1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Fire Mike Tomlin thread.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So, that’s the mark of a good coach? How many did Chuck Noll win?

2. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Are you and kickertwenty_one related?? I never once said Tomlin was better than Belichek. I dont get it??

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    You made a direct comparison between the two stating that Tomlin has never had a losing season. When you make a direct comparison in the quintessentially competitive world of professional sports you are making a subjective judgment as to which of the players, coaches or teams being compared is superior.

On the other hand, you seem to be Mr. Participation Award harping on not losing in the regular season as the penultimate measure of greatness. Maybe you are just comparing two rival head coaches while ignoring the entire purpose of sports itself- to see who is better. I'll take your word for it.

I'm just edgy because the Steelers used to compete for Super Bowls but now our fanbase just complains that our head coach deserves an award for finishing 14th. I don't mind not competing for Super Bowls, but what I do mind is being told that going 8-8 or 1 and done is better than competing for Super Bowls and more of an accomplishment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Why I asked all the people predicting losing seasons how they’d feel if Tomlin got us into the playoffs. Knew this would happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s only had three 8 win seasons. Someone started that false narrative that never finishing below .500 is somehow only going 8-8.

Quite a few good seasons in there. Are you saying they weren’t in SB contention in those years?

I don’t know why it’s so difficult to acknowledge an impressive achievement while wanting more out of him in regards to playoff success.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    1. Tomlin himself has never deviated from winning Super Bowls as the measure of success. After Tomlin's last extension he repeated that the Steelers goal was to win a Super Bowl. At no point did he ever state that missing the playoffs or failing to win in the playoffs was a measure of success.

2. Never having a losing season is due to Ben. That is more any QB's accomplishment than any coach's. Steve Young and Joe Montana never had a losing season as a starter.

From 1981-1998 the 49ers never had a losing season. They won 20 playoff games and 4 Super Bowls over that span. Mariucci was Young's HC his final two seasons. They went 25-7.

The next season without Young he went 4-12. He didn't forget how to coach.

Belichick had a losing season his first year without Brady after 21 consecutive winning seasons.

Jim Caldwell went 24-8 with Peyton Manning and 2-14 without.

3. It is a participation award. Everyone is saying "Congrats for finishing 8-8 with Mason Rudolph!" when the Steelers were 8-5 in 2019 but lost their final 3 games to miss the playoffs.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your argument asserts that quarterback play is more important than coaching. It doesn't take anything away from Tomlin's accomplishments. In fact, it highlights them, as you give examples of other coaches having losing records when they lost their quarterback, but Tomlin's Steelers went 8-8 the year they had to go without Roethlisberger.

Tomlin is a very good coach, one of the better ones in the NFL. He's not Belichick, and there are a few more current guys I'd rather have, but not that many. I write this as someone who called for him to be fired in 2018. That doesn't mean he isn't still a very good coach. I just wonder if it is time to shake things up, and perhaps stop being so damn cheap with assistant coaches.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So, basically you just dont like Tomlin because you did an impressive gymnastic routine just to avoid saying never having a losing season in 15 years of coaching is impressive.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Titans reported IR twice as many times as the Steelers. They had 18 players on IR when we beat them compared to our 10.

3 Titans defensive starters played 14+ games vs. 8 for the Steelers. And I thought our defense was destroyed by injuries.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/2021_injuries.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2021_injuries.htm

11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    The 20 coaches who have playoff wins since Tomlin's last playoff win are almost all worse than him? Pretty sure a few would have traded rosters.

12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I think it is an impressive feat for a QB. The majority of HOF QBs have had 2 losing seasons or fewer.

13. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, I never said any of that but I'm tired of arguing with stupid so I'll just agree to disagree

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Number of losing seasons per HOF QB excluding their first and last season. (No point in beating up on a rookie or Brett Favre for having a losing season at 41).

Is the common thread that all HOF QBs have genius coaches? Peyton Manning got lucky that Tony Dungy, Jim Caldwell, John Fox and Gary Kubiak are all genius coaches?

Ben: 0
    Brady: 0
    Wilson: 1
    Favre: 1
    Young: 0
    Montana: 0
    Rodgers: 1
    Peyton: 1
    Marino: 1
    Elway: 1
    Patrick Mahomes: 0

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Carton of smokes and a ham sandwich

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Exactly....u get what you pay for.

17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Bruh, you couldn't even maintain discourse without debauching the Socratic Method. You lack basic reasoning skills so don't call us stupid.

You were asked if Tomlin would make the playoffs next year without his HOF QB. A definition was set that a successful NFL coach can win without a heavy QB advantage.

You responded by saying that Tomlin had already satisfied this condition by going 8-8 with Rudolph which is false. The condition to be successful was making the playoffs which Tomlin failed to do.

You evaded the question, falsified the premise, and are calling us stupid.

You moved the goalposts and created a new set of conditions which Belichick did not make but Tomlin did: not having a losing season. Then you claimed that this new set of conditions you created to specifically and favorably compare Mike Tomlin to Bill Belichick was in no way a statement that Mike Tomlin was a better coach than Bill Belichick.

Dumb.

18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Ryan Clark said last week he would trade Baker Mayfield for a half eaten pack of Ramen noodles.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    How many imaginary awards are going to be bestowed on Tomlin?! Damn. Just put a sash on him "Ms. 13th Runner Up 2022."

20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't think it's as much as denying what was accomplished, I mean it is what it is, but how it all came about. I think luck had more of a part in getting into the playoffs than did coaching. We won in Baltimore but didn't play that well in doing so with the Rats starting QB out, luckily. Jax winning, I have no words on how that happened, but it did. With the exception of one poster, who's name I will not mention because now he's a legend, not many here thought we would or deserve to get to the post season. But that's water under the bridge and we are where we wanted to be in September. Will this be a year of destiny, or another one and done? If we can get by KC, then I'll believe MT to be considered top 2 COTY candidate. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Didn't Chip Kelly who used to coach the Iggles get fired and his worst season was 10 wins? Not sure if my memory is clear on that. I think he was an idiot but he did win a lot of games IIRC. JMO>

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You start a sentence with “Bruh” and you call someone else stupid?

:facepalm:

23. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Bruh, you sound so old right now.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But smarter

I’ll take that

25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't think immediately dismissing everyone who uses African-American colloquialisms as an idiot makes you superior.