1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fire Mike Tomlin thread.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 26, 2021.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I "cherry pick" but you decide which seasons actually count as "losing seasons" (no rookie year, no last year, need to start 10 games, etc...).
    I just posted the facts. Cherry pick to your hearts content.

Warner had years of 0-6, 2-8, and 5-6. All After his first three seasons, when he won a Super Bowl and had a 35-8 record. His last two years he was 19-12. The seven years in between he was 13-32.

Technically, Ben has had two losing seasons, a 7-8 and an 0-2.

But you can't pick just 4 Hall of Famers and say that Hall of Famers have only 0 or 1 losing season. I gave you a long list that disproves it.

And, btw, this thread is about why Mike Tomlin should be fired. You think Warren Moon is Hall of Fame worthy because he had 11 consecutive non-losing seasons.
    Tomlin has 15.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Here in Baltimore, Baltimore media said Tomlin should be coach of the year running for holding the team together and not falling off the cliff.

• Like Like x 2
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Here in Pittsburgh, TSF Media thinks he should be traded to the Raiders for a half eaten Ramen.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nah, not metal. Good old rock and roll :hardrock:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This was better. 2019 ended with a 3 game collapse after the season had been resurrected. This year the team showed grit at the end. Let’s face it - other than Cam, there isn’t an NFL starting caliber player on either line, and our QB is held together with duct tape and heart.

I’m torn on Tomlin right now. I have a lot of the same complaints that others do, and I think many of those complaints are legit. I wanted him gone after the 2018 debacle, and after last year. Right now I’m not so sure. Frank Reich seemed like an ascending, quality coach, and look at the egg his team laid. I can’t answer the question “who do we replace him with” and have a warm and fuzzy feeling that things will improve. Maybe what I really want is for Tomlin to take a critical look in the mirror and address some of his flaws while remaining that guy who somehow keeps players from panicking when the chips are down.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "Bruh" is black? Not here in So Cal. "Bruh, brah or bro are surfspeak here.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Tomlin is a good regular season coach and it’s hard to argue removing him after the job this season but he’s not getting it done in the playoffs and yes, replacing him could land you with someone worse but I trust the Rooneys track record to find another quality coach that can perhaps do better in the postseason.

Now if he gets the team past KC, I’ll back off completely on replacing him even know a lot of my desire to get a new coach has to do with just wanting a new flavored cereal. Get a new voice in that locker room.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    :facepalm:

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He also averaged a pathetic 6.3 yards per attempt.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now scroll back up and read what I wrote previously. I called for him to be fired in 2018. That doesn't mean he isn't a very good coach, but sometimes a coach's message goes stale and the team needs a change. I also accept the reality that after 2019 and this season, he's not going anywhere. He didn't have talent that was above average for either of those seasons.

By trying to make the game against a vastly superior opponent the deciding factor, you are presenting an argument that is absolute and complete bull****.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, he’s done better in the post season as an underdog on the road in recent years. I’m thinking back to when we almost beat Denver when they win the SB. We were without AB, Bell and Deangelo Williams, and Ben was nursing a Burfict induced shoulder injury. If not for Fitzgerald Toussaint, we quite possibly win that game. We sure as hell haven’t handled being home as a division champ and favorite. I have a feeling that we’re going to give KC a stressful game.

• Like Like x 2
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Fans want to bash Tomlin for his coaching tree, look at all these failures from the Belichick tree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is the kind of statement that its hard to have a solid discussion about because the statement doesn't take into account why it is his best coaching job. If you look at two years ago and Ben gets hurt and is out for the season, that isn't something you can plan for, its sort of a end of the world type thing that no coach really plans for. Now Tomlin did an adequate job getting the team to where they were but still didn't address the things that made it a bad time like not having a backup QB ready to go with an offense that suits him. Last year Steelers were cruising along 11 wins and then fell off a cliff, they knew that Covid was going to tank the salary cap and things were going to get ugly with the youth movement. Then this year, yep great job getting the team to where they needed to be to have a shot but again a lot of these problems are of their own making and maybe he doesn't need such a great coaching job if they addressed the elephant in the room before the season started.

15. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Brian Flores please. Someone is going to be glad they gave him a real shot

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He might be a decent coach, but he probably needs to get along better with people in his organization, that was the criticism of him with Miami.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I believe he would do better than Tomlin. We wouldn’t be last in the NFL against the run.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Whose fault is it that our opponent is vastly superior? Peyton Manning was worse than Ben is now when he won a Super Bowl with the Broncos (beating the Steelers with prime Ben in the process). Peyton threw 9 TD and 17 INT that year!!! Ben was averaging 330 ypg.

Tomlin has built a team that is finesse oriented and requires star power just to function. The margin of error is so razor thin that every time a Steelers player makes a small mistake, that good teams can afford to make, that player gets vilified.

Anyways, you're saying it's not fair that I ask Tomlin to do what Kubiak did? It's not fair? Gary... Kubiak... :huh:

19. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin has not produced meaningful results in a decade and needs to go but Flores isn't the answer. I think it's probably true that Flores cannot get along with others, and when you think about how closely the Steelers GM and HC work together it wouldn't be a great fit.

Let's remember that Flores has a losing record (basically a .500 coach) and has never won a playoff game. He was never a coordinator. He jumped from LB coach to HC. He has 3 seasons as a HC but apparently could not work with the GM and was obstinate regarding his take on the QB situation. Apparently Flores wanted Tua gone from what I can tell. To me Tua seems like a really good person and competitor and it's hard to imagine a coach being so angry with him he would lose his job. :shrug:

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wore plugs in My ears since My late teens. Specifically for that. By word of My Grandfather. :thumbs_up:
    Eyesight is going, but ears are still great. LoL :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    2020. Parts of this season.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Perfect answer. About How I feel. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Is 10 yards not a first down???.
    So what. I can find a stat by every Qb .....every year that is the bottom, or that can make them look bad.

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Mike Tomlin slept through the Raiders/Chargers game. I say so the hell what but it's a headline on the NFL page.

I could see if he stayed up for it. Honey I'm going to KC next week.......wait a minute maybe we can go to your mothers after all.........hold on.... it's good.....nope heading to KC you go to your moms.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Ah, I see. You are one of those guys. Everything bad is Tomlin's fault and everything good is the work of someone else.

I'm saying your premise is rejected as invalid. Do better.

• Disagree Disagree x 1