1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This would be the ideal time for Tomlin to retire

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I don't think he does it, but Tomlin ideally should retire after the playoffs.

Why?

1. Ben is retiring.
    2. Colbert is gone after the draft.
    3. Klemm already left.
    4. Canada is likely getting fired.
    5. Tomlin isn't winning another Super Bowl in his career.

With 1-4 happening the success/failure of the team will be solely on the Head Coach. There will be no excuses about Bad Ben or Colbert messing up the draft. Or the OC/DC/OL coach doing a poor job. The following 2-3 seasons will rest solely on the Head Coach, Mike Tomlin.

Unless Tomlin wants to end his career on a whimper i.e. his first ever losing seasons, maybe 2-3 of them. He should retire.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I agree. I think he wants more control and to run things but everything has gotten worse the more he's got involved; drafting, developing, etc. It's going to be bad when HoF GM and QB leave. His best attribute is motivating men. He could retire with amazing coaching stats/record. But I think he wants a chance to run the show. But from what I've seen with his influence in drafting, developing, and gameplans... It's not going to go well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I mostly agree with this post. This definitely feels like the perfect time for the Steelers and Tomlin to mutually go their separate ways. I personally don't think Tomlin really wants to rebuild the coaching staff, especially on offense. As for Tomlin himself, it's a perfect time to relax with his daughter before shipping her to college and get back into coaching in a few years.

As for your paras at the end, that's where I mostly disagree. I don't believe Tomlin's legacy will be tarnished due to staying. Everyone remembers Noll for his 4 Rings; everyone remembers Cowher for his 1 ring, and nobody brings up their many seasons that they've failed. The same will apply to Tomlin. People will remember his rings and the consecutive years without a losing season.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersMagic85

SteelersMagic85 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2021
    Who would be your choice to take over? It's really easy to hop on the "Fire Tomlin " train, the hard part is finding a replacement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Why do people like you say this dumbass question? Who was Cowher in 1990 and who was Tomlin in 2005? Steelers are great at finding their next guy to lead for the next 15ish seasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Leftwich because he would likely also bring Bowles to run the defense. Steelers improve on both sides of the ball at least in coaching.

Problem is finding a new QB.

7. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    I don't have to answer that question. I'm not saying Tomlin should be fired. I'm saying Tomlin should make his choice to retire. It only makes sense. There won't be a better opportunity or better timing than this offseason. He can ride off into the sunset as a HOF coach or he can continue and finish his career on a streak of 3 and 4 win seasons.

There's a wise saying: quit while you're ahead.

8. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Let's say Tomlin stays on for another 3-5 years, and in this era the Steelers are below 500, and miss the playoffs. This zaps his "never had a losing record" accomplishment and has him go out with a whimper, as a losing coach who was fired for poor performance.

Contrast with him leaving now, even if those lose to the Chiefs, he's remembered as never having a lost season, going out on top (relatively).

9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Right? First most bad teams are trying to find a HC that will put a young QB in the best position to develop. This is the same place the Steelers are at. Job 1 is finding and developing a QB.

Tomlin already says he doesn't want to do Job 1. He wants a veteran QB right now to try and win Super Bowls right now :)roflmao:). That's really how he thinks. So Tomlin wouldn't even choose himself to draft and develop a QB.

Leftwich had the 3rd highest scoring NFL offense with Jameis Winston. He can work with young players. He knows the position. And he was a gritty QB that players will respect.

Tomlin won't be renewed. I don't see how he can go this long without playoff success and be renewed. So the next HC is going to be inheriting whatever QB Tomlin takes. Watch it be Malik Willis because mobility is everything to Tomlin. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    I would invite Muchak back to be Head Coach. Get the OL back in shape and Najee really running.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I like how Leftwich is a big time head coaching hire.

He is gonna go down the same path as Charlie Weis, Bill O'Brien, Josh McDaniels.....

I was the coordinator for Tom Brady, and therefore he made me look really good and a lot better than I really am.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I don't think Mike is ready to give the NFL up. If the Steelers would have fired Tomlin I'd imagine his phone would ring off the hook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This question always come up when the subject of a coaching change appears. So, my response is 'who here knew the name Mike Tomlin when Cowher left'? Grimm and Whiz were the "hire from within" locks that most people assumed to take over. So, hell yes, it is really easy to jump on the train because there are many qualified candidates as MT was out there when he was hired that many didn't know about then. Asking a question like that shows foolishness because if you know anything about who the Rooney's have selected as their HC's over the past 50 years you would already know they won't get who you're trying to assume the Rooney's would bring aboard (15 yrs of HC experience, not in their 30's, and all the other recognition that MT has received). If you're trying to make someone pick a replacement that is as accomplished as Tomlin, which appears that you are, I can't describe how off base that sounds. So, just think what the Rooney's have done in the past and what 6 or so other NFL teams are doing right now, and if you can really concentrate on that, you'll see it very possible. I will venture to say that as of right now, and probably has been ongoing, the Rooney's already have candidates they are tracking to be possible replacements for when MT retires. If they don't, I'd be surprised and disappointed. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  14. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    You think Jameis Winston made Byron Leftwich look really good?!

The Bucs scored 458 points in 2019 with Jameis Winston at QB not Brady.

How did the Bucs put up more points with Winston in the one year that Leftwich coached him than Ben scored in any year of his 18 year career?!

Winston isn't even an NFL starter any more.

Edit: Bonus- if Winston was HC he would bring Todd Bowles to be DC. One of the best DC in the NFL. Arians is almost retired for real this time not the phony backstab kind. Bowles would have way better job security in Pittsburgh. Best in the NFL.

Still holding on to the 1 playoff win in the last 11 seasons over a starting QB? Think Tomlin/Canada/Butler is better than Leftwich/Bowles? I do not.

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    3 to 5 years down the road, that would be a great time to start this all over again about what MT should or should not do, his replacement, and so forth. NFL coaches, NCAA as well, can fail miserably and within a week be introduced as another teams new HC. Happens all the time. Does anyone think no one would approach Urban Meyer to be their HC when the dust settles? Or MT if left the Steelers with a couple of below .500 yrs? Meyer has been chased out of multiple cities and still got on with an NFL team. For the most part, coaches are remembered for the totality of their work, not just the few years at the end of their career. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin will be a HC somewhere else. Urban will never be in the NFL.

3 to 5 years down the road a new coach will be starting the rebuild that should begin right now.

Last season Leftwich as OC and Bowles as DC beat Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Patrick Mahomes in the same playoffs to win the Super Bowl... and people like you want to hang on with both hands to beating Alex Smith 5 years ago with 5 years of mediocrity on either side of what you perceive as a massive accomplishment. It is insane. Make a change. It should have been done this year.

18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    :facepalm:

19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You know what. We will all have time to hate on Mike Tomlin in the off-season.

As of now Mike Tomlin has the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs against all odds. That has earned him a hall pass as far as I am concerned.

Tomlin deserves all of our support. Things could have been better. But they also could have been a helluva lot worse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    if Tomlin retires will you?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am face palming because the OP suggests Tomlin should retire. That was my point. No idea why you are.

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Leftwhich was developing quite a reputation as a good OC even before Brady got to TB. All three of the other coaches had strong runs as HC. Weis' health played a factor in his short tenure at Notre Dame IIRC. O'Brien had some solid seasons at Houston, and Penn St. McDaniels beat the Steelers in a playoff game.

• Like Like x 1
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Because Winston had a ton of weapons around him, great WR's good TE's a decent line at the time.

That is why Brady went there, tons of talent. Way more than NE had, and that is why he left.

Has nothing to do with Leftwich.

But he gets a HC job and gets fired in 3-4 years.

Brady makes these coordinators all look better than they are, also the fact that some guys may be a good coordinator doesn't always make them a good head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    OP with another hey look at me thread :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelersMagic85

SteelersMagic85 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2021

• Like Like x 1