1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating a new offense to beat the Chiefs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jan 11, 2022.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What we’ve been doing all year isn’t going to work. Typical Steelers playoff football; two runs and a pass. Limit turnovers. Attempt to eat up clock and rely on the defense isn’t going to work.

Najee is our X factor.

We come out 4 wide with Najee next to Ben. Routes in the flats, one in the middle, and one up the seam. Ben takes two seconds and if he doesn’t like what he sees he hands or tosses the ball to Najee.

Why not 5 wide or have Najee run a route? Because it overlaps with other routes and easily guarded. This combines what Ben excelled with last year with short passes and turning him into a runner via Najee. Najee is one of the best at making the first tackler miss.

We’re going to have to backyard football/cheese our way to victory. Once he gives it to Najee a few times DBs are going to start looking in the backfield and open up the short routes for Ben.

We need to keep the clock running and limit the Chiefs possessions. Giving the ball to Najee for whatever he gets will keep it going vs a incomplete pass. So many advantages to this new offense.

We need touchdowns and not to settle for 3.

I think our depleted defense can get stops but if they come out with the same crappy offense we’ve seen all year and go 3 and out the whole first half. This game will be over at halftime.

Our last few playoff losses our defense has been gassed especially Heyward.

If we try to line up and play bully ball that’s not going to work with this o-line.

This is our only chance at victory.

- OCdot

2. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Ben has averaged 46 pass attempts per game in playoff games without Bell since XLV.

The only 2 runs and a pass was against Miami and KC in 2016-17. You know... the games the Steelers actually won on 170 yards rushing per game by Bell.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 4
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree ,but it not fit ...Ben no good at pre snap read with the run or pass option..This gives the D a heads op it may or may not be run so lets stick another nose in the box just in case..Nit try to rain on yor way of Attack just food for thought..

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    we can not run the ball at will without a big lead, and even then it still would not happen..lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah. Tomlin has been neglecting the run his entire tenure. The offense is incredibly one dimensional. The Chiefs know exactly what to expect. It will look just like the Ravens game offensively.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If Harris can run between the tackles like against Cleveland, it might keep the offense on track, we won’t have to reinvent anything.

7. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    His entire tenure??? Wth you talking about??

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Don't you know that Tomlin is and has always been a horrible coach? :rolleyes:

9. SteelersMagic85

SteelersMagic85 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2021
    Run, run, run the ball!! Control the clock and get a couple turnovers. If they can do those two things, the Steelers will be in a position to win the game in the 4th quarter.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Certainly the best strategy going in would be for the offense to find a way to move the chains and keep Mahomes and Co. on the sidelines, while putting up enough points to at least be within striking distance in the fourth. Assuming the OL continues its struggles with protection splash plays will continue to be in limited supply, though this may not be all bad: they need to establish longer drives that tilt time of possession, something they've struggled to do even with a better OL and younger Ben. With the ceiling capped on what they can do downfield, if they do find a groove it will be via the more methodical short/intermediate game and running attack.

Easier said than done, of course, as they've been trying to find a groove offensively all season. I don't see the general idea of four wide + Najee itself having a significant impact due to the same two-second limitation of time. The fastest guys in the league run a straight 40 yards in just over four seconds, without pads or a defender chipping them at the line. So two seconds still means four receivers + ~10 defenders sandwiched between the markers. Some targeted routes may help, including some that get Harris the ball in space (injury allowing), but those could just as easily be had with specific strategies within the framework that already exists. Say what you will about its effectiveness at times this year, abandoning the run from the outset, IMO, isn't the way to go.

In fact, if Tomlin were open to making a more dramatic shift to the formation, he could employ more two TE and/or fullback sets. I personally wanted to see them try more of these earlier in the season. Though reducing the receivers does compress the defense into the middle of the field (potentially reducing the gains of adding the FB), players like Freiermuth and Claypool give them multiple options out of the same two-WR/one-TE/one-FB look (something they seem to prefer); the former holding the ability to block or break off into a passing route, the latter able to be sent more vertical or on slant/crossing routes. But if they haven't explored it by now it's hard to see them trying it at this stage in the season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    SDOT.... we should bring back Harrison out of retirement to sub for Watt and Highsmith. This will beat the Chiefs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Read a book. Steelers have finished 24th or worse in rushing yards per attempt 8 times in Tomlin's 15 year regime beginning in 2009. Most of the time the Steelers are bottom of the barrel at running the ball.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/TomlMi0.htm

Steelers cannot run the ball so they don't and Tomlin is fine with it. It's the new NFL etc.

At first I thought it was Arians, and it is he's not much better, but it is also Tomlin.

14. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Neglecting the run and not being able to run are two different things. As a matter fact the first thing people worry about when the Steelers get a quality running back is will Tomlin run him into the ground? You do realize you have to consider your front five and their ability to run as opposed to pass block?? By the way 8 out of 15 years does not qualify as someone's entire tenure as clearly you struggle with math.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its all about how the offensive line plays. Can they contain the monster Chris Jones? And Frank Clark? You know that Ingram is going to be jacked up for this one. The trenches are the key.

Also an attacking defense keying on hopefully taking Kelse out of the game for the most part as well as Hill. And you have to have a constant eye on Maholmes running ability. Watt and Highsmith have to contain and bring the heat on every play as well as Heyward.

A tall task but that's why they play the game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    They are not. They are the same thing.

You OK today? Rough morning already. I'd love to hear how Tomlin is committed to an effective running game but just fails year after year.

In 2015 the Steelers were 8th in rushing yards per attempt but 24th in attempts. Even when the Steelers can run the ball they do not. Tomlin doesn't believe in it.

17. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I like that Hassanhauer will be the center in this game seeing that he didn’t play the 1st game. I think that will allow the Steelers with Najee to run the ball better and hopefully control the clock. They gotta do things differently in this game offensively to start this game if they are gonna have any chance. I think having TJ in this game at full strength will be big as well and will allow the defense in this game to be much better.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You're clearly one of the top five dumbest dudes on here and that's no joke. How do you have multiple pro bowl and first team running backs that have played on his roster and yet Tomlin neglect the run his entire tenure according to you? You mean they made pro bowls and first teams simply catching balls out of the backfield??

I dont even know if I need to address the fact that rush attempts define if a coach is neglecting the run not rush yards per attempt...but because you're that slow you cant even put 2 and 2 together.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We need more points and i don't care how in hades we get them. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    MT says he has something up his sleeve. you KNOW BEN marched right into Canada's office first thing MONDAY AM with some ideas.

"this will be our finest moment!" - think 2005, march into Indianapolis!!!

GO STEELERS!!

• Like Like x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

PLUS 88 is playing, he missed the first game. HAVE to keep Mahomey on the bench!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Opinions will vary and no one's is more valid that the other. So, SteelReal is right if we had a decent run game, and we ran into a couple of teams that shut our running game down. However, I agree with what you're saying as well in that when you have nearly the worse run game year after year, then I consider that part of the game taking a very low priority and it has shown that. IOW neglected. Everything that has transpired with the team regarding the offense was due to decisions made by management. This OL was built by KC/MT/ARII. I know we lost two good players, but had no one to fill in. Who is responsible for that? We've had injuries, but everyone does as well and its management's job to ensure we can have depth where it's needed. I know we were in cap hell due to COVID but everyone had the same cap. We kept kicking the can down the road because "window is closing on Ben" and decisions were made accordingly. Well, there was a lot of windows that must not have closed but maybe the final one is about to. I am not a NFL financial guru but that is my opinion of what I observed with losing players due to management priorities, (including a future QB), or more relevant, long-term neglect in our running game. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin has been 20th or lower 7 times in rush attempts 15 seasons.

The last 3 years the Steelers are 29th, 32nd and 29th in rushing yards and your takeaway is "OMG! U r so dumb the Steelers have a good running game!"

Najee Harris was 4th in rushing; the team was 29th.

Tomlin always wants a feature back so of course one player is going to have good stats. Do you even watch the games?!

24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If I'm Tomlin I just tell Ben do what you think works and feel free to throw this ball where ever you want this is your party.

Ben could find some success in the middle of the field, teams watch and know he won't throw there.

#88 needs to have a huge day and not be stopped. He needs to be like Travis Kelce is in this game.

Also #11 needs to be the player that he can be.

I have enough trust in #22 and #18 that they can play solid enough.

Our only hopes is to have the passing game set up the run, not the run to set up the pass.

Also pray for a pick 6, fumble return 6, punt return 6, kickoff return 6. Any of that could help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah, I agree with you. When QBs come into the league and when they are on their way out a running game will benefit them more than in their prime. The Steelers never planned accordingly. That's how we can tell the running game won't be part of the game plan on Sunday, and if it is the Steelers will go away from it if they don't have immediate success.