1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm quadrupling dahn what I've been saying since the summer. Stillas have too many holes to trade for an established guy and too awful of a line to bring in a rook. I focus on both lines with the plan to look at the 23 draft or FA to bring in that QB. In the meantime, I get Mason and Haskins killed in 22 because neither are truly the future. I'm not against the idea of a Jacoby Brisset as a stop-gap either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Agree with this except a rookie should be drafted at the earliest opportunity. Take the franchise QB however you can get him.

Agree this team isn't ideal for a veteran to win now or a rookie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Another guy I'm really anxious to see is how Slovis does with Pitt. Covid and injuries derailed him a bit.

And now the Steelers will get a really good look at this kid.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we draft howell or strong. maybe not ideal but i believe kevin colbert does it. :cool:

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've not seen enough of Strong, but Howell :puking 3:

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Strong for me. Strong may not be the ideal mover but his mobility is quite deceptive. Those medicals though will be critical for sure. Thankfully, the Senior Bowl does commence and, as per usual, the Steelers will likely be big observers this year.

Unlike previous years though... there will be a larger contingent of Steelers Brass on hand this time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    sam howell has had the polar opposite college experience as kenny pickett. until this year pickett didnt have talent around him , where as howell lost all of his talented supporting cast. over all howell has more god given talent than pickett. a better arm, and better feet. with all of picketts experience as a starter he may have the edge in football smarts.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    strong has the arm. we will have to protect him though. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Strong seems like a Rudolph clone to me. He will be fine enough, maybe a good back up. I'm not super high on him. The only 2 guys at QB in this draft that I think have the tools to become good NFL QB's are Pickett and Howell. The rest are missing too much for me to trust them. I could be wrong of course, but that's just how I see them this year.

Personally, I'd prefer us use this year to shore up the OL, get another CB, get an ILB, and maybe grab a WR. We can look at QB later. Send Rudolph out there with an improved OL, solid weapons and a shored up defense. We can compete for a playoff spot with that team and work on getting the QB of the future after we have the rest of the team in shape.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I disagree about waiting. Can isn't getting any younger. Alualu isn't. Waiting two years puts us up against contracts of these current players coming due. Nobody knew Ben would turn into a HOT qb, so you never know. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    man just reading this about ben's replacement and shuddered at the thought that this could very well be a yearly thread here.

if the one we continue to pick the wrong one.... :( back to the 80's/ 90's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    True, but we can't make the decision to draft a guy that isn't good enough just because we "can't wait any longer" and waste a few years trying to make someone work that wont get it done. We obviously had a belief that Ben could be that guy for us... If there is a guy we feel the same way about this year, then I am fine with us pulling the trigger and drafting that guy (whoever it is). But I don't think we necessarily have to draft one because we might lose a couple of good players to age. There's always that risk. We could force someone and suck for 2-3 years and rinse/repeat. Or we can wait a year and get it right? Idk. There's a lot of factors, but our Super Bowl window doesn't open or close due to Heyward's decline/retirement. We will always have other guys (who would've thought in Aaron Smith's retirement year we would draft someone that's as good and arguably better than he was?)

We have a LOT of young players that are excellent football players. We have Muth and Harris, Watt is still relatively young, as is Minkah. Highsmith is a solid player, Sutton is 26, Diontae Johnson still on his rookie deal... We need to build the holes in the roster (namely at the OL and ILB positions) and worry about getting the RIGHT QB. Whenever that is.

For what its worth, if we do take QB this year I hope its Howell. I think he will be the best of the bunch. Would also be fine with Pickett. Everyone else would be a hard pass for me (at least with our first pick).

13. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but I think so many people, and I can't figure it out why(including scouts,and GMs)....Look at all the wrong things when looking at Qbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    me personally i'm more interested in what the QB does wrong than right. what separates good qb's from bad ones is between their ears not their bodies. any physical gifts are just a bonus. there arent any hall of fame qb's that ran a 4.4 forty. give me the guy that is smart enough to know when to throw the ball away than the guy who thinks they are athletic enough to avoid the pass rush every play and runs IN TO the sacks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you could also wait two or three years and never get it right. trying to pinpoint one qb for your team a year or two from now is a huge risk that most teams wouldn't wait on. the odds of getting that one guy are steep. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021

• Like Like x 1
  20. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021

• Like Like x 1
  21. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021

• Like Like x 1
  22. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021

• Like Like x 1
  23. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021

• Like Like x 1
  24. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    here is a 2023 prospect to watch out for.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hey....Thanks for all these. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1