1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild Card @ KC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by FosterMorris, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Do something totally unexpected. In 2005, we got whipped by the Colts in the regular season when we went with our bread and butter, the run game. Then in the playoffs, we came out slinging the ball and the Colts never knew what hit them. We cannot use the same game plan that we used on 12/26. If Canada wants to prove he belongs then this is the time

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Probably a big part but Troy played as long as Lebeau was there and TE started being more of a problem so I'm thinking it could be scheme.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin seems to always do the unexpected. His unpredictability is predictable from that standpoint. ;)

The Steelers don't have a strong run game. Tomlin doesn't believe in it. Tomlin believes in being one dimensional. Roethlisberger will throw 45+ times and Tomlin will try to win a shoot out with one of the best QB ever in his prime. Is there any doubt at all about that?

Outside of the 2 playoff games Bell was available since Super Bowl XLV Ben is averaging 46 pass attempts per game.

The only way that Ben doesn't hit at least 40 passes is if Tomlin has confidence in the OL to establish a running game with Najee. Doubtful.

I think Spagnuolo knows exactly what Tomlin will do and will try to dial up pressure with 4 rushers while dropping 7 defenders into short zones. The good news is the Chiefs pass rush has been average and they allow a ton of yards through the air (another reason Tomlin will air it out).

This game will be a shootout between Ben and Mahomes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Take a page out of the Giants 2007 playbook on how to beat an undefeated Patriots team. It starts with pressure from the d-line and edges, ball control and move the chains on offense, keeping the Chiefs offense off the field. Then create turnovers, some splash plays, and some Tyree luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelrules

May 12, 2013
    I’d say run it down their throat. Jet sweep, heavy set… whatever is needed. Control the game and keep their offense off the field

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I don't really have a clue especially over such a long time period with a lot of different variations in scheme and personnel but I would be curious as to the results of TE against zone vs. man. Seems to me the TE is used alot to attack the seams of the zone coverage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tomlin favors tampa 2 in secondary, Lebeau it was more zone and know your job

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah definitely they're going up the seams. Was it like that with Lebeau under Cowher? Maybe it was always a weakness but most teams lacked the personnel and the ones that had it didn't know the weakness. Hmm. Still unsure but I agree for sure they attacked the seams.

9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    So basically what I'm seeing is what you're seeing? Tomlin uses ILB to cover TE whereas with Lebeau it was the SS or nickel and the OLB covered the flat?

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    We do to them what the Jaguars and Broncos did to us.

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    This is from an article about the Tampa 2.

When executed properly, the Tampa 2 defense is difficult to beat, a reason for its longevity, having seen no fundamental changes since first introduced in 1996. Teams that have been successful against this defense have managed to run the ball up the middle past the defensive tackles, or throw passes in the seams between the outside linebackers and the cornerbacks (often the most effective receiver against a Tampa 2 defense is a tight end, since they often line up against this seam).

Seeing that I was like yep thats the current problem

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Foote and Farrior saw the whole field and didnt get sucked into looking into the backfield as the later guys like Timmons and Shazier did. Even when Timmons and Shazier did get zealous in watching the QB and RB they had the speed to overcome getting out of position. The guys currently on the roster all suffer from the same problems they guess, fall for motion and over pursue. This isn't just Bush, Spillane, and Schobert, Haden did it last week on that long run by Chubb. He wants to be the hero, comes off the edge hard at Chubb, cuts in front of Spillane and both guys miss giving him 15 yards before anyone is near him.

13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Isn't that coaching?

14. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks! And yeah this is referencing a 4-3 Tampa 2 where the OLB would be the 3-4's ILB.

15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    oh heck yeah it is in my book. I always thought it was just a flaw in Vince Williams game but as it keeps happening with everyone now, I have to lay the blame at Jerry O and Coach Butler

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They were able to get good pressure with a 4 man rush. I don’t think we can do that.

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Not unless some one can heal the sick and injuried by the laying on of hands and they get Tuitt and Alualu back on Sunday night

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Having Gentry and Friermuth on the field at the same time seemed to work well vs. the Ravens yesterday. The Chiefs would likely be vulnerable to this 2-TE set, too. I hope we see more of it on Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Probably so. This is where the Steelers miss Tuitt. But if Watt and Heyward can go beast mode, maybe Adams, Loudermilk, and Highsmith can add support.

20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Gentry has playing well all year. This Sunday... Gentrify the Chiefs! Gentrification!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I feel Mahomes will just run out the pocket though?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    True that's a big difference between Mahomes and Brady.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelrules

May 12, 2013
    Remember Watt had his worse game of the season against the Chiefs due to a rib injury. He appears to be healthy and it should be a different defense than what Mahomes faced on 12/26

• Like Like x 3
  24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Win turnover battle, maintain ball security

Answer all their scores, stay within one score or hold a lead

Success on first and second downs to avoid 3rd and long

• Like Like x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016