1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Punter

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by StrongasSteel, Jan 9, 2022.

1. StrongasSteel

StrongasSteel Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Strange subject for my first post (I read stuff here everyday!)....but I really think we should start Waitman in KC. Harvin's 30-something yard punt from our endzone gift-wrapped a score for Baltimore. The announcers pointed out that Baltimore was taking advantage of field position. For a team with issues, we can't afford to gift-wrap anything for anyone.

And while we're at it, fire Danny Smith and his disgusting mouth full of gum.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I mentioned about my worries about Harvin punting in cold weather earlier in the season. He has punted his entire HS and college career in the deep South and never had to punt in cold weather. As the season went on and the weather turned colder he punted worse and worse.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Good first post. If you start up with the redundant Tomlin sucks posts I’ll have to reconsider.
    But yeah I’d play Waitman next week. Although he did play against KC a couple weeks ago and it didn’t make much of a difference.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can Harvin play another position? ... lol

5. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Wait man should be in and Harvin out. Which means they’ll play Harvin pi$$ing me off to no end.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would play Waitman.

I actually like Danny Smith as a coach though. I think he is pretty good. Before he came around our kick and punt coverage was pretty bad. It has sort of cleaned up since he has been here. He must not be good and coaching up punting technique though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bill Cowher was a special teams coach. I doubt he was teaching the punter anything he didn’t already know.

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    If only it were possible to coach using your jaw muscles…

I will say, they’ve cleaned up the block-in-the-back stuff as the season wore on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a good point. Whatever the reason, Harvin is a liability right now. Waitman is a competent NFL punter, therefore he should be the one punting for the Steelers in Kansas City Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Waitman is better than Harvin at punting. That's all that matters really. It's not relevant that the Steelers spent a draft pick on Harvin, or that Harvin's dad passed away recently.

If the goal is to maximize our chances of a win against a red hot Chiefs team we must play our best players. And Waitman is the best punter we have.

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    QB

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We’ll see if Tomlin remains stubborn or learns from past mistakes but most likely he will trot out Harvin and Bush next week.

Bush you probably don’t have a choice but Waitman should definitely get the nod.

We all know Dotson should have played last years playoff game but of course that didn’t happen.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is what happens when you get rid of a punter that is better than what you draft just to save a little money. All the hype about Harvin "flipping the field" was more false gossip to wipe over the mistake of using a draft pick for a punter. Water under the bridge at this point and I think you're right about undrafted Waitman being the better choice. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Tomlin will use Harvin. Maybe if he shanks a few he'll change his mind.

I think the year we handed first losses to Patriots and Eagles we never had to punt in the Eagle game so we'll just do that. Problem solved.;+)

• Like Like x 3
  15. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Probably several up to and including DE. That's why they drafted a behemoth of a punter- if he doesn't work out as planned he can always put on 30 pounds and play the Nose.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I feel really terrible about Pressley Harvin and his situation. But Corliss Whitman out punted him a ton in the two games he played. He needs to be the guy.

Let Harvin come back next training camp and compete. I feel he needs to be in better shape, needs to lose about 30 pounds and get more lean add muscle.

I know this is punter we are talking about, but they are still dang athletes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    I was certainly expecting much more out of Harvin this year. The much ballyhooed punter has been pedestrian at best. Crazy to spend a draft pick on him when he could have been signed afterwards and maybe there was a pearl of an Offensive lineman to snatch up late. Start Corliss.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Totally agree, I was shocked to see Harvin punting yesterday even though I fell bad for his situation but Whitman was clearly better.

Bush starting also surprised me that he started. At this point Spillane is better against the run.

Sometimes Tomlin remains stubborn for too long. Also agree he'll trot out Harvin and Bush again next week.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    We can by sympathetic to Harvin's situation and also play Waitman. Both have punted this year and I wouldn't live in my fears of having to play the guy who was drafted. Start Waitman and then have them compete next year for the job.

I'm about done with Bush. I see 0 effort in engaging would be blockers. Make them think twice about blocking you and blow them up early in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Punter, being such an independent role, seems like it'd be very easy to determine the day of. See who kicks better in pregame and give that player the nod.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's an either/or situation - no way they suit up 2 punters, right? :shrug:

22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Hopefully ILB. He can't be any worse than Bush.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Didn't Baltimore's punter have like a 20 yard shank as well?

I also remember Harvin booting a punt like 65 yards.

The good news is that Harvin has Bos to teach him how to over come the shanks.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
  25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ravens punter has been in the league a long time, he is/was a great punter. It is probably one of the few shanks of his career.

• Agree Agree x 1