1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

To the MDs out there - What's the Difference? Sprained Shoulder vs Separeted Shoulder?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AFan, Nov 13, 2012.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I've been told they are the same thing. But I dont' have any idea if that is true or not.

2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    A sprain is an over stretching of the ligaments. A separation is when the bone is physically displaced and involves the rupturing of the ligament.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    OUCH!!! A separation sounds worse. But I've heard ankle sprains are unbearable.

4. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I separated my left AC joint about 20 years ago in a skiing accident. Well IDK if acting stupid could be considered an accident, but it was definitely many weeks before I could use my arm again. I had to be completely immobilized for 2 weeks (if I remember correctly). I opted for no surgery and I now have a lump on my left shoulder as the two bones are no longer connected. Shoulder is slightly weaker, but IF this is what Ben has I was going to say he'd be out at least 3-4 weeks based on my own personal experience.

However he has an SC sprain from the reports, a bit different from an AC sprain. Its the opposite end of the clavicle and where it connects to the sternum. Again from my own experience, Im thinking the AC joint would be worse and a sprain isn't as bad as a separation. From what Ive read and what I know, it could be worse. But not only am I not a doctor (I did marry one though) I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn either.

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I severely sprained my ankle and was on crutches for 8 weeks. It sucked big time!

6. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Again, I have to agree with Scott.

I just broke my ankle in August so badly that it required 3 pins and a plate. I was "only" on crutches for 30 days and in a boot for 21 more. At 8 weeks I was working out and lightly jogging again.

Everyone was telling me that as bad as it was, a sprain can be much, much worse.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Acting stupid again? LOL. I've never broken or sprained anything so I can't relate to what it might feel like. I'm not saying I want to either. I will just take the word of my fellow friends on here.

8. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Actually being stupid this time. Ignoring foot pain for 3 weeks and 'toughing' it out thinking that I was tough and it will go away. 8 miles into a 10 mile obstacle course race the thing just snapped much like Jeter's did. Out of nowhere. A very loud audible snap and that was all she wrote. In hindsight the pain was some sort of injury like a sprain or stress fracture that weakened my ankle and I relentlessly pounded on it until in gave out. Moral of the story: listen to your body.

And actually, the ankle and shoulder are the only two traumatic (stitches don't count) injuries that Ive had.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've had a few stitches in my life. When I was in 9th grade I got stabbed in the leg with a knife at school and had to get 8 stitches for that. Boys will be boys. lol.

10. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Rough part of town? Wow.

11. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I've had my fair share of injuries too. Broke my left arm twice, broke my wrist (never punch a tile wall!!), tore ligaments in both ankles a combined 7 times, broke my nose 3 times, broke 3 toes, had a fractured skull and easily 100+ stitches.

I had a pretty good relationship with the folks in the local ER when I was younger.

12. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    :shocked:
    Crazy.

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL. No actually I live in a town with THREE, count them, THREE redlights. Right here in the good old Bible Belt where everybody knows everybody. But teenage boys and knives are kinda like oil and water. I'll put it this way. Acts like that at the time were so rare that the ONLY thing they had to put on my leg was some plastic grocery store bags. LOL.

15. steelio

steelio Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011