1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Punter

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by StrongasSteel, Jan 9, 2022.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea Harvin is a liability at this point and you absolutely cannot afford to have Harvin shanking punts in this game and giving KC a short field. You just can’t do it. Waitman is the better option and should be the punter. It’s terrible what Harvin is going through with his father but that should not factor in who Tomlin chooses to punt. This is a results and bottom line business and you gotta go with the guy that is better right now and that is Waitman.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You remember incorrectly. Harvin's longest punt yesterday was 49 yards. He averaged only 37.3 yards per punt. That isn't going to cut it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hey, you are right. My point was the weather was miserable and Harvin went toe to toe with one of the bast punters in the league and matched him basically stat for stat.

You can't beat that.
    upload_2022-1-11_22-9-38.png

The Steelers drafted Harvin because he won the Ray Guy award as the best punter in college football last year. Give him time with Boswell and he may become one of the best punters in the game.
    I am assuming Boswell has a couple of mind games up his sleeve after the 2018 season.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Harvin's college career punting average is under 45. He's pretty average. His one good year is an outlier from his other 3.

I'd like Harvin to compete for a job not be handed one he didn't earn. Waitman earned it. He has been the better man. It's that simple. Do what is best for the team.

I was patient with Harvin but he is getting worse. He is actually getting worse.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is a prerequisite for me for QB also, I always want a QB that grew up or played in cold weather,
    bad playing conditions. I will take them over someone with more talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Both of them have exactly the same 42.6 yard average. Start the one who Boswell is most comfortable with holding FG's. That's way more important than shanking a punt here or there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I don’t always look at just the average. The number of punts inside the 20 is just as important. If you have a guy punting from the 50 he isn’t trying to boot it 50 yards, he’s trying to get that ball to land around the 10…which would only be a 40 yard punt. Harvin’s inside the 20 numbers have not been bad this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, he could have beaten that. He could have not had a 33-yard stinker in a key situation. His average for that game was terrible. That the other guy shanked one doesn't change that Harvin sucked against Baltimore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Right now, I think Tomlin needs to go with the hot hand, and that hand belongs to Waitman..
    In camp and preseason, a heated competition needs to be initiated

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The weather was a nightmare in Baltimore for both punters.

I am assuming the same people that want Harvin gone, are the same people that tried to run Boswell out of town in 2018.

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My guess is, Tomlin went with Harvin for multiple reasons. For one, he wasn’t available due to the death of his father. So, Tomlin shows heart for that particular situation. This sends a message not just to Harvin, but to everyone in the locker room. Part of why most players want to play for Tomlin. Another reason may be, it’s the last game of the year and maybe he wanted to see how Harvin responded to adversity. As I recall, they won the game. Maybe, a few yards was less valuable than these reasons. So, to conclude, perhaps there was more that went into the decision than Tomlin just being stubborn.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nobody that I see it trying 2 run Harvin out of town.
    We just want the other punter 2 play, and they can battle it out for next season.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Something 2 think on.:hmm:
    Sounds good. All valid points, but I still want the other punter. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They are not going to keep 2 punters active on game day. They should go with Waitman. We shall see.

The main issue is that Green doesn't start. JC best be the center. Also Dotson hopefully is coming off the IR list. He has been practicing.

As much as I would like Spillane to start he is a liability in coverage. Hopefully the struggling Bush pulls his head out of his @ss and can cover Kelse. He sure isn't good against the run.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    To be fair, at least three of those 30+ yards punts were downed at or near the 20. Any longer and there’s a good chance that it rolls into the end zone

16. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    OK, but look at his overall season performance. He's literally the worst starting punter in terms of average and net punting average.

17. ZiviliSteelers

ZiviliSteelers Member

Oct 18, 2021
    Could some of the reason for Harvin playing and not Waitmann be holding for Boz? Boz missed a chip shot with Waitmann holding and Boz is the guy the Steelers would need in a close game.

18. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I dunno, let's say it's true that Waitman costs them a XP. Even then, Harvin shanks 2-3 punts a game which can lead to a minimum of 6-9 free points to the other team. Waitman booms them, so even if his holding results in 1 missed XP he's still 5-8 points better than Harvin.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Boswell was recovering from an injury.

Waitman already outperformed Jordan Berry in camp. Should have already been the punter.

Harvin should have been given the year off. Compete in camp. There's a reason 9/10 people see it that way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't just one bad game. Harvin has been erratic or worse all season.

Your comparison does not hold up. Boswell had been one of the best kickers in the NFL before the 2018 season. There was a track record of success that Harvin doesn't have.

• Agree Agree x 5
  21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Spillane when you expect the run. Bush when you expect the pass.

• Like Like x 1
  22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wait man, ✋ ... I'm the best punter

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. ZiviliSteelers

ZiviliSteelers Member

Oct 18, 2021
    Well, he could also cost them the game winning FG rather than an XP. I was only including another option as to why Harvin was punting and not Waitmann. I believe someone was asking why Harvin and not Waitmann. Holding for kicks is another job the punter does and Boz may be more comfortable with Harvin. I'm with you though, I'd take my chances on the hold and use Waitmann.

24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I think its going to be Harvin. You cant pull Harvin because of the last game against the Ravens. The weather was really poor and that will be factored in to why his avg. wasn't higher. He and Koch (Ravens punter) both had about the same avg. around 39 yrds

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Bad assumption.

• Agree Agree x 1