like. I probably would have drafted him too. I think he still looks like an NFL starter if he can stay healthy just not a top 10 QB.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    :rolleyes:

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Think the word you are looking for is spoiled.

Steelers are always relevant. One of the greatest things about being a Steelers fan is every season they give you something to watch each week. I completely wrote them off this season and here they are, in the playoffs against all odds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm not down on the Steelers I'm down on Tomlin. There is more than enough talent on the Steelers to win this game if they play smart. Let's see if that happens.

25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    This goes back to the conversation about why the Browns or any other perennial troubled franchise struggles and that is there is no time given to turn a franchise around before the owners scrap it and start again. It had been 3 to 4 years and now it's as low as 2. So we see with Tua, he checked all the boxes you want but the coaching and organization has to fit. Same with the Browns, they draft Baker, sign a bunch of free agents like Hooper, they have Landry, OBJ, Nijoku, Hooper all the signs of a vertical passing attack but then bring I'm a coach very invested in running the football. Same kind of thing with the Vikings, Cousins is a step above a DLG QB but not that 4ty quarter comeback kind. Not a strong fit for what the Vikings were doing with Cook.

To bring this back to Tomlin, I think has been very fortunate that Kevin and Tomlin no what they want and that it has meshed so far with AR2's wants for his team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1