1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When does Matt Canada's contract expire?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I can't seem to find out the details of Canada's Offensive Coordinator Contract?

Anyone know when his current contract expires?

Steelers have a nasty habit of letting coaches hold onto their job until their contract is over.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    After next week, hopefully

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Someone out there must know the answer to this question.

I am assuming Canada signed a new contract with the Steelers when he was promoted to OC.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It's called no balls with a hint of cheapness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Whether they hold onto Canada or not could shed light on Rudolphs future.

If they keep him, I can’t imagine they go with Rudolph next season, they will look for a more mobile QB.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Usually, these guys get 2-3 year deals I think.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    proof of your claim? Specifically the part about the Steelers being cheap. It seems to be the argument du jour, but not once have I seen details that actually support the claim. Just people like yourself that make the claim, but no evidence to back it up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    How about the fact that the Steelers have one of the lowest staff and payroll in the NFL? Look it up. They spend to the cap on players sure but other expenses that fall outside of that they don't. They didn't even want to pay for the new seats in the south end zone of Heinz.

Dan Rooney had no problem with himself or Bill firing assistants. Once Art took over it seemed like coaches were "retired" or let's wait until their contract is up (i.e. get your money's worth). Not to mention that promoting from within is always the cheaper move.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I heard on the Pat Mcafee show last week that the Bengals don't have a scouting department. The coaches have to go out and look at prospects.

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    They're even cheaper then lol. Doesn't necessarily excuse the Rooney's from doing what they do.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No it doesn't I just find it interesting. I told someone on here that the Brown Family were notoriously cheap

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't doubt that. But compare it to another sports franchise the Pittsburgh Penguins. When GM Jim Rutherford quit, they temporarily made the head scout the GM. But they realized there's no way he can satisfy that role. So they went out and got a somewhat big name in Ron Hextall and one of the biggest to oversee in Brian Burke. So far looking like a good move. But yet I guarantee you the Steelers will just move down the line and give the job to scout Brandon Hunt or Omar Khan (mistake) and thus save $$$ in the process.

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It took all of 3 seconds to google "Steelers coaching staff cheap" and below is what came up. Those that were asking for proof can now provide proof of why they disagreed. It goes both ways, no?

Had the Steelers not talked up the importance of hiring an offensive line coach than the move probably wouldn't have been so vocally criticized. But it speaks volumes to the current state of the Steelers: They're incredibly cheap. The team has the smallest coaching staff and the smallest pay roll for coaches across the entire NFL.
    When did the ‘Standard’ in Pittsburgh become ... - MSN
    upload_2022-1-10_12-51-50.png
    www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/when-did-the-standard-in-pittsburgh-become-ab…

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Not soon enough.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’m no Matt Canada fan. But it seems to me that if they fire him after one yr, it will be an admission of organizational mismanagement.

Fire Fichner because he’s too buddy/buddy with Ben and then hire a guy who runs an offense that’s ill suited for Ben.

Then fire Canada, even though Bens gone and you actually have a chance to run his offense.

Canada has had a imobile QB, a entirely new and inexperienced OL, rookies at RB and TE. You couldn’t really expect this Off to be very good.

But if you fire him now, you’re admitting that you shouldn’t have hired him in the first place and you set him up to fail.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think they keep him for 2022, maybe a more mobile QB would make his offense work better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I don’t think Canada got a fair shake to run his offense with old man Ben but this offense is so putrid to watch how can you bring him back??

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m tired of the short 3rd down throws then immediately running backward or to the sidelines.
    So far no one broke one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    When you know that you have a square peg, you don’t offer a round hole.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    again. Evidence to support your claim. From what I’ve seen the Steelers staff is pretty much the same size as the majority of nfl teams. There is one notable exception and that’s Tampa which has the largest staff in the nfl and it’s not even close. As for contracts I haven’t looked particularly hard, but haven’t seen any numbers associated with how much the Steelers pay vs other nfl teams. So back up your claim with facts not speculation!

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    How does one factually back up someone as being cheap as it's a characterization? If you can't see how this organization behaves and can't put two and two together I don't know what else to tell you. Continue to genuflect at the Rooney altar I guess.

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    so you’re just making the claim without any evidence whatsoever. Despite the fact their staff is basically the same size as every other team. In short just more :bscow: to ***** about.

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    It always amazes me how many of you get so triggered when someone says something not positive about the Rooney's. Like I've insulted your family. I could present evidence to you but you'll discount it anyway no matter what so why bother?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Some people will refuse to accept no matter what.

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed. How does a mobile QB fix all these 3rd and long passes for NO yards???

I am assuming these plays work in college, but in the NFL the defense is just to fast on the outside for a WR or RB to pickup the yardage.

• Agree Agree x 1