1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The drafting of Terrell Edmunds vs Darius Leonard debate

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They were supposed to throw away a years worth of work setting up a draft board and look at lists of analyst rankings, ignore the ones that had Edmunds ranked higher and then choose the unspectacular player no one else wanted but alas, they didn’t have the gift of hindsight to see the all pro performance awaiting them.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Formerscribe was right.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Even if we didn't draft Leonard. Edmunds was a bad pick

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So glad we get to discuss this pointless subject again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Spilt milk,
    Has any body everheard that is water under the bridge, crying over spilt milk?

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or I could start another lame Tomlin thread, I only posted it because some in the media mentioned it this week.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's the thing. It's not hindsight. I did want Leonard at the time, though not because I had any great knowledge about him. He was just the next inside linebacker available. I didn't post that I wanted Leonard, so I can't prove it. You refuse to believe me. That is the same thing as saying I'm lying. I'm perfectly calm, but that is also a fair characterization of the conversation.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What else is there to do? We are actually going to be watching meaningless games the rest of the way.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You may have misrepresented yourself but for a time you were absolutely presenting the case that you wanted Leonard. It wasn’t I until I pointed out that no one in the draft thread including you mentioned Leonard. At that point you started saying the next best ILB. Again, maybe you just misrepresented your position but you were pimping it that way.

And oh yeah, still hindsight.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Leonard was the next best ILB. That was why I wanted him, not because of some great knowledge about the player. I didn't expect him to be a great player, but I also didn't misrepresent anything. You are wrong about it being hindsight, but I can't prove it, so I will just have to live with you inferring that I am a liar. :shrug:

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2022-1-2_20-37-30.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You do realize that Leonard was far from being the consensus next-best LB in that draft. Gil Brandt, who is probably still the best media draftnik, had Josey Jewel of the Broncos ahead of him (he had Leonard at 100). The Draft Network guys had Jerome Baker of the Dolphins (also a better player than Edmunds) ahead of him. CBS/Draft Scout did have Leonard next at that point in the draft. I’m not going to bother trying to find other media outlets’ rankings. Honing in on Leonard specifically as “the” next LB is hindsight. There were actually a few “next” LBs at that point in the draft once the top guys were selected.

For the record, Justin Reid was the next player on my board when we took Edmunds. Admittedly, I didn’t spend my usual amount of time watching prospects that offseason and had not watched film of any of the LBs drafted outside of the first round in 2018, so I personally did not have a “next” LB on my board.

All of that said, there was no reason for steelersrule6 to troll you and rekindle this debate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Repeating a false statement as a GIF does not make it true.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The lists I had seen had Leonard next.

I agree that he shouldn't be trolling, but I guess he wants to keep reminding us that he is wrong.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was actually a great episode. With the Great Cthulhu in it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Words for you to live by!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please do find an example of me posting a GIF that was not accurate. It shouldn't be difficult. I don't post many of them.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Repeating false statements. You say things 9 million times and think it makes you right.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    9 million? i just can't read that much. :smiley1::cool:

21. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If only the Steelers were smart enough tonk that season... they could of planted for the future and drafted Mayfield or Darnold instead of Edmunds.

Do some of you see how stupid that sounds?

HACK

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    None of those is a GIF. Also, that simply isn't true. I know you think they are false, but you are mistaken.

23. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I wanted Edmunds (not in the first) but I also wanted the freak athlete Lorenzo Carter to play ILB for us. They went offence on their next 3 picks when our run d was terrible the previous season. The only other defensive player they drafted was Marcus Allen who can not play the position they have put him in. That draft made me lose my enthusiasm for anticipating it. I just take it as it comes now.

24. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    1. Edmunds played poorly his first 2 seasons. He is playing much better now and is a quality starter. He gets way too much hate. (Expect him to struggle vs Kelce though)

2. Steelers will not draft an ILB that runs a 4.7 in the 1st. Will not happen. Bush ran a 4.43 which is ridiculous for a LB. Shazier ran an unofficial 4.36.

Tomlin's defense requires the ILB to cover TE. They'll want Devin Lloyd in the 1st this year maybe.

• Agree Agree x 1