1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic 2022 QB Options

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jan 4, 2022.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    -Rogers and Wilson won't come here because of the system and the oline.
    -Watson legal problems will prevent him from coming here. Even if he's acquitted of all charges, the media attention is not what Pittsburgh is looking for.
    -Mid-tier free agent quarterback to compete with Mason Rudolph.
    -Draft a quarterback in the mid-rounds for the chance he becomes something salvageable.
    -Someone mentioned build the offensive line. This should be priority number one with defensive line priority number 2.

• Like Like x 2
  2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think we need to add someone in the defensive line group that's rising. Alualu is 34, Heyward 32, and Tuitt can not stay healthy. He even might be a cap casualty. Loudermilk is potentially rising up but Wormley and Adams are good depth pieces but none are future starters. We need that defensive lineman that going to move in and be a starter. If we don't start now, we are going to fine ourselves like our offensive line. A bunch of rookies and cast-offs trying to figure it out on the fly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Foles or Trubisky aren't any better than Mason IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  5. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    Sorry mate, but Foles won a SB and is a super bowl MVP. C'mmon. How in the hell u can compare him to staring in the eyes Mason. no way.

Trubisky might be correct. But In the very few moments I've watched the bears in the past seasons, I liked trubisky's play. There was some excitement and upside in his play for me. And he won his division as a starter in his second year. But I can't really evaluate his performance. so I will trust u

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Even Baker

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    Mason not

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe, but Trubisky has arm talent that Mason lacks. There were times in his stay with the Bears where it looked like the lights might be coming on. I am definitely not advocating for him to be Plan A, but among failed first round QBs I’d rather give him a shot than Haskins.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That’s an interesting counterpoint and I agree with the specifics of your POV, I don’t think the family aren’t going to do some serious digging into the whole context and facts to see if it’s worth landing this talented player because of the legal issues and hurdles they might have to navigate and if it’s worth it from mostly that angle alone.

In this specific case though (and honestly because he’s not just a QB, but a very special one) he will get a lot more consideration and if the actually and really is some above average high standard the Rooney family is guided by more than some other owners then they will lower the bar.

Would you or any others here rather gamble with spending just a high 1st round grade on a QB who could still bust or just be serviceable to below average or two 1st rounders for a proven non bust who is young or three 1st rounders for a proven franchise level QB that if you looked at his stats you’d see his actually been more than special on and average team and below average franchise?

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Minshew, Mariota, Trubisky, Tyrod Taylor,Either of the Cleveland Backups ( Who I thought were both better than Gayfield )

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    fitzmagic. let mason play 3 quarters then bring in fitz to win the game in the 4th. problem solved.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  12. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    It just cracks me up how Trevor Lawrence has become “Sunshine.”

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Just find the next Tom Brady in Round 6 and we will be good, it seems like a good game plan to me....

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Exactly, why is that so hard?

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I would gamble in the draft and take a QB in the first before I would even consider gambling two let alone three first rounders on Watson. That's just insane imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Heard on the radio he is on the books for 45 million this year. I know those numbers can get rerouted on many different ways, but that is insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is why I began that part of my post with if they get both Tuitt and Alualu back. They might not get either of them. While they do need to invest in the defensive line at some point, the point was that if they could get those six guys back for next season, they could focus on other priorities in free agency. Center, offensive tackle, quarterback, cornerback, inside linebacker, and strong safety would all be higher priorities if they could get their top six in place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We can always get the next Tee Martin in the 5th.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If we can get an extra 6th, we may as well also get the next Antonio Brown.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    he is but isnt the trading team on the hook for any guaranteed money ? the rams ate 25 million in dead cap this year for Golf, and was only a 10.6 million cap hit for detroit.
    i believe rodgers would only cost the team that gets him 30 million. and green bay still has to pay him the 16 million in signing bonus money because they already have
    arthur moats explained it on his podcast once. he said guaranteed money is paid in full right after the contract is signed. so the player has already been paid all that guaranteed money already , its just that the team gets to spread it out on the salary cap sheet over the length of the contract..

22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    You are probably correct. I was speaking more in terms of the Vikes. I know things can be moved around if they want to keep him, but 45 million for him! No thanks lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    oh kirk cousins ? all of his money is guaranteed. i dont see how they could cut or trade him. only 10 million of it was signing bonus money though. so wouldnt his new team if traded have to pay him the 35 million base salary ?
    but i could be wrong

Contract Notes:
    • $31M newly guaranteed at signing (2020 salary + 2021 salary)
    • $30M guaranteed from previous contract (converted to signing bonus)
    • 2022 salary fully guarantees on 3/19/2021 (injury guaranteed now)
    • Super Bowl Win: $500,000
    • Super Bowl Win, Top Eight Points Scored Rank, Super Bowl MVP: $2M

24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Bad problem is Tomlin loves Kirk Cousins, going back to his MSU days.
    Cousins is so overrated its not funny.

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yes he won SB MVP but that was a Super Bowl won by a team catching lighting in a bottle. Mason could have a few moments like Foles had in his career.

• Like Like x 1