1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How close were the Steelers to being eliminated last night?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 10, 2022.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I went to bed before kickoff of the Chargers and Raiders game cause I knew it would be too stressful to watch and I would probably be up all night.

Saw this morning that the Raiders won it with .02 seconds left in OT on a 48 yard FG. Thank goodness. Also heard that there was a timeout which helped them change their mind about winning the game according to Carr. They were actually content on tying the game according to a sports radio host locally.

So who stayed up and watched this craziness play out and what are your thoughts?
    Anybody else feel free to chime in as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    I watched it, It was some crazy azz sh*t!!!!

My buddy is a Chargers fan and I was cheering for them to win but not tie, I went to bed feeling great, him not so much.

What a day!

• Like Like x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Too close for comfort; for both Steelers Fans and the NFL.

The integrity of the game has been consistently called into question for years. After last night??.... those callings have gotten a bit more audible for certain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Read that thread. Folks were freaking the **** out. :guiness:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I stayed up and then got up at 4:15 this morning to go to work. It was a crazy game. Very close to being a tie.

6. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I sure wish I went to bed, for health reasons... It was surreal.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I stayed up. The Chargers coach called a time out that saved the Steelers season. I was happier when the Raiders kicked their field goal than I was when Boz hit his.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It was intense. Pi$$ed me off. L.A. converted about half a dozen 4th downs. One was 4th and goal from the 23! I think the Raiders had a 19-point lead at one point during the second half. It was a hell of a lot closer to ending in a tie than anyone could have anticipated.

They tweaked the OT rules for player safety. However, this situation put two head coaches in a no-win situation from an integrity standpoint if that game did indeed end in a tie. I know it is more wear and tear on players, but I'd like to see the NFL do what college football does. Or some variation to eliminate ties.

9. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 13
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Trolling. LoL.

11. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    He should be happy that Herbert is so clutch though. I have never seen a QB convert that many 4th and longs in one game.

Ben got a TD on 4th and long against Jax in the playoffs that was clutch.

12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The game itself was just unbelievable. Wow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I just went and read that thread all the way through. So glad I went to bed as I had a very busy and hard working day today at the plant. The day would have totally sucked had I stayed up that late.

Right before I went to bed last night, I explained to the wife that if the game ends in a tie the Steelers won't be in the playoffs and both of those teams will make the playoffs. She said why don't they just not try and make it 0-0? I told her if this game ends in a tie the TV will be in the front pond. She called me at work this morning and said the TV is still in the living room so that's good. LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I thought for sure that it would end in a tie. The Raiders we're ready to kneel down and take the tie but the Chargers coach called a time out. The Raiders decided to run one more play that was a 10 yard gain so they called time out with 2 seconds left and kicked the FG.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not lying

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Taking personal calls on company time?

JK

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Rex Ryan ripped Chargers coach Brandon Staley not only for calling the time-out but for not making the playoffs. He said with a QB like Justin Herbert it is impossible not to make the playoffs. He said Staley is at best a Division 2 head coach and will ruin Herbert's career if he isn't fired soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Well yeah, of coarse especially if the wife calls and it's acceptable to do so. I don't work for Adolph Hitler.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol. Do they allow conjugal visits there also?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Rex Ryan criticizing NFL coaches. Now that's a riot.:roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

No, that was my last job.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Last night reminded all of us that pro athletes are competitive to a faulty, which is in large part why they are able to play such a violent sport at the highest level. Both teams could have mailed it in and just accepted a tie and would have gone to the playoffs. No harm. Don’t even play your starters and remove the risk of injury for the playoff game. Instead 2 teams completely give it everything they had. it was 1000% effort for an entire game and an entire OT period down to literally the last second. As much as I wanted a blow out so I could go to sleep early I watched every second and was riveted. I take my hat off to the Raiders and Chargers.
    Next time you think a pro football player ‘doesn’t care’ or is just ‘playing for the paycheck’, remember last night’s game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  24. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I watched it all with my 15 year old son. It was pretty crazy. Seemed that the Raiders were going to keep the lead, and then the Chargers made a comeback and I still can't believe all of the 4th and 10 plays that they converted to keep their drive going to tie it up and go into overtime. It was nuts.

What we thought to be very unlikely ended up almost happening, and if not for that TO by the Chargers, looks like it would have actually happened. I don't even like thinking about the fact that if they didn't take the TO, the Steelers would very likely be out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Too close for motherfucking comfort.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1