1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Start the game in Empty

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Jan 9, 2022.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I can't believe I am saying this, but go empty with Harris closest to the ball on one side and DJ closest on the other let Harris have the end arounds,quick screens,and inside traps like from the wing T.... Let DJ work quik outs ,slants,and drags this would force a no blitz mentality,at this point Chase can be 1 on 1 over the top and deep middle from either side, use Ray as the picker or blocker and to be the 4th. option on pure pass plays..Meaning sell the block then run to a spot and set down for a check down..

I see a real path for this to confuse Defenses and their Coaches ..We probably wont it doesn't mean that we should not...

2. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I like that formation, however, I want us to run proper screens with linemen out of this alignment. Defensive linemen never expect an OL-led screen out of empty sets. Edit: Like this:

@ 3:46

Other than that, I hate going empty. I always want there to be a potential running play that the defense has to keep their eyes on. Do not make things simple for them.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I want more formations with both Muth and Gentry on the field.

These 2 guys give Ben big targets he can hit in the middle of the field, and allow for a little chipping on the sides.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I agree, I hope they play like they got nothing to lose. Come out 5 wide and get Harris or DJ the ball in space. Then they can switch it up and come out running in 2nd half.

If they do the typical playoff Steelers football everybody expects… run twice then throw. Waste countless possessions and settle for FGs in the first half. This game is already over.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If this is such a copy cat league then how has no team ever tried to have to stud receiving TE’s like the Pats did with Gronk and Hernandez? That was such a winning thing with big fast and athletic receivers out there and nightmare for the defense after the D-line to contend with.

We seem to actually have the Athletes now to do it and Claypool is about as big as a skinny TE.

We need to exploit this one advantage on offense as it can be a real surprise and our only shot of putting them on their heels.

But Mahommes and co. are so hard to stun early and keep down. They can and will fight hard to the end and so skilled at putting up points.

Our pass rush has to get home as well or better and ballhawk just like the Ravens game.

Kinda reminds me of when we stunned Manning and the Colts in 05.

Maybe my fav game ever. That was such a slugfest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yup, the only way this works out for us or makes sense is if we throw some curves at them. There is no reason they can’t do what they did a few weeks ago all over again if we come out with the same identity-less brand of football.

Again, the 05 Colts game - Manning had just stomped us earlier in the year and everyone knew the “game managing” QB Ben Roethlisberger was just going to hand it off to Bettis and try to grind it out.

Well we came out slinging it and put them on their heels with some surprising scores and the D played lights out. The zebras stole that pick that Troy should have had and Porter was so pissed he came out with back to back sacks right away.

That final quarter was almost like nothing I’ve ever seen.

Only the Arizona Cardinals Super Bowl could maybe top it with improbable plays. The Bettis fumble and Ben’s tackle vs. Harrison interception? Ben and Holmes’ final drive vs. our defensive stand and their missed FG?

Amazing moments. Go STILLERS!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This x 1,000. I posted this yesterday. Steelers finally have a legit #1 and #2 TE. Gentry has played above the line this year and has better hands than Ebron. Gentry is making the terrible 2019 draft look better every game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like 2 TE sets with Muth and Gentry, but for that to have a big impact on the run game, both guys need to improve on their in-line run blocking at the end of the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    where will redman be? sorry i couldn't resist. :facepalm::smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    We really do not have an identity this year on offense though. Najee has been good, but our running game scares nobody. Our passing game does not scare anyone. We are not going to be deceiving any team by doing 1 vs the other. Whatever we do in the 4th qtr needs to be done to start the game. What has worked is hitting Najee out of the backfield in the middle of the field where he can make ppl miss rather than a swing pass to the sideline.

We need to attack the middle of the field to start the game...from my inept skills of watching the game it seems we have success when we do that vs screens and plays that go sideways.

11. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I formation fullback lead blocks for a full series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I will be happy if we see the I formation at least once every time we have a 1st and goal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    Totally agree with u. But I would rated the pass rush higher for a win on Sunday night. The pass rush have to be at elite level and they have to run the fun out of Mahomes. Otherwise he'll outscores us again

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    was thinking the EXACT same thing - I don't want to see a handoff till we have 3 passing first downs!! Get the LB's and S's out of the box, THEN hit them with Harris and other runs. Whatever we HAVE been doing in the first half - STOP IT!! unconventional is the only way we score 24 points....

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree, Canada runs a type of skipping record offensive scheme that fools no one. JMO>

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They haven’t attacked the MOF past 5-10 yards all season, its a barren wasteland. I don’t see that changing this week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm with you, but WHAT IF. You can see how the defense lines up against Pitt. They stack the box and are not that scared of getting beat over the top. The only throws I see Ben try are the deep balls on the outside. When they attack the middle of the field they seem to be more successful and I'd like to see this earlier in the game.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would love to see it! But they are so reluctant to that I wonder if it is something to do with Ben. I remember one pass to Claypool down the middle that would have been an easy score but was severely under thrown.

When Ben first came back from elbow surgery, some of the beat writers commented that his arm angle was different, perhaps that makes throwing over the middle more difficult for him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree! Love Muth and I think he's the TE of the present and foreseeable future. I think Gentry is really starting to develop into a reliable target as well. He's not the fastest guy but he's big and strong with good hands and doesn't mind contact. Anyone else notice that he was also open on the play Ben threw the TD pass to Claypool? He had gotten behind the defender and there was plenty of space for Ben to throw to, especially with Gentry's height and wing span.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Teams try. Good tight ends are snatched up quickly in FA. But the Pat's got Gronk at #42 after he missed his junior year with an injury, and Hernandez fell to the 4th round because of his killer attitude.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is cold.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That was my thought. Gentry has come along nicely. I think this would at least create mismatches over the middle and open up some other lanes.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Muth was out for the first KC game, so we do not know what changes his addition to the game plan will bring.

24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So suddenly, our idiot OC Matt Canada is going to turn into Einstein.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

So was Kelce and we still got killed. I'm more worried about stopping him alone than I am of us generating an effective offense.