1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Watt has locked up NFL DPOY, right?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    There's no possible way he gets Donald'd again, right?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    One would hope. It should be unanimous, but there will be some idjets out there voting for the cb from Dallas. Outside of him, no other player deserves a first place vote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I'll go even further. If any voter doesn't have TJ either first or second on their ballot, their credentials should be pulled.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    It should be unanimous. Diggs got a lot of picks but he also allowed a ton of yards- think Marcus Peters who is on his 3rd team in 6 seasons.

"In fact, Diggs ranks 45th among cornerbacks in PFF coverage grade this season despite the gaudy turnover figures."

PFF is not a credible arbiter of player rankings, but I don't think the player they think is 45th best is a generational talent who should be in the conversation with Deion Sanders, and Rod and Charles Woodson as DPOY corners. There have only been 5 corners from 1980 to win that award.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I agree with you, but there are people that will not vote for TJ because he is a Steeler. And they'll need someone to vote for, and this way they can point and say "He had 11 interceptions."
    And since you have access to PFF, where is Watt rated? I can't even find him under edge rushers or linebackers without full access.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Micah Parsons is being given the second best odds to win DPOY and Watt had 9.5 more sacks, 2 more FF, 3 more FR, 4 more PD.

Parsons had a great rookie season. DROY for sure. Good chance he wins DPOY another year but not this one.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    TJ has to get it. If he doesn't I give up. He really should of gotten it last year.

I think we will see Parsons win that award in the future. What he did as Rookie just unreal.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s no lock. Hell, PFF didn’t even grade him as 1st team all pro at edge. They gave those 2 spots to Garrett and Crosby. Just additional evidence that PFF’s biased grading has limited value.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Former NFL LB Jonathan Vilma said he would give it to Garrett :facepalm:, I watched the Browns play the Raiders, Packers, and Steelers, Garrett was invisible in all of those games.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, I don't get it. You pull off 22.5 sacks, have better pressure numbers, defend the pass with PD numbers in CB territory, have way for TFL and singlehandedly take over games. Nah, I think this defensive lineman edge rusher is better for reasons...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Why does anyone take them seriously?

All they are is evidence that you can twist fabricated formulas any way you want to suit your bias. It's not moneyball. It's not even "lies, damn lies, and statistics." It's statistical fiction.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why not ... get robbed again this year?! They've already robbed him of the single season sack record:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Tougher question is how the hell did we make the playoffs? LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I can forgive the butt fumbled snap one, kind of...

That one with the penalty called on Cam as he's lunging trying to get to the line and the first down was total BS! How else was he supposed to make contact with him coming through the gap?

16. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    PFF claim to be objective and base everything on watching every play etc but they try too hard to go against the traditional way of measuring performance to the point where some of their claims are just laughable.

Their grades are a good baseline for player performance but I certainly wouldn’t be taking anything they say as gospel. They were creaming themselves about the Browns and Ravens all offseason for their team building and analytical approach while slamming the Steelers for taking Najee Harris. We all know what happened once actual football had to be played.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    If there is any justice at all TJ wins DPOY GOING AWAY.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Preach Brother. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    There is a possibility of T.J. Watt not being the unanimous pick for certain. That said, I seriously doubt he is robbed of it again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers have officially asked the league to review the play. Probably nothing changes but worth a shot. Defintiey a sack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Today is when the league will conclude its investigation. Time to see if T.J. gets it.

• Like Like x 2
  22. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Total blasphemy of he doesn't. He drives the Steelers D

• Like Like x 1
  23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The NFL denied the Steelers appeal for TJ's extra sack against the Ravens.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Shenanigans!

25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    It's because of PFF's fascination with "pressures."

"Pressures" is a totally subjective stat. A sack or QB hit either did or did not happen.

Whether a QB "felt" pressure only the QB really knows or if the pressure affected the throw.

PFF says QBs are "pressured" on roughly 40% of their throws! 40%! If a defender looks at a QB it is a "pressure" I guess :shrug:

Not only that they have Matt Stafford and Josh Allen as 2 of the worst 6 QBs under pressure. If I'm making a top 5 list of QBs willing to stand in the pocket and take a hit they're both on it.

Edit: Also how does Garrett have more "pressures" from the blind side? Do QBs even know he is there?

• Agree Agree x 1